Our Big 12 North Chances

From rojo:

Why we will reclaim the Big 12-North.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being yearly Big 12 Championship contenders would be nice, but….

I. First we have to re-establish leadership in the Big 12 North.

--KSU has beat Nebraska in 4 of the last 5 years.

--CU has beat Nebraska in 3 of the last 4 years.

--ISU has beat Nebraska in 2 of the last 4 years.

II. Things are changing in the North. A look at the last five years of recruiting: (Rankings from Rivals)

2002 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#10: Colorado

--#14: Kansas State

--#29: Missouri

--#30: Iowa State

--#40: Nebraska

--#58: Kansas

2003 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#19: Colorado

--#28: Missouri

--#39: Kansas

--#42: Nebraska

--#46: Iowa State

--#60: Kansas State

2004 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#18: Kansas State

--#27: Nebraska (Solich/Callahan)

--#42: Iowa State

--#49: Colorado

--#51: Kansas

2005 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#5: Nebraska

--#36: Kansas State

--#39: Missouri

--#43: Colorado

--#48: Kansas

--#58: Iowa State

Current 2006 Recruiting Class Rankings: (Rivals--10/18/05)

--#13: Nebraska

--#41: Kansas

--#44: Missouri

--#50: Kansas State

--#51: Iowa State

--#66: Colorado

Things are changing. There’s steady progress. Even some apparent “separation.”

III. There are still doubters around:

--Those who feel Pederson was wrong to make the change.

--Those who feel that our new staff can’t take us back to where we once were.

But with each month that passes, it’s harder to argue for those positions.

John Blake may have had it right last December after our 5-6 season:

“Folks should go ahead and take their shots [at us] now, because in a year or two they’ll be singing a different tune.”

In fact…. Some think they’re starting to hear a little music right now.

Just some things to think about…..

I agree with the ESPN magazine in the statement they make about the Option attack could not make an effective comeback offense, like the West Coast offense is doing. I

Yeah, a start like NU had against TT would have caused former Husker teams to go into the fetal position due to the lack of a passing game threat.

I know that Callahan will do well at Nebraska, very well actually. I agree with the ESPN magazine in the statement they make about the Option attack could not make an effective comeback offense, like the West Coast offense is doing. I believe we will soon be the exemplary West Coast team just as we were once the exemplary power running team.

Seems to me the only problem with the system is BC's verbage. I wonder if he could cut it down a little bit.

From rojo:

Why we will reclaim the Big 12-North.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being yearly Big 12 Championship contenders would be nice, but….

I. First we have to re-establish leadership in the Big 12 North.

--KSU has beat Nebraska in 4 of the last 5 years.

--CU has beat Nebraska in 3 of the last 4 years.

--ISU has beat Nebraska in 2 of the last 4 years.

II. Things are changing in the North. A look at the last five years of recruiting: (Rankings from Rivals)

2002 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#10: Colorado

--#14: Kansas State

--#30: Iowa State

--#40: Nebraska

--#58: Kansas

2003 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#19: Colorado

--#28: Missouri

--#39: Kansas

--#42: Nebraska

--#46: Iowa State

--#60: Kansas State

2004 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#18: Kansas State

--#27: Nebraska (Solich/Callahan)

--#42: Iowa State

--#49: Colorado

--#51: Kansas

2005 Recruiting Class Rankings:

--#5: Nebraska

--#36: Kansas State

--#39: Missouri

--#43: Colorado

--#48: Kansas

--#58: Iowa State

Current 2006 Recruiting Class Rankings: (Rivals--10/18/05)

--#13: Nebraska

--#41: Kansas

--#44: Missouri

--#50: Kansas State

--#51: Iowa State

--#66: Colorado

Things are changing. There’s steady progress. Even some apparent “separation.”

III. There are still doubters around:

--Those who feel Pederson was wrong to make the change.

--Those who feel that our new staff can’t take us back to where we once were.

But with each month that passes, it’s harder to argue for those positions.

John Blake may have had it right last December after our 5-6 season:

“Folks should go ahead and take their shots [at us] now, because in a year or two they’ll be singing a different tune.”

In fact…. Some think they’re starting to hear a little music right now.

Just some things to think about…..

Nice Post now what kind of BS former says to this.

I still dont like Calahan. I think that he lacked the ability to control his players. However this is not something that he is showing a lack of here and NU.

I will support whomever is our coach. I am a Husker Fan and I just dont want to have to watch the team be 5-6 ever again.

It is great to see some of the speed and quickness that has been recruited. It is going to be a real Hoot when we get to see Lucky and the likes running around and through people

(side note)

I love watching Lucky run the ball. He has moves...however he just is barreling into people when he has no where else to go. Have you also noticed how well him and Glenn hold onto the ball. Work of beauty.

Need Web Now: Your comment about BC not being able to control his players I assume was in reference to his last year with the Raiders. Those egomaniac premadonnas rebeled against him regarding his requirements of training. After all, they went to the title game the year prior. Many of those players now have either retired, were traded or are now on the losing team in Oakland. The 2 Nebraska players who played for him (NU/UNO) supported him then!

Yes i Would be refering to his last years in OAK. The thing was it was Grudens team really and not Calli's team. So it was not built the way it should.

In the college game it is different for him as these kids should listen as they want to get where he coached.

I just think that sometimes he is a little hard headed on "his way" when he should have lightened up. What i mean by that is last season for nebraska.

On one hand you are changing the entire offense and you want to prove that you are committed to it come hell or high water. However it was obious to everyone that Bill did not have the players for his WCO. So why not keep some of the old playbook around. Did he start using his only weapon exclusivly in Ross later in the year. Yes. Well what is my point anyway. I love NU and I like what i am starting to see and he is making a believer out of me.

:clap

I agree with the ESPN magazine in the statement they make about the Option attack could not make an effective comeback offense, like the West Coast offense is doing. I

Yeah, a start like NU had against TT would have caused former Husker teams to go into the fetal position due to the lack of a passing game threat.

This is simply a false statement. It sounds great in support of BC and the current team and I can appreciate that but to even come close to insinuating that past Husker teams couldn't come back or the option couldn't recover a deficit is completely ludicrous.

Hell, even the 7-7 team from 2002 came from 10 points down at Texas A&M in the 4th quarter. With the athletes NU had on "former husker teams" you could have run a Pop Warner offensive scheme and won. Its all about the athletes and that is where this staff needs to be commended and praised, not by saying this offense is superior to the previous one.

This outdated argument for the option has been going around since the wishbone left Oklahoma, pretty sure NU won some NC after that with the option. Its all about the athletes.