An outsiders view

bigg10

My point was, all you can do is run. Thats going to be a hard row to hoe in the B10, as most teams gear up to stop the run, where as in the B12 most everybody was sold on stopping the air attack.

I know you are all new to the conf and do not know what to expect and it showed in WI, but please dont feed Buckys ego by saying they are NC or top 5 team, as they are not. I suspect you will see some B10 teams give Bucky a run for the money and they may be teams that you guys hammer, thats kind of how it goes around here.

You all had/have alot on your plate this year and every week is going to be tough, it's hard to get ready for all those new teams. Anyway keep your heads up and take it week by week.

Thanks for the welcome, but I disagree with the "all you can do is run" comment. We've got young, talented, and hungry WRs, but we just don't have a competent QB to get the ball to them. Martinez's accuracy drops off severely after 10 or so yards, and we've known that for some time.

I think as soon as we get our secondary locked down, our entire defense will become better rather quickly. That, and if we figure out how to utilize our WRs more effectively, our upcoming round 2 between Bucky and Herbie will be a different and better event.

Not having a qb that can sling it for two years now, is not a good way to develope WR's. Just saying, they could be world beaters, but without reps, that fades away.

Also please dont view these post as bashing, thats not what I am trying to do. I am trying to help you understand what problems you may encounter this year in the B10.

For those that disagree with me, how many rush yards did you have at the first part of the 2nd Q? (low 30's) I think you were on track to avg 120 rush yards for the whole game at the rate you were going. Pass yards, was almost 3 times as much. They shut down your run game and said beat us thru the air, and lets face it option football is NOT for teams that have an air attack. Like I said look at Mich and their record last year, and I hate to tell you this but their air attack is 10 times better than yours. You will struggle alot in the B10 playing that kind of ball. Plus, and again I got hammered for saying this, but even the annousers said it during that game, option qb's take a beating, Which increases the odds of an injury.

So it was not play calling. What was called WAS what was working. That first scoring drive tmart fumble, rex fumble. I think the only reason you got a score on that drive was because Wisky coughed it back up and gave you great field position. I know none of you want to hear this, but these are the facts.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=312740275

http://scores.espn.g...740275&period=2

I don't feel the need to dispute anything, you are not saying anything that is incorrect. It is a hard pill to swallow watching your team outplay themselves. This is a sad football team that needs to find something quick or it will be a long season....

First of all......i really like the "welcome to the Big ten" comment. Seems as if everyone got the memo including the announcers to say it as much as they could....but I digress.

Bigg10, first of all to say the option doesn't work, is idiotic. Looks like Georgia Tech is doing alright. We don't run the option. In case you didn't notice, we threw three interceptions by a qb who is not that good. No one, and I mean no one can overcome crap like that. 21 pts off turnovers. Our secondary, was out of placed. Been that way all year. You guys just exposed what we already knew. No doubt Wisconsin is good....but really??? To sit on your perch and act like the Huskers won't be able to do anything and to act like the Big Ten is some superconference is insane. Now, look at our history and you will clearly see trophies. We are off no doubt about it. But, I don't remember wisconsin doing jack squat for a while. Plus, the horned frogs showed you how speed can kill, and it did. So, take a deep breath, enjoy your win and do it with class.

College Football is cyclical.....you guys will have your run....this year is probably it. Thank wilson for the memories....because it will be short lived.

Like I said you will win some and lose some, we all do. Keep heads high and win or lose do it with class. I know Bo has a bit of trouble with that concept. Give him time, B10 is not the same as B12 and he will need to recruit a few more classes before you can judge where he is going with your storied program. Since I am a Hawk fan, I cant really wish you luck, as your luck would hurt my team, but I will just leave it at I hope you guys play good games the rest of the year. I will be trying to make it down in Nov, but my wife was told they (friends that still live there) would not look for tickets for her (shes a husker fan and from there) if she was going to give me one (a Hawk fan). I thought that was kinda crappy, but whatever.

Completely disagree with what you said.

Our defense was the larger issue in that game. Flat out, you aren't gonna beat anyone if your defense can't stop anybody, especially when your team is reliant on the run game.

With that said, we are still probably one of the better running teams in the Big 10. Our offense is not built to air it out, as Beck (and Martinez probably audibled a few times as well) did. You showing us the stats doesn't really show much, as we also passed more than we attempted to run. When we ran, they weren't really "stuffing" us at all. However, due to the score, we really didn't have the team to run, run, run.

And I doubt anyone in the Big 10 will give Wiscy a serious run for their money, aside from possibly Michigan State - but Camp Randall at night - tough place to play...

Flat out - we are better than what we showed, but not better than Wisconsin IMO. And our offense will do just fine in the big 10, as long as we stay away from passing 15 consecutive plays... and I'm one of people that would love to see Martinez sit, not a QB in my eyes.

My point was, all you can do is run. Thats going to be a hard row to hoe in the B10, as most teams gear up to stop the run, where as in the B12 most everybody was sold on stopping the air attack.

I know you are all new to the conf and do not know what to expect and it showed in WI, but please dont feed Buckys ego by saying they are NC or top 5 team, as they are not. I suspect you will see some B10 teams give Bucky a run for the money and they may be teams that you guys hammer, thats kind of how it goes around here.

You all had/have alot on your plate this year and every week is going to be tough, it's hard to get ready for all those new teams. Anyway keep your heads up and take it week by week.

Thanks for the welcome, but I disagree with the "all you can do is run" comment. We've got young, talented, and hungry WRs, but we just don't have a competent QB to get the ball to them. Martinez's accuracy drops off severely after 10 or so yards, and we've known that for some time.

I think as soon as we get our secondary locked down, our entire defense will become better rather quickly. That, and if we figure out how to utilize our WRs more effectively, our upcoming round 2 between Bucky and Herbie will be a different and better event.

Not having a qb that can sling it for two years now, is not a good way to develope WR's. Just saying, they could be world beaters, but without reps, that fades away.

Also please dont view these post as bashing, thats not what I am trying to do. I am trying to help you understand what problems you may encounter this year in the B10.

The problem we'll face in the big 10 is not playing decent defense. Our defense has been horrendous. Our biggest issue, IMO, will be our defense letting teams score, us starting to get down and feel the need to air it out to comeback, resulting in a Wisconsin-like game.

Just my observation... there seems to be a whole lotta B1G teams this year scrambling to put the pieces together... (Winconsin pretty much excluded from this discussion)... Watching the tOSU game (minus 4 - 5 of their starters) they certainly have a defense, but are stuck with a true Freshman QB to run the offense and it showed, Sparty is hurting on the O-line (again !!!) and we have trouble establishing the run because of this to help protect Cousins and develop a 'balanced attack' that Sparty needs to be effective. Northwestern needs Persa to be able to contend and it seems he possibly reinjured himself in the loss to the Illini. PSU is still trying to find a QB (Hmmmmmm..... does this sound familiar for many of the B1G teams ???) and it shows in their execution (or lack thereof).

The one takeaway I got from the Husker/Badger game was Bo Pelini controlled himself and didn't blow a head gasket!!! I was really impressed (did TO put a lock-down on him this year???). I feel sorry for the Huskers to have to listen to Bo this week... not good for the eardrums or in self-confidence. It seems at times the team is afraid to make a mistake, or they will come under intense scrutiny. Still the season is young and there is alot of great football to be played...

• Fire 1

Running the option is about the best

It's not like there's much choice in the matter, which is the real problem. Martinez can't make precision throws, doesn't time his throws well and likes to stare down his receiver. His option reads are iffy from time to time but at least if he blows an option read he can make a play with his feet.

IMO we need to run stick with the option and run more. Miama ran on the Buckeyes; hopefully Nebraska can do the same.

Running the option is about the best

It's not like there's much choice in the matter, which is the real problem. Martinez can't make precision throws, doesn't time his throws well and likes to stare down his receiver. His option reads are iffy from time to time but at least if he blows an option read he can make a play with his feet.

IMO we need to run stick with the option and run more. Miama ran on the Buckeyes; hopefully Nebraska can do the same.

I agree. It is what it is. Gotta recruit qb not another rb. Kinda gotta run whatcha brung.