Lauren Cook Arrested

The article doesn't say how badly the motorcyclist was injured. That's a 45 zone, but most folks zip through there pretty quickly. I really, really hope they're OK. That's a scary accident with major injury potential.

As for Lauren..... Wow. That is a serious lapse of judgment.

I doubt seriously she can play the rest of this season. I don't see how you don't suspend her.

Bridgett Root will take over at Setter for Cook. Root is no slouch. She is not as good as Cook, but she isn't chopped liver. We'll be OK, but unless the hitters gel with Root quickly we're out of national championship contention.

We'll be OK, but unless the hitters gel with Root quickly we're out of national championship contention.

-If- she is suspended for the rest of the season (including post-season) we'll be lucky to win 2 matches in the NCAAs.

Root is that bad? I don't think so.

Not saying she is bad at all. I just think we would lose a few matches in the remaining schedule, and get an unfriendly seed in the NCAAs...which would mean a more difficult round 3 (Regionals) pairing. IMO

My original post was meant to refer to Regionals...not the 'official' round two...so I will update to say "lucky to win 3 matches".

Let's wait and see what Root can do.

It wouldn't have surprised me to lose a couple of matches on the remaining schedule with Cook at the helm. We have a TOUGH schedule. We play at Purdue, then turn around and play Minnesota at home in four days. We also still have Michigan State, but it's at the Coliseum, so that should help. Luckily we don't play @ Illinois this year - we got a break getting them just once, at home.

Oh wow...

I really like Lauren and most of the girls on the team, but as a a rider myself this really has me fuming. She is lucky that it was "just" a broken leg and her family is probably well insured, because serious accidents involving motorcyclist will ruin people financially. Driving with a suspended license and failing to report an injury accident adds two more degrees of negligence. Just unimaginably stupid on Lauren's part. For now I am more concerned about her than the team and I hope that John handles it the right way...if there is a right way.

Wow.....again I say Wow. Everything was going so well for the VB girls. Anyone know was this immediately after they got home from the weekend games? Did they fly in from Penn State or did they travel by bus. Did she just leave the airport? Is the suspended driving from all the speeding tickets listed in the Journal? It has to be very uncomfortable at the Coliseum today.

Yes, she did turn herself in, and she initiated contact with the police. Unfortunately she still left the scene of the accident.

As is normal in a case like this I suspect the charges will be pled down to something less than a felony. I think her prior tickets won't weigh in her favor, but without other criminal wrongs I don't think she's going to have to take the full rap.