Concerns about the offense

I think Beck and Bo have realized that riding Burkhead has a better risk/reward ratio. Using T-Mart as a "game manager" seems to work (and I am surprised as anyone that I used "game manager" and T-Mart in the same sentence).

Further, T-Mart's explosive running ability has, in many ways, either evaporated or been contained by opposing defenses.

And for all the support by the coaching staff for T-Mart's throwing motion, don't for a second think that the QB position won't be an open audition during T-Mart's career should someone like Carnes or a new recruit show better passing skills and acceptable rushing ability.

I have been pleasantly surprised with T-Mart as game manager since WI. However, his continued inaccuracy and inability to hit receivers in stride will haunt him until it is corrected. You can't leave points on the field against SEC defenses. And you can't make a poor throw that should be a TD and instead is a nice reception down to the 3. Solid D's will hold you to a FG. And 3's don't win championships in football.

• Fire 1

Okay, maybe I'm nit picking here but I do have concerns:

Against WI, UW and the cup cakes we mixed in the pass a lot more and had the WR's nicely integrated with the play calling but against MSU the pass was almost a rarity. Now I get that the offense takes what the defense gives but I also see a trend where we are going back to a lot more option, wing-t, pistol, etc. Basically a lot of run formations. Don't get me wrong, I like that but what happens against the good/great defenses? We can't make a living having TMart on the edge pitching the ball and being so lose with it...... or making the wrong read on a ZR option. We have to be able to throw the ball to keep better defenses off balance.

The irony in this whole thing is that we might not see that great defense all year unless we run the table and play someone like Bama/LSU in the Rose Bowl (or whatever BCS bowl we end up in). Even drawing a team like OU or Stanford won't be easy going against being run heavy. In the B1GC, going up against UW or OSU won't be easy just running a majority of the time..... Don't get me wrong - my sig says "Run the ball...." but I'm concerned that bec. we don't pass it as much lately, TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better.

So..... what gives? Do we continue with this run heavy offense or try to be more balanced? More importantly, what's the point in having big time play makers like Turner, Bell, Reed and Enunwa if they hardly touch the ball?

well

:moreinteresting

Every defense is culpable to a hiccup here and there. We had one of the best defenses in school in history 2009, but that didn't stop us from surrendering 30+ points to Texas Tech. I know our offense had a backwards throw that resulted in a touchdown but still...not a good performance that day.

Nebraska has played two very stout defenses - MSU and tOSU, so this somewhat diminishes what you're trying to say. We have another good one in two weeks with PSU. I wouldn't worry so much about throwing the ball as I would making sure we're distributing it effectively. I'm more worried about Rex having less carries than I am about us throwing the ball. Martinez had a better passing game in the second half against MSU, yet nothing went well for him in the first half.

We must not forget - this is year one under a new system with a new staff, although I might argue this offense has looked more consistent than any offense we've had in the last several years. It's not like we're at the position yet where we can play championship caliber offense. That's going to take some time, just as it took time to get our defense back. Now that we have the coaches in place and our kids our getting it, things will eventually fall into place. But this team is a running team - through and through. They're going to keep running it at least 75% of the time. I'd actually rather see us use the diamond, our twist on the flex bone with a slot receiver, etc., than I would us throwing more.

Agree - but you are making a HUGE assumption (I think) that we are going to be in close games or low scoring games where we can rely on running..... Are you sure about that with this d? I know I'm not. Until we see this def. stop a team that can run and get off the field on 3rd down, I'm not buying in.

To that end, I feel that we're going to be in a shoot out in the B1GC and BCS - and in order to win those games you'll have to convert a few 3rd and 8's or 3rd and 15's....

Didn't we mount the biggest comeback in the whole entire history of the football program against a pretty good defense with this offense?

AH, just pretend that TM is really Matt Turmon. We need to keep our offense very vanilla for the remainder of the year. Let's just keep running. No need to pass. Bad things happen when we pass a lot. 10-12 passes a game should get it done in just about every game left in the regular season. Sad but true. With our defense finally checking in, if we can put 24 on the board each game we'll win them all. Don't forget, Bama only scored 27 against PSU.

Against WI, UW and the cup cakes we mixed in the pass a lot more and had the WR's nicely integrated with the play calling but against MSU the pass was almost a rarity. Now I get that the offense takes what the defense gives but I also see a trend where we are going back to a lot more option, wing-t, pistol, etc. Basically a lot of run formations. Don't get me wrong, I like that but what happens against the good/great defenses? We can't make a living having TMart on the edge pitching the ball and being so lose with it...... or making the wrong read on a ZR option. We have to be able to throw the ball to keep better defenses off balance.

The irony in this whole thing is that we might not see that great defense all year unless we run the table and play someone like Bama/LSU in the Rose Bowl (or whatever BCS bowl we end up in). Even drawing a team like OU or Stanford won't be easy going against being run heavy. In the B1GC, going up against UW or OSU won't be easy just running a majority of the time..... Don't get me wrong - my sig says "Run the ball...." but I'm concerned that bec. we don't pass it as much lately, TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better.

So..... what gives? Do we continue with this run heavy offense or try to be more balanced? More importantly, what's the point in having big time play makers like Turner, Bell, Reed and Enunwa if they hardly touch the ball?

To me, I think we ran the ball so much because our defense was playing so well..........against Udub and Wisc our defense did not play so well and it was apparent that we would need to score more points to win......ergo we passed more. I mean we'd have all been beotchin up a storm had TM served up a few more picks and we lost the game because we got away from the run ala Wisconsin game.

I think we will continue to do what the GAME dictates we do to win it. If the D is playing lights out like last week and we are having some success with the run lets run it. If not then we can chuck it down the field. The point of having palymakers everywhere is to make the defense respect that part of your game, doesnt mean you HAVE to use them if something else is working

I don't see it happening, but I would hate to play Ohio State again.

Yeah that.

NU figured some things out against OSU true. But, if B. Miller doesn't get hurt there is no comeback. And if B. Herron was playing . . . .

Much like PSU and Mich, NU is a 1 loss team with several flaws. Perhaps they continue to be protected or improved. I hope so.

Wait, you think we would struggle against Stanford's D? That D is so incredibly slow... Anyway, we've put up points and yards on every D. The defense hasn't gotten many stops. Like it or not, tOSU probably has one of the best defenses in the B1G, just an inept offense.

I'll concede..... don't really know a whole lot about Stanford's D. They're probably slow, but if we played them, I think Luck would light us up.

TM would then have to go score for score. No way in hell we do that riding the RexTrain. TM would have to complete a few passes on critical 3rd downs. That's what I'm talking about - and hence the premise of the OP

TM would then have to go score for score. No way in hell we do that riding the RexTrain. TM would have to complete a few passes on critical 3rd downs. That's what I'm talking about - and hence the premise of the OP

Well, Bo has baffled many a traditional drop back QB.

But regardless, any game in which NU needs to go score for score with T-Mart needing to convert 3rd and longs is a roller coaster.

I need to watch more tape to see why he isn't a running threat anymore. I suspect it has something to do with is inability to run laterally (ie elusively). But need to watch for that.

Wait, you think we would struggle against Stanford's D? That D is so incredibly slow... Anyway, we've put up points and yards on every D. The defense hasn't gotten many stops. Like it or not, tOSU probably has one of the best defenses in the B1G, just an inept offense.

I'll concede..... don't really know a whole lot about Stanford's D. They're probably slow, but if we played them, I think Luck would light us up.

You're assuming Taylor doesn't have the capability of converting a long 3rd down by passing. I like the way our offense is. Martinez is doing very well as a game manager and let's be honest, he hasn't been helped much by his WRs in the past couple of games. We have shown that we have the ability on offense to ware down extremely good defenses [Michigan State and Ohio State], even when the offense isn't as successful. I think we can go up against just about any defense in the country and hang at least 21 on them.

My concerns still lie on the defensive side of the football, but those look few and far between since Michigan State. All I'm looking for is consistency now.

Well, Bo has baffled many a traditional drop back QB.

But regardless, any game in which NU needs to go score for score with T-Mart needing to convert 3rd and longs is a roller coaster.

I need to watch more tape to see why he isn't a running threat anymore. I suspect it has something to do with is inability to run laterally (ie elusively). But need to watch for that.

He's still a running threat. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he's not.

Um dude, Rose Bowl equals Big Ten Champ vs Pac 12 Champ. Unless you get to the rule from last year that the rose bowl has to select a mid major eligible to qualify once every 4 or whatever years it is.

If we win the big ten, we will play the pac 12 champ, Oregon/Stanford vs ASU winner. Probably not OU or any at large, cuz the at large spots will go to Sugar, Orange, or Fiesta bowls, which ever order they choose. The Big East winner also is picked as an "at large" although they have the automatic bid.

Also, I understand that we can't rely on the whole running the ball 100% of the time, but really, don't you think it is kind of a game to game basis? Look we didn't pass much against MSU but really, who cares? we won 24-3. Next week the game plan may be different. Maybe not?

Also, sorry if this was posted, I didn't read through the thread, just replying to the OP