Concerns about the offense

It seems to me, and perhaps others might have noticed this, that Beck sticks with traditional or basic formations early in games, and switches to the more interesting formations late in the game. His playcalling also gets more creative the later we get into games. The Minnesota game was one of the few exceptions, I thought.

I wish he would keep defenses off balance earlier and more often.

And who knows, maybe that's part of Beck's learning. It's been a learning process, as I'm sure you are aware of, not only for the players but for the coaches as well.

Mean "nothing"...... :facepalm:

So you think they mean something?

Ask Dan Marino if he'd trade some of his stats for a ring.

Ask Dan Marino is his stats mean absolutely nothing? Of course they mean SOMETHING, they made him a hall of fame QB. Of course he would trade some to win a Super Bowl, but that's not saying the stats don't mean SOMETHING. Just because Dan Marino didn't win a Super Bowl doesn't mean he wasn't a damn good QB....which can be proven because of stats.

• Fire 1

Ask Dan Marino is his stats mean absolutely nothing? Of course they mean SOMETHING, they made him a hall of fame QB. Of course he would trade some to win a Super Bowl, but that's not saying the stats don't mean SOMETHING. Just because Dan Marino didn't win a Super Bowl doesn't mean he wasn't a damn good QB....which can be proven because of stats.

I don't believe in participation ribbons.

NU lost. T-Mart played a fine game according to the stats (and even in the tape I have rewatched). But NU still lost.

The only stat that matters (to me) is wins and losses.

The points I am trying to lead people to are:

1. The reason NU needs to RUSH the ball effectively and continually is not just for points, it is to protect a WEAK Defense.

2. Teams will continue to try and make NU throw the ball. By definition, that means that T-Mart will likely have "stats", but opponents are only too happy to put the game on T-Mart's shoulder.

3. As Burkhead goes, so goes the offense (as currently designed). I think this premise is sound, EXCEPT that NU MUST rotate in the Triplets. Why they refuse to do so (and substitutions across the board have been baffling) is beyond me.

4. Reviewing the passing game on TV game tape is hard. You can't see the entire field. The reason I mention this is because opponents will dare NU to throw and, sometimes, on what tape I have seen and in the game I saw in person, T-Mart makes a completion, but he leaves yards or points on the field because another receiver was open with more room to run (or score). Now, T-Mart, or any QB will never be perfect in that regard, but opponents have demonstrated they are willing to let T-Mart beat them with his arm (and will continue to do so).

This post violates my length restrictions.

NU lost. T-Mart played a fine game according to the stats (and even in the tape I have rewatched). But NU still lost.

1. The reason NU needs to RUSH the ball effectively and continually is not just for points, it is to protect a WEAK Defense.

2. Teams will continue to try and make NU throw the ball. By definition, that means that T-Mart will likely have "stats", but opponents are only too happy to put the game on T-Mart's shoulder.

3. As Burkhead goes, so goes the offense (as currently designed). I think this premise is sound, EXCEPT that NU MUST rotate in the Triplets. Why they refuse to do so (and substitutions across the board have been baffling) is beyond me.

4. Reviewing the passing game on TV game tape is hard. You can't see the entire field. The reason I mention this is because opponents will dare NU to throw and, sometimes, on what tape I have seen and in the game I saw in person, T-Mart makes a completion, but he leaves yards or points on the field because another receiver was open with more room to run (or score). Now, T-Mart, or any QB will never be perfect in that regard, but opponents have demonstrated they are willing to let T-Mart beat them with his arm (and will continue to do so).

You're right...QB's that lose suck. Matter of fact, all QB's suck because they all lose. Even worse, every QB that hasn't won a National Championship or Super Bowl suck. Peyton Manning sucked for a long time, and sucked in college too...no National Championships. But he finally won a Super Bowl so he no longer sucks.

It's not participation ribbon, it's admitting that one player can have a good game, but the team can still lose.

• Fire 1

You're right...QB's that lose suck. Matter of fact, all QB's suck because they all lose. Even worse, every QB that hasn't won a National Championship or Super Bowl suck. Peyton Manning sucked for a long time, and sucked in college too...no National Championships. But he finally won a Super Bowl so he no longer sucks.

It's not participation ribbon, it's admitting that one player can have a good game, but the team can still lose.

Where exactly did I say T-Mart, as you say "sucks"?

Further, I said that T-Mart played well. And yes, the team still lost.

In a team sport, the only stat that matters is wins and losses. Anything else is called "fantasy football."

Mr. Suh had one of the most dominating defensive performances of all time against Texas a couple years ago. Go ask him about it and I bet you he will say "Who cares, we lost." Individual stats can reflect who likely will win or lose a game, but beyond that, they are only information and history. The game is about "winning" (I hope C. Sheen doesn't have that copyrighted).

Look, Opponents will continue to happily bet on T-Mart beating them through the air. I hope he proves them wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that opponents will take that bet.

Where exactly did I say T-Mart, as you say "sucks"?

Further, I said that T-Mart played well. And yes, the team still lost.

In a team sport, the only stat that matters is wins and losses. Anything else is called "fantasy football."

Mr. Suh had one of the most dominating defensive performances of all time against Texas a couple years ago. Go ask him about it and I bet you he will say "Who cares, we lost." Individual stats can reflect who likely will win or lose a game, but beyond that, they are only information and history. The game is about "winning" (I hope C. Sheen doesn't have that copyrighted).

Look, Opponents will continue to happily bet on T-Mart beating them through the air. I hope he proves them wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that opponents will take that bet.

I get your point...in the grand scheme of things and to players, winning is all that matters . But as a fan it sure is nice to see specific players make improvements and play better, even in the midst of a loss. That's my point.

• Fire 1

I get your point...in the grand scheme of things and to players, winning is all that matters . But as a fan it sure is nice to see specific players make improvements and play better, even in the midst of a loss. That's my point.

Blast. Here I was hoping our silly argument would continue. :-)

Understood. And I don't disagree with you.

Now, back to wondering how the hay Bo is going to stop D. Robinson in two weeks.

Blast. Here I was hoping our silly argument would continue. :-)

Understood. And I don't disagree with you.

Now, back to wondering how the hay Bo is going to stop D. Robinson in two weeks.

I try not to think about it, it scares me.

"participation ribbons" ...haha. Are you seven years old? Simply great thinking, genius.

Ted Williams sucked because his team never won the world series, E. Crouch, Bo Jackson, M. Vick & T. Gill, M. Rozier, D. Marino, D. Suh, etc, etc., sucked because their team never won a national title, oh Gawd....I could go on forever.

If you're talking bowling, wrestling, tennis, horse shoes, etc then yes "one" person is responsible for winning or losing. Cfb is a "team" sport. There has never, I repeat "never" been anybody good enough to win every game unless they were on a great team.

Oh, what's the use.....

GBR!!

This is so completely contradictory^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How else can passing success be measured, other than stats? You tried to explain it away by claiming that Taylor hits the wrong receivers, but seriously...come on!!

He threw for 75% on Saturday. That's right, 75%! That's outstanding, by anyone's measure of success in CFB.

How else can passing success be measured, other than stats? You tried to explain it away by claiming that Taylor hits the wrong receivers, but seriously...come on!!

He threw for 75% on Saturday. That's right, 75%! That's outstanding, by anyone's measure of success in CFB.

Opponents are going to dare NU to pass. As such, T-Mart may continue to have "stats". But teams will take that chance because they think T-Mart won't be able to beat them with his arm.

As Bo professes, yards between the 20s are meaningless. Points are what count.

I hope T-Mart progresses and makes opponents pay. But I also know that he is still pretty raw as a passer. And inside the 20 is really where touch and accuracy come into play (and I think it is fair to say that those are two areas in which T-Mart is still pretty raw).

This is NO different than under TO, I am not sure why this is shocking.

"participation ribbons" ...haha. Are you seven years old? Simply great thinking, genius.

Ted Williams sucked because his team never won the world series, E. Crouch, Bo Jackson, M. Vick & T. Gill, M. Rozier, D. Marino, D. Suh, etc, etc., sucked because their team never won a national title, oh Gawd....I could go on forever.

If you're talking bowling, wrestling, tennis, horse shoes, etc then yes "one" person is responsible for winning or losing. Cfb is a "team" sport. There has never, I repeat "never" been anybody good enough to win every game unless they were on a great team.

Oh, what's the use.....

GBR!!

I honestly have no idea if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing. But here is a ribbon for you. [insert Ribbon Image here]

Opponents are going to dare NU to pass. As such, T-Mart may continue to have "stats". But teams will take that chance because they think T-Mart won't be able to beat them with his arm.

As Bo professes, yards between the 20s are meaningless. Points are what count.

I hope T-Mart progresses and makes opponents pay. But I also know that he is still pretty raw as a passer. And inside the 20 is really where touch and accuracy come into play (and I think it is fair to say that those are two areas in which T-Mart is still pretty raw).

This is NO different than under TO, I am not sure why this is shocking.

Statistics are "meaningless", yards between the 20s are "meaningless". Any player in cfb can only play a good game if the "team" wins.

Wow.