Concerns about the offense

I guess you all know now...... why I started this thread :hmmph

We have no confidence in our passing game and consequently when teams scheme to stop the run we look like we're "forced" into doing something we're uncomfortable at.

Screw that! Whatever happened to the "big play" offense that we showed early on in the year? Is Solich back at NU now with "Crouch right Crouch left"?

I guess you all know now...... why I started this thread :hmmph

We have no confidence in our passing game and consequently when teams scheme to stop the run we look like we're "forced" into doing something we're uncomfortable at.

Screw that! Whatever happened to the "big play" offense that we showed early on in the year? Is Solich back at NU now with "Crouch right Crouch left"?

th_smh.gif

• Fire 1

Okay, maybe I'm nit picking here but I do have concerns:

Against WI, UW and the cup cakes we mixed in the pass a lot more and had the WR's nicely integrated with the play calling but against MSU the pass was almost a rarity. Now I get that the offense takes what the defense gives but I also see a trend where we are going back to a lot more option, wing-t, pistol, etc. Basically a lot of run formations. Don't get me wrong, I like that but what happens against the good/great defenses? We can't make a living having TMart on the edge pitching the ball and being so lose with it...... or making the wrong read on a ZR option. We have to be able to throw the ball to keep better defenses off balance.

The irony in this whole thing is that we might not see that great defense all year unless we run the table and play someone like Bama/LSU in the Rose Bowl (or whatever BCS bowl we end up in). Even drawing a team like OU or Stanford won't be easy going against being run heavy. In the B1GC, going up against UW or OSU won't be easy just running a majority of the time..... Don't get me wrong - my sig says "Run the ball...." but I'm concerned that bec. we don't pass it as much lately, TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better.

So..... what gives? Do we continue with this run heavy offense or try to be more balanced? More importantly, what's the point in having big time play makers like Turner, Bell, Reed and Enunwa if they hardly touch the ball?

"we don't pass it as much lately, TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better."

Taylor Martinez went 28/39 for 287 yards, 2 TDs, and ZERO interceptions. Their were at least 5 passes dropped, also.

Taylor played a good game and we did not lose because of his performance. His accuracy and timing looked great, but you can't give the guy any credit for improving his game? He is obviously getting better, but you can't give the guy any credit.

Our defense was a disappointment and it was obvious that Rex Burkhead was playing hurt and tired. I blame Coach Brown the most for not seeing it was obvious that Rex was worn out and needed to rest.

AustinHuskr,

Bumping this thread made no sense. You go around pounding your chest saying Nebraska needs to this and Nebraska needs to do that.

I asked if you are going to come back and at least give Taylor Martinez props for playing a good game and you can't even do that?

You can't even acknowledge that Taylor played a good game.

And it's ironic that you chose to bump this thread, because Taylor Martinez stuffed it down your throat.

And it's ironic that you chose to bump this thread, because Taylor Martinez stuffed it down your throat.

NU lost. To a team they should have beat.

Individual stats mean nothing in a team game.

I am addressing the thread topic.

AustinHuskr also specifically bolded and underlined "TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better.'

Nebraska did not lose because of Taylor's "accuracy and timing" being off. Taylor played a good game and it's obvious he is getting better as a QB.

It's ironic that the running game and the defense did Nebraska in against NW though.

• Fire 1

I think we all remember these games a little differently.

Burkhead was shut down completely in the first half against OSU. When Martinez came out firing in the second half, the running game opened up.

I think you are not only remembering the game differently, but not really remembering it at all. Martinez started out the game 10 of 10, and we were still down 17-6 against Ohio State. If it was the passing that opened up the running game - how come we didn't have any rushing TDs when TM is 10-10 for almost 100 yards in the first half? It was his best 2 quarters of passing in his career.

Haha...that's a damn good question! It shoots about a thousand holes into the "must be balanced" argument.

• Fire 1

AustinHuskr also specifically bolded and underlined "TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better.'

Nebraska did not lose because of Taylor's "accuracy and timing" being off. Taylor played a good game and it's obvious he is getting better as a QB.

It's ironic that the running game and the defense did Nebraska in against NW though.

Yes, props to TM. I will admit that, but PLEASE lets not fall over ourselves. This was North FRIGGIN western we're talking about - not LSU or even Oregon. Just like we went all ga ga over ourselves after beating an average MSU.

Maybe this turned the page on TM's passing but if he's such a great passer then why were we jamming it with Rex for the better part of 3 qtrs. when we could just as easily have gone to Air-TM? Maybe Beck doesn't have the confidence in TM's arm. Maybe - just maybe when it was apparent that NU was going to actually lose, that Beck decided to go air-TM in the 3rd. What does that say about Beck's confidence in TM's arm?

Regardless, I'm not overly impressed with a Nebraska QB having good passing stats against a crap team like NW. Did anyone actually see NW's non-existent pass rush?

Yes, props to TM. I will admit that, but PLEASE lets not fall over ourselves. This was North FRIGGIN western we're talking about - not LSU or even Oregon. Just like we went all ga ga over ourselves after beating an average MSU.

Maybe this turned the page on TM's passing but if he's such a great passer then why were we jamming it with Rex for the better part of 3 qtrs. when we could just as easily have gone to Air-TM? Maybe Beck doesn't have the confidence in TM's arm. Maybe - just maybe when it was apparent that NU was going to actually lose, that Beck decided to go air-TM in the 3rd. What does that say about Beck's confidence in TM's arm?

Regardless, I'm not overly impressed with a Nebraska QB having good passing stats against a crap team like NW.

I'm not falling all over myself. Nebraska definitely needs to improve in many areas.

At least this one game Taylor Martinez can not be blamed for the loss and I thought it would be nice of you to acknowledge that.

For what it's worth here is what Rob Zatecha had to say about the offense:

Offense. Turnovers' date=' I know we got some too, but the balls NU lost proved fatal. Both occurred on strongly potential scoring drives. Had NU scored on those occasions, the momentum shift alone might have swung the outcome, crazy fourth quarter notwithstanding. In the end, one TD would have won the game. Other thoughts: same as earlier in the year. [u']I thought the real genius of Beck's game plan vs MSU was his patience.[/u] For two and a half quarters, he pounded away, 2-3 yards at a shot, until their defense utterly crumbled. I felt he got away from that.

Instead he seemed content to let a Northwestern offense that was moving the ball well continue to have shot after shot at NUs defense. NU's strength will continue to be the ground game, even when scouting reports say the opponent is susceptible to the pass. In other words, you can't hide from your own limitations. When slow and steady beats the best defense in the conference, why go away from it against a vastly inferior on?!?

http://www.huskerhawkeye.com/index.php/featured-blogs/doctors-diagnosis/entry/i-didnt-see-this-coming

• Fire 1

It seems to me, and perhaps others might have noticed this, that Beck sticks with traditional or basic formations early in games, and switches to the more interesting formations late in the game. His playcalling also gets more creative the later we get into games. The Minnesota game was one of the few exceptions, I thought.

I wish he would keep defenses off balance earlier and more often.