Unusual Patterns in China Desert

Having watched this area and activity for years when I was in the military. There's several things that you've found out here. Some of it is "cool" and some of it is just random.

The Gobi area is rife with military activity. The Chinese frequently use it as a military training area. They use it to test new Radars/Weapons Systems/Aircraft etc... Sometimes it's nothing more than just lame artillery training and other times we've been able to catch them testing some pretty advanced weapons systems they've developed to counter our systems. This was the case when I was able to watch them over the course of a few days testing out their "Dragon Eye" system before they placed it on their Luyang II DDG's. Which is their equivalent of our "Aegis or Spy I" system on our DDG's.

The areas that are random roads are just training areas for artillery as speculated.

Probably the most plausible explanation.

Ah no I did that last July.....just me

Que? You did what?

Yea, some friends and I....you know sometimes you're sitting around drinking and get the crazy idea to go mess around in the Gobi...it happens

No but seriously like redblooded posted definitely of military origin and probably ranges...test areas etc...

spy satellite calibration targets according to NASA.

http://www.foxnews.c...ts-expert-says/

Calibration targets? I'm a bit skeptical of this explanation. Spy sat resolutions are a cm or two now. The patterns in the China dessert are several km across. There was never a time when spy sat resolution was so course that those patterns would be useful. Even in the infancy of remote sensing--a half century ago when cameras and film were used--the resolutions were much finer than that.

Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that they were made by aliens. Or perhaps disgruntled Chinese bureaucrats.