Lauren Cook Arrested

Lauren is in school, went to weights this AM, and she's OK. Cook hasn't talked to her today.

He's talking about how this can be a lesson for a kid who is one minute on top of the world, being the #1 team in the nation, and suddenly you lose a game and something like this happens, and it's shocking.

And that wraps up the presser. Nothing about the case, and I wouldn't have expected it.

As is normal in a case like this I suspect the charges will be pled down to something less than a felony.

It's not a felony to begin with unless there is a death.

I don't know...this seems to happen way too often where people hit motorcycles / bicycles / pedestrians and think they can get away with one. Hard to understand how a driver can clearly hurt someone and just drive off, even if they are incapable of thinking clearly in the moments after an accident.

It is a felony to leave the scene of an injury accident. She has already been charged and will be arraigned today.

It sounds like she just had an "OH SH1T!" moment, and she drove off. She stopped because her tire was shredded, and presumably at that point calmed down and called the police.

About a month ago I rear-ended a guy. The light was red, we were both turning right, he went through the intersection and I looked left to see if there were any oncoming cars or pedestrians. There weren't, so I went, and BAM! I nailed the guy, because as he was 3/4 of the way through the intersection, the "No Right on Red" sign came on (he said), and even though there were no pedestrians or oncoming cars, he stopped, nearly all the way into the cross street. Whatever, it was my fault. We got out, checked damage, and since there was none, we shook over it and went our separate ways.

But my adrenaline was still sky-high, and I could have chewed concrete I was so mad. I'm sure he was jacked up, too. You don't get in an accident every day, and you never know how you're going to react until it happens. I really, really wish she would have reacted differently. But it is what it is.

This whole thing makes me ill. I feel terrible for the guy involved - he probably had some minor thing wrong with his bike so he pulls over to check it out, on a ride on a nice day, everything's cool, and BAM! he's got a broken leg, AND the driver takes off. You have to feel terrible for him, and you have to hope he heals up clean and quick. The other rider, the one with scrapes and bruises, you hope is OK right away. I shudder to think what happened to their bikes. Insurance is great, but those bikes have to be mooshed. That's heartbreaking.

After that, you have to feel horrible for Lauren. Yeah, she caused all this, and yeah she really made a bonehead move, but she is not a bad kid - she's a kid. And I feel absolutely wretched for her.

Feel terrible for Coach Cook, because not only is this his star setter, it's his own daughter. And now her worst moment is out there, public knowledge.

Feel bad for the team, too. Uncertain about what's going on, feeling bad for their teammate, blah. Everything's messed up for them because of one moment's distraction.

• Fire 1

Not to hate on Lauren but I just don't see how you can drive off. Yeah, I've never been in that situation. But I obviously know leaving the scene is illegal. And I'm pretty sure that if I just hit another human being with my car and injured them, I'm going to stop and call for police or an ambulance. And she clearly has issues with driving in the past as referenced with her 6 speeding tickets, driving with a suspended license, etc. She seems to have her fair share of judgement problems. And dad better come to his senses and suspend her for the rest of the season too. Just an unfortunate situation.

Not to hate on Lauren but I just don't see how you can drive off. Yeah, I've never been in that situation. But I obviously know leaving the scene is illegal. And I'm pretty sure that if I just hit another human being with my car and injured them, I'm going to stop and call for police or an ambulance.

I think it's easy to say that, and I hope I would, too, but have you ever been in a situation like that? Everyone reacts differently, and for every person we had post "I had an accident and I stopped," we'll have another who could say the opposite.

It does not excuse what she did. But it's not wholly out of the realm of possibilities that you would freak out and react wrong. Like I posted above, I was about instantly high on adrenaline when I bumped that guy a month ago. I cannot imagine how crazy/high/freaked out Lauren must have been.

I am trying to remember the last time a VB girl got into trouble. If I recall would that have been a few years ago wehn Mueller got a MIP? And I think Banwarth was also involvedin a drinking issue. Help me recall but I think they got a one game suspension...or maybe two? Rarely do we hear of any problems with VB players. This topic obviously is one that is getting talked about because she is a star pklayer AND the coaches daughter.

I agree with the earlier post...she has issues when it comes to driving. Who has that many speeding tickets? She definitely has a heavy foot. I predict we will see her on the bench in street clothes this weekend. But after that I bet she is back playing on the court until this issued is taken care of in the court system.

You don't get in an accident every day, and you never know how you're going to react until it happens. I really, really wish she would have reacted differently. But it is what it is.

This. Thanks Knapplc--people don't realize how out of the ordinary this situation is.

Fortunately, I graduated when Driver's Ed classes was still a requirement during high school--one of the things they teach you is what to do, say, and how to act during an accident, such as:

-Pulling out of the way of traffic

-Checking on the other driver

-Swapping insurance information

-Never saying 'sorry', 'I apologize', or 'fault' in your discussion with the other driver

-Documenting the damage as you see it on that day and recognizing an estimated dollar amount (some states, like Texas, won't bother with police reports unless there's an injury or property/car damage is over $1000 now--and sometimes you still have to politely press the issue if the officer either doesn't care or is estimating the damage incorrectly)

-CPR

Lots of things here, and considering most kids don't get this type of class anymore (in Texas, no Driver's Ed is required any longer), I could see a kid panicking and not thinking clearly. If she did indeed pull over, calm down, and call 911, then there's no sense in throwing the book at her.

And personally, even *with* the class, I've unfortunately used this information more times than I like--fortunately, I was only at fault once, but in Texas, a new car is like an accident magnet. Bad karma, I suppose.

As for Lauren, she's a kid. Fortunately, the cyclist wasn't hurt, but that doesn't excuse her from what she's done. But she can do more good for herself and the community on the court, which is why suspending her for the rest of the year wouldn't benefit anyone.

I could easily see her suspended for the remainder of Big 10 play, sans tourney. Anything beyond that...probably not. But that's just my $.02.

Fortunately, the cyclist wasn't hurt, but that doesn't excuse her from what she's done.

A broken leg isn't hurt? The road rash the other rider had was probably pretty nasty too.

I don't want to condemn someone I don't know, but there are a couple troubling things here. One, would she have called if her vehicle had not been disabled? Two, it was her parents vehicle, so you have wonder if they knew she was driving. It's no fair to write it off as kids will be kids when everyone is at the same risk on the road.

Anyway I agree with what you were saying about drivers ed basically being a joke in the US and getting worse. We treat driving as a right when it is a privilege, one that frankly many shouldn't ever have after proving they are incapable of operating a vehicle safely. But, most of us are bound to lifestyles where transportation is vital, so it just keeps getting worse out there with bad and distracted drivers.

Not to hate on Lauren but I just don't see how you can drive off. Yeah, I've never been in that situation. But I obviously know leaving the scene is illegal. And I'm pretty sure that if I just hit another human being with my car and injured them, I'm going to stop and call for police or an ambulance.

I think it's easy to say that, and I hope I would, too, but have you ever been in a situation like that? Everyone reacts differently, and for every person we had post "I had an accident and I stopped," we'll have another who could say the opposite.

It does not excuse what she did. But it's not wholly out of the realm of possibilities that you would freak out and react wrong. Like I posted above, I was about instantly high on adrenaline when I bumped that guy a month ago. I cannot imagine how crazy/high/freaked out Lauren must have been.

There seems to be conflicting reports on how far down the road she was. One paper said 1 1/2 miles away while one other report has her approx 1/2 mile or less. If you're driving fast and hit someone it might take you 1/2 mile to stop and find a pull over area out of traffic.. If its the longer distance that's probably not a reasonable distance. Either way..I feel bad for the people who got hit.

Mueller

/hijack

mmmm.....

/end hijack

+1 yum yum

Anyways, Tara and kayla Banworth were tagged for Minors in Consumption or Possession at the same party down in the Bottoms, they both sat one game,

As for Lauren, this has to a long suspension IMO. Yes, she probably freaked, but she hit TWO people. She wouldn't even had been suspended had she did the Stop Class, or what ever they call the "better driving" program these days. 14th and Alvo Road, I believe are outside or very close to outside the northern city limits. If the tire doesn't blowout, I really wonder would she have called the authorities. Thinking maybe mom/dad got the call first, and then was told to call. Who knows and I am speculating here, but this just seems pretty bad.,