Burkhead

mwj98

It's been mentioned in a couple other threads already, but I think most people would agree that Burkhead didn't quite look himself. He's been the workhorse and it seemed to have caught up with him yesterday.

Looking at the final rushing stats has me scratching my head. Burkhead - 22 rushes for net 69 yards and one touchdown. Martinez - 12 rushes for net 53 yards and no touchdowns. After that? Ameer Abdullah - one carry for zero yards.

I know we were down most of the game, I know our defense wasn't playing good enough football for us to play the game we want to play and I know our offensive line wasn't performing that well, but this bothers me a little bit. I believe it's time to designate a clear number two back for the season or at least start seriously splitting carries with the other backs. Burkhead's a tough SOB but he needs some help soon.

It's been mentioned in a couple other threads already, but I think most people would agree that Burkhead didn't quite look himself. He's been the workhorse and it seemed to have caught up with him yesterday.

Looking at the final rushing stats has me scratching my head. Burkhead - 22 rushes for net 69 yards and one touchdown. Martinez - 12 rushes for net 53 yards and no touchdowns. After that? Ameer Abdullah - one carry for zero yards.

I know we were down most of the game, I know our defense wasn't playing good enough football for us to play the game we want to play and I know our offensive line wasn't performing that well, but this bothers me a little bit. I believe it's time to designate a clear number two back for the season or at least start seriously splitting carries with the other backs. Burkhead's a tough SOB but he needs some help soon.

You'd almost say at this point we should pull a RS off one of those touted freshman backs who are all riding the pine....

Oh...wait...what's that? They never redshirted?

Well...hmmm.

You'd almost say at this point we should pull a RS off one of those touted freshman backs who are all riding the pine....

Oh...wait...what's that? They never redshirted?

Well...hmmm.

I understand the precarious situation the coaches were put in early in the year with three great freshman running backs, but even the coaches must realize that this isn't going to be easy. You plain and simply can't split carries between three guys backing up Burkhead. It's too much for an offense that rarely if ever blows anyone out. At this rate the only way this situation is going to end is transfers or position changes, because all three of those guys have potential to be our starting running back.

We've burned the RS's off 3 FR RB's - to no avail. You don't put guys in for 1 or 2 carries every 2-3 games. THAT'S BONE HEADED! Bo should know better..... but I digress.

Cain Kolter is 3rd string. THIRD FRIGGIN STRING! And wait.......

He's a FRESHMAN! And looks light years ahead of TM.

Bo is clueless as a HC. Sure he can devise a good defense every now and then. Well, so can Paul Rhodes - and he as 1/2 the players NU does.

My thought was that since running Rex seemed ineffective and he seemed tetative, or banged up you really don't lose anything putting in our speedy freshmen backs. It gets fast fresh legs on the field and actually with the way the defense was playing it may have been more successful as Green or Abdullah are much faster to the edge than Burkhead.

We've burned the RS's off 3 FR RB's - to no avail. You don't put guys in for 1 or 2 carries every 2-3 games. THAT'S BONE HEADED! Bo should know better..... but I digress.

Bo is clueless as a HC. Sure he can devise a good defense every now and then. Well, so can Paul Rhodes - and he as 1/2 the players NU does.

Third string or not Kolter is a gamer. He plays at multiple positions because he is a pretty gifted athlete. Lets not diminish his ability because our team didn't play well.

I completely agree about the running back situation. This team doesn't blow anybody out, which means using 2-3 back is about all you're going to be able to use in a given game.

That said, I don't know really what you're getting at about the Kolter/TM comparison. Martinez played a heck of a game yesterday. I don't think he turned the ball over once, many of his incomplete passes were drops, and he ran the ball pretty well. Northwestern doesn't have a great defense, but still. I like Martinez and think he has a lot of room for growth. This was only one game. Kolter could lay an absolute goose egg in coming weeks and then your comparison wouldn't be as valid. That kind of stuff happens all the time - a player looks great one week and terrible the next. It happens.

I still Martinez is faster than any quarterback we've seen this year or will see except for Robinson.