Lauren Cook Arrested

And this kind of information coming out is EXACTLY why you suspend her for the rest of the year. Legal wrangling can be explained away with technicalities, and we probably all agree that our courts don't really need to be bogged down with felony prosecutions of the 65-year-old and/or with Lauren Cook, but the fact is that only having her sit out two games in no way mitigates the very real questions people have with the way this was handled.

With just a two-game suspension, even if it's not the case, it seems like we've become a "win at all costs" program. And that is NOT the image we want.

The guy who was hit agreed with allowing her into pretrial diversion, though.

Interesting, but it shouldn't have really changed how criminal charges proceeded.

I don't think Lauren is a terrible person, but when you put all this together it stinks on multiple levels, One, what was obviously preferential consideration for diversion. Two, the fact that the vehicle was her parent's, one of whom is the coach responsible for team punishment. Three, that we always blab about Nebraska being "better" than this sort of stuff. So, if the B10 trophy is ours come two Saturdays from now and everyone is all smiles and cheers, we'll all know that's a load of BS. Personally, I find hypocrisy to be among the worst traits in a person.

(OWH) Cook in rare company with program

http://www.omaha.com...EWS97/711169904

...A review of several thousand Lancaster County pretrial diversion cases since 2009 showed that Cook was the only one accepted into the program on the felony charge of leaving the scene of an injury accident. During the nearly three-year period, however,the 20-year-old starting setter for the highly ranked Huskers also was the only defendant charged with the offense to apply for diversion...

If you read on there was another case of an 65 year old woman with a perfect driving record who left the scene of a property damage accident (light damage from a parking lot collision she didn't notice), and her lawyer was told that traffic violations were not eligible for diversion. So, comparing these two cases. Cook, with half a dozen speeding ticket and driving with a license that was probably technically suspended, causes fairly serious bodily harm in an injury accident and gets off with diversion, while in the other case, a woman with a perfect driving record is charged with a felony for backing into a car in a parking lot.

I don't see how you could take all this in and not conclude there was preferential treatment. I hope the guy who was hit at least gets what he deserves from the insurance settlement. What a joke.

I agree with you

If you all do not think it was preferential treatment, your in denial. If you take some other person and put them in the same situation with the same lawyer they would not have been just allowed into diversion. The biggest issue here is that her license was suspended at the time before she committed the felony. If any of you did not know if you are pulled over or caught driving on suspension you are immediately arrested at the scene and taken in for it, and not released until you appeared in front of a judge. Driving on suspension is a serious crime. The thing here is she should not be allowed to have a license due point loss for two years from the date of accident. Plus dude she hit got paid, got paid a lot of money to shut his mouth because he could take this to civil court for damages and probably win a lot of money. So that check that Mr. Cook sent in the mail, I am sure it was more then 5 bucks.

If you all do not think it was preferential treatment, your in denial. If you take some other person and put them in the same situation with the same lawyer they would not have been just allowed into diversion. The biggest issue here is that her license was suspended at the time before she committed the felony. If any of you did not know if you are pulled over or caught driving on suspension you are immediately arrested at the scene and taken in for it, and not released until you appeared in front of a judge. Driving on suspension is a serious crime. The thing here is she should not be allowed to have a license due point loss for two years from the date of accident. Plus dude she hit got paid, got paid a lot of money to shut his mouth because he could take this to civil court for damages and probably win a lot of money. So that check that Mr. Cook sent in the mail, I am sure it was more then 5 bucks.

Not even getting into the nonsense of the motorcyclist getting paid off, but the bold is incorrect. Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor, and is often tossed when a felony is involved. Not preferential treatment, just common lawyer stuff.

Not even getting into the nonsense of the motorcyclist getting paid off, but the bold is incorrect. Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor, and is often tossed when a felony is involved. Not preferential treatment, just common lawyer stuff.

So you saying her license wasnt suspended????? I believe it was. That is why everybody is making a big deal about this.

A DUS is a class 2 (sometimes class 3) misdemeanor which involves jail time if convicted. Which she is already guilty of by hitting someone(just like the 65 year old lady).

The fact is she got special treatment of who she is. She made a mistake, but she is an adult and should have to face the consequences for her actions(just like you and me). Putting her into a pre trial diversion and suspending her for 2 games isnt teaching her anything.

Her dad shouldve atleast done the right thing and suspended Lauren for the rest of the year. Im sorry my preciption of John Cook just went down a few notches.

So you saying her license wasnt suspended????? I believe it was. That is why everybody is making a big deal about this.

A DUS is a class 2 (sometimes class 3) misdemeanor which involves jail time if convicted. Which she is already guilty of by hitting someone(just like the 65 year old lady).

The fact is she got special treatment of who she is. She made a mistake, but she is an adult and should have to face the consequences for her actions(just like you and me). Putting her into a pre trial diversion and suspending her for 2 games isnt teaching her anything.

Her dad shouldve atleast done the right thing and suspended for the rest of the year. Im sorry my preciption of John Cook just went down a few notches.

Scott, read what I wrote. I said it was a misdemeanor, but I also said that her suspension likely got tossed, which often happens when a felony is involved.

I am less upset about the pretrial diversion than I am about the two-game suspension. I'll say this until I'm blue in the face - Lauren Cook isn't the person society needs to be protected from.

I bolded the part of your post I most definitely agree with. We do things the right way at Nebraska. This was a big deal. It should have had big consequences.

Her dad shouldve atleast done the right thing and suspended for the rest of the year. Im sorry my preciption of John Cook just went down a few notches.

Scott, read what I wrote. I said it was a misdemeanor, but I also said that her suspension likely got tossed, which often happens when a felony is involved.

I am less upset about the pretrial diversion than I am about the two-game suspension. I'll say this until I'm blue in the face - Lauren Cook isn't the person society needs to be protected from.

I bolded the part of your post I most definitely agree with. We do things the right way at Nebraska. This was a big deal. It should have had big consequences.

Im trusting that you know more about this than the public knows. Im not gonna go digging into public records find information to back up your claims. I will ask this if some of that information about handling the license thing legally before the incident is available to the public why hasnt it come out yet???? Maybe it has and I missed it.

And this kind of information coming out is EXACTLY why you suspend her for the rest of the year. Legal wrangling can be explained away with technicalities, and we probably all agree that our courts don't really need to be bogged down with felony prosecutions of the 65-year-old and/or with Lauren Cook, but the fact is that only having her sit out two games in no way mitigates the very real questions people have with the way this was handled.

With just a two-game suspension, even if it's not the case, it seems like we've become a "win at all costs" program. And that is NOT the image we want.

I believe you should only punnish somone based on intent.

Otherwise it just looks like you're after vengeance..or worse..protecting your program's image.

Even if she killed someone, do you think the absence of Volleyball in her life would be the thing that would keep her from killing again? I doubt any amount of punnishment would compare to the guilt she already feels for hurting someone.

Want to hear an ironic twist only barely semi-related to this story?

We went to Lazlo's last night. Dropped off the girls, then I circled around to find a parking spot. On my second run past Lazlo's, I'm turning right from P street onto 7th.

And I nearly ran over Lauren Cook and Haley Thramer as they were taking an angle crossing the street.

How ironic would it have been if I had run them down? I'd have been run right out of this state, that's for sure.

This is the second time I've nearly killed Huskers. My first near-miss was on 10th street, when it used to go past the stadium, and I was zipping along and suddenly Calvin Jones steps out between two cars, and I had to stand on the brakes to avoid killing him. Calvin never flinched.

And the weird thing is, I was zipping down 10th street because I was late to a volleyball match. There's always a volleyball connection. Weird.