D-Line Scheme?

I think Bo is a superb DC to say the least but I'd love to see him return to an attacking defense. Yeah, we'd probably give up more pts but we'd get wayyyyyy more early stops, 3 & outs and turnovers on opponent offenses. Just wishful dreaming.....

GBR!!

I don't understand what you're saying: If he's a "superb DC" then why doesn't he run a scheme that works?

And sorry - I don't buy the excuse that our talent is worse than Iowa State's.

It worked superbly in 2003, 2009 & 2010. Also, 2008 was a MASSIVE improvement from 2007.

This "one" year he's having problems.....so four out of five works for me.

GBR!!

For the millionth time - in all those years that you mention, he had GREAT players... and STILL managed to get beat by some ugly margins and in most cases by teams who had no business beating us:

2003: Wood shed beatings by KSU, tu and MU. Nuff said

2009: ISU, TTech. Nuff said

2010: tu, UWx2. Heck, even throw in #18 aTm who was ranked much lower than us.

I think you're letting youself get blinded by the this whole charade that Bo's some sort of defensive God. I've wondered many times if the people that keep saying this are simply too simple minded or just want to believe it bec. they cannot comprehend the what-if's. Take for instance the MU game in 2008. People like to gloss over it and give Bo a pass bec. it was his first season but to me - that game and how he designed his defense spoke volumes. He devised a scheme TOTALLY ill suited to the personnel and the result was one of the most embarrassing losses in recent memory. Fast forward to 2011 - same symptoms same results.

Iowa State only scored 9 against an offense which could only score 7. But that's obviously the Ds fault

We only lost to Washington once...and they scored 19 to our 7. But that's obviously the Ds fault too

We lost to a Texas team who could only score 20. But again, that's the defense's fault.

I fail to see a point in your argument.

I think Bo is a superb DC to say the least but I'd love to see him return to an attacking defense. Yeah, we'd probably give up more pts but we'd get wayyyyyy more early stops, 3 & outs and turnovers on opponent offenses. Just wishful dreaming.....

GBR!!

I don't understand what you're saying: If he's a "superb DC" then why doesn't he run a scheme that works?

It worked superbly in 2003, 2009 & 2010. Also, 2008 was a MASSIVE improvement from 2007.

GBR!!

For the millionth time - in all those years that you mention, he had GREAT players... and STILL managed to get beat by some ugly margins and in most cases by teams who had no business beating us:

I think you're letting youself get blinded by the this whole charade that Bo's some sort of defensive God. I've wondered many times if the people that keep saying this are simply too simple minded or just want to believe it bec. they cannot comprehend the what-if's. Take for instance the MU game in 2008. People like to gloss over it and give Bo a pass bec. it was his first season but to me - that game and how he designed his defense spoke volumes. He devised a scheme TOTALLY ill suited to the personnel and the result was one of the most embarrassing losses in recent memory. Fast forward to 2011 - same symptoms same results.

Iowa State only scored 9 against an offense which could only score 7. But that's obviously the Ds fault

We only lost to Washington once...and they scored 19 to our 7. But that's obviously the Ds fault too

We lost to a Texas team who could only score 20. But again, that's the defense's fault.

For the love of GOD, "UWx2" = "Washington the 2nd time around"! OBVIOUSLY we didn't lose twice to UW.

I like how you spin the tu and uwx2 losses! Great job. Not.

In both those games our defense got run over. Go back and watch the film. Nuff said.

In both those games our defense got run over. Go back and watch the film. Nuff said.

Held UT to 271 total yards (only 62 passing). That would be a top 5 defensive team this year if we we averaging around 270. 62 passing would obviously put us in 1st by a wide margin.

And you have no credibility using the 2nd 2010 Washington game to support your argument. We all knew how that one was going to end long before it was played.

Sorry I didn't know what you meant when you said Washington x 2 when you were talking about losses. My bad. :sarcasm

When it comes down to wins and losses, points are the only things that matter. You don't get 10 extra points per every 150 yards more of offense you have than the other team. In the ISU, UW (x2 [stupid terminology]), and UT games, we allowed 16 ppg [48 total]. 2 TDs and 2 FGs win those games for us. Is that too much to ask of an offense.

I'm in firm agreement with you on TTU and MU, but you're reaching when you say that the defense was solely responsible for us losing the ISU, Holiday Bowl against Washington, and Texas.

GBR!!

GBR!!

For the love of GOD, "UWx2" = "Washington the 2nd time around"! OBVIOUSLY we didn't lose twice to UW.

I like how you spin the tu and uwx2 losses! Great job. Not.

Just so you're aware, everyone on this board has always considered the second game against Washington as UW 2.0, so everyone thinks when when you say UWx2 when talking about losses, you are saying we lost to them twice. So don't get mad at us when you type that, when some have never seen it typed like that, and expect everyone to know what you mean. Now I'm not saying you have to stop writing like that, I'm just letting you know that not everyone is gonna know what you mean when it seems like you're the only one that types like that.

And you have no credibility using the 2nd 2010 Washington game to support your argument. We all knew how that one was going to end long before it was played.

I think that statement says it all about the complacency that permeates the program and fan base (that isn't a critique of your statement, sadly it is a reflection of what the BC years did)

Both PSU and IA run offenses that are good matchups for NU defensively. However, NW and Mich run offenses that NU has failed to stop this year.

The next 3 games should be interesting.

How could you not put a ton of stock into what he says? I don't understand, really. Everyone is wanting Big Red to get back to the mid 90's mentality, and J.Peters was as big a part of that run as anybody! But he's just a "blah, blah, blah", guy to you? The mid 90's teams weren't out to just win, they wanted to hurt people BAD, and they did. Thats what made them special. Thats what the game of football is about. Thats why we love them some much. It seems now that a lot of fans are OK with losing to inferior teams year after year. I'm not one of those fans. Sorry, but I will never be one of those fans.

I have to ask; do you really mean literally "hurt" people or was that figurative speech for something like "run up the score"?

How could you not put a ton of stock into what he says? I don't understand, really. Everyone is wanting Big Red to get back to the mid 90's mentality, and J.Peters was as big a part of that run as anybody! But he's just a "blah, blah, blah", guy to you? The mid 90's teams weren't out to just win, they wanted to hurt people BAD, and they did. Thats what made them special. Thats what the game of football is about. Thats why we love them some much. It seems now that a lot of fans are OK with losing to inferior teams year after year. I'm not one of those fans. Sorry, but I will never be one of those fans.

I have to ask; do you really mean literally "hurt" people or was that figurative speech for something like "run up the score"?

"hurt" people = bad intentions. A bad ass attitude. That's what football is about - not a game for alter boys. Alter boys go to Princeton. Or Northwestern.

Oops.

Not sure what makes Bo a "superb DC". Anybody could of coached the LSU D when they won the NC. If not for Suh, the Pelinis don't make it to 2 B12 title games period. Now, they are fresh out of BC recruits and the defense is pretty bad. Coinsidence? Not sure, but if he was a "superb DC", NW doesn't shred us like they did. He and his brother need to change something that gives what we have a chance. Whether you admit it or not, getting talent on campus is a big thing, and so far it doesn't look like we will see a BCS game for quite a while.

Uh, Bo is one of the best defensive minds in the game.

I guess you could say with the maulers we had, anybody could have coached the Huskers when we won three titles in the 90s.

Jason Peter being a player from the 90s era has nothing to do with how much he knows what he's talking about now.

Held UT to 271 total yards (only 62 passing). That would be a top 5 defensive team this year if we we averaging around 270. 62 passing would obviously put us in 1st by a wide margin.

No, we really didn't know how it was going to end! That is some serious hindsight there. IIRC there was some concern expressed about playing the same team twice, but by and large we thought we would walk over them. Just because we ended up losing doesn't mean that initial fringe concern some of us had suddenly becomes the obvious prior expectation of the entire fanbase.

Excusing that performance away as one where the team just didn't want to be there is one of the more baffling takes I have seen on it. Not saying that is what you are saying here, but. Players and coaches are competitors. Fans were disappointed by the bowl selection, but you don't think those guys in red are wired to want *badly* to win every time they are out on the field?

"hurt" people = bad intentions. A bad ass attitude. That's what football is about - not a game for alter boys. Alter boys go to Princeton. Or Northwestern.

Oops.

Well if you weren't obvious before. You certainly are now.