Dare I say, REX 4 Heisman...

Vince R.

He should definately be in consideration for it. Nobody on the national level took Suh seriously as a Heisman contender until the CCG vs Texas. It's definately not too late to skyrocket up some ballets.

But I agree with the general concensus that he'll be in the consideration from the get-go next year. Unless he decides to throw his hat into the NFL draft ring, which I honestly don't see happening.

Not to totally disagree with you but didn't Suh have that virtual ESPN fan voting ballot going for him. Although I don't think it's never to late to get media attention, the heisman card might just be out his reach this year. Unless he has monster games from here on out then there is a possiblity. He definetly should be mentioned next year!

I think one thing that's playing against Rex right now is he didn't have a lot of that early season hype surrounding him like many of these other Heisman contenders did. Yes, one could argue that Suh didn't get a lot of attention until after the championship game, but people already had him throw in there before that game. It just wasn't until after the game that he really skyrocketed.

Furthermore, Nebraska won't be playing for a national title this year, and they'll have to at least play for and win the Big 10 title in order for him to seriously have a chance to win. He'll also need to get around 1,600 yards on the season. This is the biggest issue for Rex. Even if we make it to the title game, he needs to keep that production up and we need to playing for at least a BCS bowl. It's been awhile since a player not playing in the MNC or a BCS bowl won the Heisman. Almost every one of those Heisman frontrunners has a big game coming up they could potentially lose. If we don't lose another game, those teams do, Burkhead keeps his production up, and we win the Big 10 title, it's possible Burkhead could be in New York.

But that's a lot of ifs.

As much as he deserves it, I don't think he's flashy enough to win it, though it is stupid because as far as consistency goes, he's probably the best in the nation game in and game out.

Wasn't Toby Gerhart the same way a little bit? Didn't have great top end speed but was a real bruiser and found the holes for big yards, occasionally breaking off a big gain for a touchdown? I don't think Burkhead is as big as Gerhart was but I don't have their numbers in front of me.

But yes, Richardson is definitely your more Heisman-esque back of the two right now. He's had Heisman worthy runs this year, while Burkhead has quietly been putting together big games without the flashiness.

Rex has to be involved in the conversation next year. This year he won't get much consideration unless we win out - then he may even get invited to New York. The toughness of our schedule is both in Rex's favor and against him. If we win out, against that tough schedule, with just the one blip against Wiscy, we'll be going to the Rose Bowl and in the BCS top five.

Next year, if we feature him like we have been lately, he will get in the conversation early. We just can't have any Wisconsin-esque losses or he'll never get it.

Statistically Rex is the 18th ranked back in the country. He's definitely this teams MVP. When he didn't get up in the game yesterday I was holding my breath a bit. I did feel like we could have spread the carries around a bit more but the way Abdullah was fumbling the ball every time he touched it I could see why the coaches may not have wanted to involve him. Next year could be a great year for Rex, but I could see his stats being down a bit again because we will surely be distributing the carries even more between Green, Abdullah and Heard.

Hiesman is a damn joke anymore. I dont even pay attention to it or to who's involved. It was awesome to see Suh in the converstation, but we all knew he didnt have a prayer. It used to be an anomoly to see a junior win it and now we've had how many sophmores in recent years. It's just a joke anymore. Just a pretty boy contest for media darlings.