Trivia: Tom Osborne vs. losing teams

JTrain

Osborne vs. losing teams  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Take your guess before you look up the answer!

In Tom Osborne's career as a head coach at Nebraska, how many teams did he lose to that finished the season with a losing record?

Answer:

One.

Nebraska lost 10-19 at Iowa State in 1992. The Cyclones finished the season 4-7.

In Osborne's 49 career losses, one came to a losing team, one to an even team (1986 Colorado) and 47 to winning teams.

I knew the answer - the best thing about TO was almost always having the team focused - not too high and not too lackadaisical

i haven't looked. I was at the game. Some young punk quarterback from Florida was at the helm. We had just benched an experienced Sr starter to put in the punk a few games earlier. He had a horrible game and we lost. His only great play was a pass to the full back under tremendous pressure and in the grasp and tossed to the fullback.

Luckily Frazier turned out okay in the long run. And losing to Iowa State in Ames to Jim Walden -using a walk on Sr starting quarterback in his FIRST ever start. The QB was named Sieler and was from the great State of Nebraska. The year was 1992.

I knew the answer - the best thing about TO was almost always having the team focused - not too high and not too lackadaisical

i haven't looked. I was at the game. Some young punk quarterback from Florida was at the helm. We had just benched an experienced Sr starter to put in the punk a few games earlier. He had a horrible game and we lost. His only great play was a pass to the full back under tremendous pressure and in the grasp and tossed to the fullback.

Luckily Frazier turned out okay in the long run. And losing to Iowa State in Ames to Jim Walden -using a walk on Sr starting quarterback in his FIRST ever start. The QB was named Sieler and was from the great State of Nebraska. The year was 1992.

Dont know that i'd call Mike Grant "experienced". Wasnt he a running back prior to 92? I dont ever recall him playing qb in previous years with Mikey Joseph and Keithen McCant runnin around, tho I could be wrong, I was only 8-9 years old at the time.

As far as comparing how many losses to losing teams between Osborne and Pelini is just a ridiculous comparison. It's comparing salaries of a guy from the 50's to now because so much has changed. College football has changed. Under Osborne, a team could "take a week off" against a far lesser opponent and still win by 2 or 3 scores because of sheer talent, now you have to show up and play or you'll lose, because you never know it that team on the other side my play the game of their lives. The talent is a lot more equal than it was back then.