Rulebook Question (Not our "fumble")

ahhhh... I didn't even think of this. Anyone have the rulebook handy? Is that written in the rules that you can't have 2 forward passes in one play, even if the first was behind the LOS?

It was a pitch backwards. You can see that clearly. Also the rule on that is very clear and easy to understand.

On the trick play? the first toss was to a player running in front of Gray, then the reverse man got the ball, then Gray got it again. When he threw it downfield it was the SECOND forward pass on the play.

They got our fumble call right based on the rules, but it's a stupid rule IMO.

ahhhh... I didn't even think of this. Anyone have the rulebook handy? Is that written in the rules that you can't have 2 forward passes in one play, even if the first was behind the LOS?

It was a pitch backwards. You can see that clearly. Also the rule on that is very clear and easy to understand.

On the trick play? the first toss was to a player running in front of Gray, then the reverse man got the ball, then Gray got it again. When he threw it downfield it was the SECOND forward pass on the play.

They got our fumble call right based on the rules, but it's a stupid rule IMO.

okaive is talking about Nebraska's fourth down play in the first quarter. The ball was pitched backwards to Aaron Green and it hit him in the hands and went forward past the first down marker. That's why it was a first down.

I just rewatched that Minnesota trick play in the 3rd quarter. The QB definitely toss it forward. If the receiver had dropped it, it would've been an incompletion, not a fumble. So the long pass was an illegal 2nd pass. Good catch.

I was wondering about our fumble, since it was 4th down.

edit: nevermind, I see where the rule is different for backwards passes vs. fumbles.

"When a backward pass goes out of bounds between the goal

lines, the ball belongs to the passing team at the out-of-bounds spot"

Why is everyone calling this a fumble? Aaron Green never had possession of the ball, it hit him in the hands and he forced it forward trying to grab it. It was a very bad pitch from Martinez.

We got lucky twice, one it bounced out of bounds not giving Minnesota a chance to recover, and two it went out of bounds past the first down marker.

I don't actually see a reason to change this rule. Unless you want to make an incomplete backwards pass a dead ball instead of live ball, i dont see a reason to change the rule.

Speaking of rules, I made an interesting observation in the TT vs. OU game late, late, late last night. With around five minutes left, TT was starting to milk the clock and was forced to punt from their own 10/15 yard line. The punter let the play clock run down too far and got called for "delay of game". The refs then put another 20 seconds on the play clock and wound the game clock to keep it running. So, in essence, TT was able to run an EXTRA 20 seconds off the game clock.

If the clock continues to run after a "delay" penalty, why not keep taking the penalties until there is no time left? Especially in TT's situation where the penalties would be half the distance and really not that costly when it comes to field position if OU called the timeout and forced the punt.

just curious...

^^^^ the opposing coach could choose to decline the penalty. Not sure what would happen to the clock tho...

It's a dead ball penalty. The punt would never happen, so declining the penalty wouldn't give the opposing team the ball.

After thinking about it (I haven't actually read the rule though) I believe that the clock only stops for penalties inside the final 5 minutes of the half. It was late and I was tired, it is possible there was more time on the clock than I thought.