Mobile Qb's vs Pelini defense

I am not a football guru nor claim to be. What I have seen with our style of defense and especially yesterday when NW's 2nd Qb came in was his ability to scramble. In man to man coverage our defenders have their backs to the line of scrimmage for the most part. They don't see the Qb till he is 5 to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. This problem was evident even when Pelini was D coordinator in the 03 season. Do we need to make LaVonte D the spy that always seeks the Qb at the line of scrimmage? I didn't see many blitzs yesterday as I sat in the north end zone. I understand blitzing against a decent running Qb can burn us however.

I'm not blaming our coaches as they have forgotten more football knowledge than I know. Do we not execute man to man very well as a team? Our D line doesn't seem to pressure Qb's (the running variety) that much nor do our linebacking corp. I probably worry more about Michigan than I do Penn State.

I am not a football guru nor claim to be. What I have seen with our style of defense and especially yesterday when NW's 2nd Qb came in was his ability to scramble. In man to man coverage our defenders have their backs to the line of scrimmage for the most part. They don't see the Qb till he is 5 to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. This problem was evident even when Pelini was D coordinator in the 03 season. Do we need to make LaVonte D the spy that always seeks the Qb at the line of scrimmage? I didn't see many blitzs yesterday as I sat in the north end zone. I understand blitzing against a decent running Qb can burn us however.

I'm not blaming our coaches as they have forgotten more football knowledge than I know. Do we not execute man to man very well as a team? Our D line doesn't seem to pressure Qb's (the running variety) that much nor do our linebacking corp. I probably worry more about Michigan than I do Penn State.

A good moble QB hurts most defenses. Jordan Jefferson did some damage yesterday to an awesome Alabama defense

Yeah, mobile/running qb's, esp those operating out of the spread gives any defense fits. I dont remember Cam Newton having big games against one particular defense and I dont recall Vince Young showing up against one or two particular teams. Im not htting the panic button, I expected NW to score 21-28 points, but I didnt expect our off to get brick walled by a defense that is one of the worst in the nation.

By the time I got home from Lincoln the LSU/Alabama game was in the 4th qtr so I didn't get to see much of it. I saw Jefferson make the one good run to the right sideline. Tv games rarely show the whole field so it's hard to see how the defenses cover a good running qb most of the time. Also... finding a high school qb who can run a big time offense....make the necessary passes and hitting receivers on the run plus be able to gain long yardage and first downs running when needed are as hard to find as hens teeth. Otherwise every school would have one.

Can LaVonte David consistently make open field tackles if he was installed as the spy? What is our best chance to contain a qb like Michigans Robinson and keep him from killing our D?

Never forget that making one of our LBs a spy means taking him out of pass coverage. Who do you want covering an athletic TE or 5th wideout? Will Compton? Spying sounds like a f***ing brilliant idea if we're allowed to bring a 12th guy on the field to do it.

One of the LBs was nearly always sitting in the middle with eyes on Persa/Colter/Siemien or anyone coming out of the backfield. Problem is, Persa and Colter are both fast, and Persa made some smart runs in the first half. Coverage was usually solid so there were times he'd have to run or got sacked--and that got Persa knocked out of the game. Colter had 17 runs for 57 yards, not necessarily the problem in the game, albeit with some very timely runs. There was no single area of concern on either side of the ball, just a pretty flat performance all around.

David was mostly in coverage.

Didn't someone once ask Bo if he was going to use a spy and he responded with asking what a spy was or something like that? Obviously, he knows what a spy is but he's not a fan of using them.

And as it's been mentioned twice already, MOST defense struggles with a mobile quarterback. And as also mentioned earlier in the thread, LSU's Jordan Jefferson scrambled pretty well at times last night and Alabama's defense is one of the best in the country. It happens.