The Zone-Read Triple Option....thing

Landlord

Respectfully disagree, compadre'.

It stretches the imagination to it's very limits seeing a SW coached NU offense storm through opponents (Washington, Fresno St, Ohio St) defenses the 2nd half to victory. Possible? Sure......but very likely? I don't think so.

It requires NO imagination, amigo. Just watch the Washington, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Missouri victories last year. Dominating games against quality opponents. In the first half of the season, the Nebraska offense was the talk of college football. The season went south the moment Taylor Martinez was injured. I'm baffled why some Husker fans prefer to forget that.

How about Washington Part 2, Texas and South Dakota State?

It stretches the imagination to it's very limits seeing a SW coached NU offense storm through opponents (Washington, Fresno St, Ohio St) defenses the 2nd half to victory. Possible? Sure......but very likely? I don't think so.

It requires NO imagination, amigo. Just watch the Washington, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Missouri victories last year. Dominating games against quality opponents. In the first half of the season, the Nebraska offense was the talk of college football. The season went south the moment Taylor Martinez was injured. I'm baffled why some Husker fans prefer to forget that.

Heh, ok.....good point.

Well, except for Missouri those teams you mention were statistically bottom of the barrel defenses. Certainly not remotely close to the defenses we marched on this year (Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, etc). Still though, our offense last year did indeed light them up impressively. You're right about that.

Also last year there was the Texas & SDSU games that were....well, not impressive.

But taken as a whole your point stands. I concede.... :frenchy

GBR!!

Washington Part 2 was perhaps the shittiest game in Nebraska history. That was after Martinez was injured.

Texas was a letdown by the offense, the defense and the special teams. Playcalling wasn't the problem. Pretty sure Watson didn't give orders to drop perfectly placed passes for easy touchdowns.

South Dakota State was the weird little trap game that often catch even good teams without freshmen QBs. We escaped and played better against much better teams.

Beck inherited a more experienced offense, and they've struggled at times, too.

Original premise was that it was impossible to imagine a Shawn Watson offense storming through another defense and I just gave four big, indisputable examples. I'll supply the gaudy stats if you want. For those of you unable or unwilling to remember all the way back to 14 months ago - the Husker offense and it's freshman Heisman trophy candidate were the source of pride and optimism. Until Taylor Martinez got hurt.

Again, just a little weird why it's so hard to admit this.

Heh, ok.....good point.

Well, except for Missouri those teams you mention were statistically bottom of the barrel defenses. Certainly not remotely close to the defenses we marched on this year (Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, etc). Still though, our offense last year did indeed light them up impressively. You're right about that.

Also last year there was the Texas & SDSU games that were....well, not impressive.

But taken as a whole your point stands. I concede.... :frenchy

GBR!!

Awesome. Ignore that last post, then.

I like Beck just fine, btw.

Getting back to the original subject matter

GSG linked a video with this play on it. has anybody ever seen this before?

Coooould be mistaken but I thought we ran it against NW. But no, I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

*note: I didn't mean to spell "could" like that, my phone did it. I'm leaving it that way because it's awsome.. pronounce it like it's spelled when you read that.

This probably isn't a play that could be successful for man teams-- your first two players in the chain have to be excellent at making reads. While Rex is still unsure if he's getting the ball, he has to be reading his own options to determine whether or not he's going to pitch. It's a fairly cerebral play that requires a LOT of quick processing and rapid decision making. Yeah, often teams want their QB to be able to make those sorts of decisions, but the handoff man, too? Not just deciding where he'll run but whether he himself is going to pass it down the line to the pitch man. That is one of those plays that shows that a coach trusts his players... and I think I was griping about that very thing earlier in the season :D

This probably isn't a play that could be successful for man teams-- your first two players in the chain have to be excellent at making reads. While Rex is still unsure if he's getting the ball, he has to be reading his own options to determine whether or not he's going to pitch. It's a fairly cerebral play that requires a LOT of quick processing and rapid decision making. Yeah, often teams want their QB to be able to make those sorts of decisions, but the handoff man, too? Not just deciding where he'll run but whether he himself is going to pass it down the line to the pitch man. That is one of those plays that shows that a coach trusts his players... and I think I was griping about that very thing earlier in the season :D

Different play.

Different play.

Oh, yeah, well if you read what the OP wrote in the original post accurately then, yeah, we're talking about different things. But if you base my response on my superficial glance of the post, then what I write is exactly on topic ;)