Chips are down for Bo, Martinez

zoogs

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score.

This simply isn't true. The offense has improved its sustained drives, between the tackles running and red zone scoring as the season goes on and the o-line improves dramatically.

And if the thing that kills a sustained drive is Martinez, Burkhead or a Reciever finding open field and blazing their way to a long TD, I'll take that any day.

What is wrong with you people?

we're not true fans...

i only like the huskers to criticize everything about them.

This article really nailed it. When we clear away all the BS the issue is pretty simple. A choice was made to go with a quarterback who after 17 starts has done nothing in any key situation to prove he's a quarterback. He lacks a ranged skill set, worsened by the fact that his main asset is pure track speed, and has imploded time and again. Oh, and he's a living turnover machine.

I'm not calling for Carnes. What I'm calling for is preparing him to take the reigns if this nonsense continues. It should have been done in all four non conference games. It should have been done for the end stages of the Wisconsin game. And this isn't some shadowy two-step to create a QB controversy that isn't there; it's common sense. We have an offense predicated upon a running QB. The statistics are overwhelming that he'll get dinged up at some point, even if it's only for a series. But if the worse should happen and Taylor goes down for a season, where's Pelini's stack of chips then?

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score. I heard something on the Wyoming game that Bo said that irked me. He could live with the Big plays from Taylor, but Bo what happens when we are limited by big plays or get none at all? It's a guaranteed loss. this offense has regressed from last year. Now every team left will key in on the big plays and try to limit them. If Carnes can march the team down the field and score a td and not rely solely on big plays to score then he needs to be in there. Bo really needs to see what he has in his back ups.

Live by the big play, die by the big play. During the nonconference, there were those of us saying we couldn't have the season we wanted relying on the big play. Unfortunately, we do not have the OL to march down the field 80 yards grinding it out. I don't think it really matters who we put behind center because our OL isn't good enough to allow maintained grind'em out drives.

In terms of utilizing the back up QB, Bo learned from the master Solich. The 2002 season more than likely wouldn't have been as dismal as it was had Lord been given a lot more rep's earlier in his career.

True enough that this Oline is laughable (at best) relative to our previous pipelines. No question about that.

Nevertheless, imo it's our best bet to attempt to grind out drives because.....

1. Beck has stated many times that running the ball is going to be our identity. "If" that's true we've got to go that direction and get the required reps for everybody.

2. We've got SuperRex & the triplets. That's four wildly talented rbs. Use them.

3. Tmart is not a pocket passer (at all). The haters claim Carnes is (already...of course) but even if true his passing game will be vastly easier for him if the opponents are sweating the load about stopping our running game.

4. The one thing that our geography gives us is road-graders. Use them.

5. If we do start having any success running the ball Tmart/Carnes will have easy pickings with PA to Reed, Turner, Bell, etc.

As I see it it's either the above or start all over (yet again). This is your "one" big shot Tim.....don't blow it.

GBR!!

Bo will never win a piss fight with the press, soon Perleman will be all over his ass again.......Osbourne never acted this way, what is Bo's excuse?

Devaney sure as hell did. I guess he didn't rate acceptable with you either.

were you even born before Devaney coached at NU?

Hell yeah. Born & raised in Lincoln. He wasn't the PC wimp (at all) that people like you pine for. I guess NU was just lucky he built the NU program before your PC police took over.

• Fire 1

True enough that this Oline is laughable (at best) relative to our previous pipelines. No question about that.

Nevertheless, imo it's our best bet to attempt to grind out drives because.....

1. Beck has stated many times that running the ball is going to be our identity. "If" that's true we've got to go that direction and get the required reps for everybody.

2. We've got SuperRex & the triplets. That's four wildly talented rbs. Use them.

3. Tmart is not a pocket passer (at all). The haters claim Carnes is (already...of course) but even if true his passing game will be vastly easier for him if the opponents are sweating the load about stopping our running game.

4. The one thing that our geography gives us is road-graders. Use them.

5. If we do start having any success running the ball Tmart/Carnes will have easy pickings with PA to Reed, Turner, Bell, etc.

As I see it it's either the above or start all over (yet again). This is your "one" big shot Tim.....don't blow it.

GBR!!

I definitely have been critical of Martinez and Beck - not a "hater" - but I don't want a pocket passer. Martinez definitely isn't a pocket passer, but I would also argue he's not a very good passer period. Rolling him out to pass is usually a train wreck unless he takes off and runs. It's funny you mention PA, because that's usually the only time he completes passes because normally the receiver is wide open. This is assuming he can find the wide open receiver.

Anyway, our o-line is okay and we have some very talented RBs. Hand off to them and watch them work. I disagree with Chatelain that letting Martinez "manage" the game would kind of go against the point of having him in there. I disagree. He provides a running threat that defenses have to gameplan against, which opens up the run game for the RBs (if Beck actually decides to use them) and also opens up the PA game.

I think if Becks sticks with this gameplan, the offense will be moderately successful this year and win anywhere from eight to ten games.

Bo will never win a piss fight with the press, soon Perleman will be all over his ass again.......Osbourne never acted this way, what is Bo's excuse?

Devaney sure as hell did. I guess he didn't rate acceptable with you either.

were you even born before Devaney coached at NU?

Hell yeah. Born & raised in Lincoln. He wasn't the PC wimp (at all) that people like you pine for. I guess NU was just lucky he built the NU program before your PC police took over.

Well, to be fair, the media wasn't as pervasive then as it is now AND we really didn't have any sort of reputation or tradition when Devaney was the coach. Apples and oranges

Guess Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler and Paul Bear Bryant and Mike Ditka and Vince Lombardi were all bad coaches too because of their problem attitudes.

With regard to Hayes: I'll forgive a lot of a coach's transgressions if they're fielding a consistently winning team, but I can't forgive punching one of the players. When your anger management issues run that deep, that is, indeed, a problem.

I definitely have been critical of Martinez and Beck - not a "hater" - but I don't want a pocket passer. Martinez definitely isn't a pocket passer, but I would also argue he's not a very good passer period. Rolling him out to pass is usually a train wreck unless he takes off and runs. It's funny you mention PA, because that's usually the only time he completes passes because normally the receiver is wide open. This is assuming he can find the wide open receiver.

Anyway, our o-line is okay and we have some very talented RBs. Hand off to them and watch them work. I disagree with Chatelain that letting Martinez "manage" the game would kind of go against the point of having him in there. I disagree. He provides a running threat that defenses have to gameplan against, which opens up the run game for the RBs (if Beck actually decides to use them) and also opens up the PA game.

I think if Becks sticks with this gameplan, the offense will be moderately successful this year and win anywhere from eight to ten games.

Heck yes! It will only get better with time too. Pipelines aren't created in five minutes so we'll just have to hang tough awhile. You bet, just Tmart being out there helps our rbs & wrs. The haters hate him being on the field but not as much as opponent DCs do. Throw a pocket passer out there and those advantages instantly vanish.

I fully agree we won't be overwhelming this year on offense but if Beck sticks to his guns (doesn't go into the Texas Tech mode) they'll be dangerous and will improve (on average) throughout the year.

Now, if only Bo can fix the defense......

GBR!!

Heck yes! It will only get better with time too. Pipelines aren't created in five minutes so we'll just have to hang tough awhile. You bet, just Tmart being out there helps our rbs & wrs. The haters hate him being on the field but not as much as opponent DCs do. Throw a pocket passer out there and those advantages instantly vanish.

I fully agree we won't be overwhelming this year on offense but if Beck sticks to his guns (doesn't go into the Texas Tech mode) they'll be dangerous and will improve (on average) throughout the year.

GBR!!

Actually the bolded part is incorrect. I have not seen many posts calling for his benching, more calling for a position change, say like receiver. Nobody can deny he is a threat with his feet, but that does not translate into a good QB.

GBR!!

Actually the bolded part is incorrect. I have not seen many posts calling for his benching, more calling for a position change, say like receiver. Nobody can deny he is a threat with his feet, but that does not translate into a good QB.

Depends on what offense you're running. A "good" qb is totally dependent on just that. Dan Marino/T. Brady/etc would be sh*t on TO's offense. Or Georgia Tech's offense. Frost, Crouch or Frazier would be sh*t for Texas Tech's offense and so on.....

Depends on what offense you're running. A "good" qb is totally dependent on just that. Dan Marino/T. Brady/etc would be sh*t on TO's offense. Or Georgia Tech's offense. Frost, Crouch or Frazier would be sh*t for Texas Tech's offense and so on.....

I'm thinking as we go forward, the passing game will be an important aspect of this offense. Every game this season, we have thrown at least 20 times a game. I see this continuing. Maybe not 14 passes in a row, but a significant amount of passing. Martinez needs to be more accurate with his passing and cut down interceptions. Hell, I'd be happy with a 60% completion rate. Just get our receivers the ball and let them work. We CANNOT just let their talent go to waste. We have great RBs and WRs and we need to get them all the ball.

I respect your opinion bshirt, but I don't think we will ever agree on the direction of the offense. Your more of a old-school smashmouth/option guy and I want a little more balance in the offense. Personally, I think the most exciting play in football is a 50 yard bomb. I stand up everytime I see that ball sailing down the field and go nuts if we catch it.

That's the problem. Taylor doesn't really fit any particular system, because his skillset isn't ideally suited for being a quarterback. That's why I think the comparisons to Frazier, Crouch, et al. are so off-base.