Michigan strategy

Can you not agree that taylor has improved drastically since the beginning of the season? Everyone can see it.

Well, it has been an interesting transformation. AH uses the "game changer" vs "game manager" description, which I think is apt.

For whatever reason, T-Mart's game changing explosive plays (on his feet) have been held relatively in check. He has still run effectively at times, but his number of 20+ yard runs has dipped. I think his "manager" role has also helped him avoid turnovers. I am not arguing against the change, but it does come at cost (lost big plays).

Against, MSU or PSU, the manager role was fine, because Bo's D matched up well. But against teams with mobile QBs (OSU, NW, WI), where our D allowed points, it put a lot of onus on T-Mart and offense to match point for point.

This Mich game is going to see points scored (at least by Mich). T-Mart is going to need to make some plays, whether via the air or on the ground to keep NU in the game.

Thank you.

Don't know what I'd do without you putting on my "captian obvious" hat :) (sometimes I wonder why people have to explain things that are so plain to see - but thanks for having the patience that I clearly don't have)

I would ask Michigan fan where T-mart ranks in the Big 10. Top 3 QB's? Maybe?

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

after that, big drop off to:

5-6) TM/Robinson (I honestly think they are a wash...explosive on the ground but bad completion percentages and bad TD-INT ratios. Denard is more explosive but TM is less error-prone)

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

5-6) TM/Robinson (I honestly think they are a wash...explosive on the ground but bad completion percentages and bad TD-INT ratios. Denard is more explosive but TM is less error-prone)

Cousins? I have only watched a couple of his games - but 11/27 0 TDS 1 INT, getting sacked 4 times was what I remember most. Same with Vendenberg - not impressed w/ that kid. He's had some very mediocre games. He hasn't played well against any top defenses.

I'd say there is wilson/persa - then a big drop off. vand/cousins are not any better than robinson/martinez. I'd rather have either robinson/martinez on my team over vand/cousins that's for sure.

• Fire 1

Can you not agree that taylor has improved drastically since the beginning of the season? Everyone can see it.

Well, it has been an interesting transformation. AH uses the "game changer" vs "game manager" description, which I think is apt.

For whatever reason, T-Mart's game changing explosive plays (on his feet) have been held relatively in check. He has still run effectively at times, but his number of 20+ yard runs has dipped. I think his "manager" role has also helped him avoid turnovers. I am not arguing against the change, but it does come at cost (lost big plays).

Against, MSU or PSU, the manager role was fine, because Bo's D matched up well. But against teams with mobile QBs (OSU, NW, WI), where our D allowed points, it put a lot of onus on T-Mart and offense to match point for point.

This Mich game is going to see points scored (at least by Mich). T-Mart is going to need to make some plays, whether via the air or on the ground to keep NU in the game.

Thank you.

Don't know what I'd do without you putting on my "captian obvious" hat :) (sometimes I wonder why people have to explain things that are so plain to see - but thanks for having the patience that I clearly don't have)

While I understand the point that if we lose it may be because Taylor reverted back to his form in the UW game, but a loss doesn't neccesarily mean back to square 1 for him because when we lost to NW it was pretty obvious that Taylor played very well.

I think this game will shape up like OSU last year. We will get scored on. We simply have to score on them more. I would be tickled pink if we win 42-41 and I could easily see that happening.

MSU's offensive line has been absolutely ravaged by injuries and he still has pretty impressive stats despite this.

Vandenberg has the big tens 3rd best passing efficiency, and I've been pretty impressed when I watch him play.

Either way, I think both of our QB's have a lot to fix before they are top 3 in the conference.

Anyone else feel like Lavonte should be a spy on Robinson the whole game? He is not only the best man for the job because he's probably our best all around defender, but he is the most familiar with Robinson and how he plays because they met when they were in high school. I don't know enough about defensive schemes, but it doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me.

I think we can win this one. Drob has been hurt in the past two games and from what I've read on Michigan boards he's not that great of a passer. I hope that Dennard and Co. can pick off several of his passes and that we can see some defensive scoring. I do think it will be important for us to score right away and MAINTAIN that score for the WHOLE 4 QUARTERS of the game. I also hope to see some defensive pressure this game. That's really been lacking. We give the opposing quarterback too much time in the pocket and it kills us.

I think we can win this game, but it will be tough.

Our defense is slowly improving ( A. Green, Compton, Eric Martin, etc.) , but we are a long ways away still from being good.

The one obvious improvement I do see is that our defense has been capitalizing by getting more turnovers. Denard could have a miserable day throwing and get us a few picks.

I hate to be pesimistic, but I think we lose this one. If they let Robinson run, then we will lose ( unless he is really dinged up).

Can't wait for the game!

Thank you.

While I understand the point that if we lose it may be because Taylor reverted back to his form in the UW game, but a loss doesn't neccesarily mean back to square 1 for him because when we lost to NW it was pretty obvious that Taylor played very well.

I think this game will shape up like OSU last year. We will get scored on. We simply have to score on them more. I would be tickled pink if we win 42-41 and I could easily see that happening.

This is an interesting quandary we have with T-Mart. Even as he has matured into a more "complete" QB, in some ways he has also made himself much less relevant as an offensive threat.

The NW game is a great example -- his stats are very, very nice (28-37, 289 yds, 12 rush/53 yds). But they didn't yield much. They were just stats. (to be clear TO's and D were the issue, not T-Mart in that loss.)

But if we saw those stats before the game we all would have thought NU must have won by 20 pts, right?

I think opponents will take that from T-Mart. Stop his big rushing plays and scrambles. Make him throw it around and hope to limit Rex.

That recipe works really well with teams like WI, NW, and Mich who likely are very confident they can score points against NU's D.

Match-ups are key.

At any rate, Bo and staff have definitively changed philosophies concerning T-Mart's offensive role, the load is solidly on Rex and the O-line to win games, and I think that is a good strategy overall, but does get tested in potentially high scoring match-ups.

Thank you.

This is an interesting quandary we have with T-Mart. Even as he has matured into a more "complete" QB, in some ways he has also made himself much less relevant as an offensive threat.

The NW game is a great example -- his stats are very, very nice (28-37, 289 yds, 12 rush/53 yds). But they didn't yield much. They were just stats. (to be clear TO's and D were the issue, not T-Mart in that loss.)

But if we saw those stats before the game we all would have thought NU must have won by 20 pts, right?

I think opponents will take that from T-Mart. Stop his big rushing plays and scrambles. Make him throw it around and hope to limit Rex.

That recipe works really well with teams like WI, NW, and Mich who likely are very confident they can score points against NU's D.

Match-ups are key.

At any rate, Bo and staff have definitively changed philosophies concerning T-Mart's offensive role, the load is solidly on Rex and the O-line to win games, and I think that is a good strategy overall, but does get tested in potentially high scoring match-ups.

Exactly.

Which is what I've said since day 1: If you want to turn TMart into Tom Brady, then go get a Tom Brady-like QB. Don't try to make chicken salad out of chicken pooh. Okay - slight exaggeration but you see my point.

Look, I like what TM is doing now and I really feel that they'll run him more once he gets more comfortable in the offense, but DANG! It's Almost December with 3-4 games left. I want the old "3-yards and a cloud of dust TMart" but........if the offense can't handle blowing people off the LOS, then "that" TMart will never be seen again. So I guess we now have "Manager TMart" coupled with a few designed runs..... Oh well, as long as we win (read: OL plays with some pride)

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

vandy=no.

cousins=no.

you are looking at it from a pure passing perspective. rushing IS a part of the game and has to be taken into account. i would say that both of our qbs are top 4 in conference for sure. stats arent everything. you cant measure leadership in stats last i checked. and i would argue that both are about the same explosively. you wont see it this weekend because TM has been held back for obvious reasons but he is a very very explosive player.

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

vandy=no.

cousins=no.

you are looking at it from a pure passing perspective. rushing IS a part of the game and has to be taken into account. i would say that both of our qbs are top 4 in conference for sure. stats arent everything. you cant measure leadership in stats last i checked. and i would argue that both are about the same explosively. you wont see it this weekend because TM has been held back for obvious reasons but he is a very very explosive player.

Eh...I hope I'm wrong, but I really think Denard has regressed every week this year. The past 2 weeks, he was downright terrible (he had 2 awful turnovers which singlehandedly lost the Iowa game). His main job right lately has been to be a distraction to the defense to clear up space for our running backs. At this point, I don't think I could put him in the top 4 in the league.

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

Cousins? I have only watched a couple of his games - but 11/27 0 TDS 1 INT, getting sacked 4 times was what I remember most. Same with Vendenberg - not impressed w/ that kid. He's had some very mediocre games. He hasn't played well against any top defenses.

I'd say there is wilson/persa - then a big drop off. vand/cousins are not any better than robinson/martinez. I'd rather have either robinson/martinez on my team over vand/cousins that's for sure.

Me too and it's not even close.

Vandenburg & Cousins would get stranded with our wrs unique ability to drop passes everywhere as they're not going to beat or threaten anybody's DC with their feet. We'd be in 2009 mode with those guys.

Also agree Wilson & Persa are awesome but after those two I'd take DRob/Tmart by a country mile.

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

vandy=no.

cousins=no.

Again BTN has all of that info. As for leadership and intangibles, I would have to say Cousins has to be #1. All you have to do is listen to him talk, very smart and well spoken kid. If you are smart off the field, you are smart on it as well.

B10 QBs, I would rank:

1) Wilson

2) Vanderberg

3) Persa

4) Cousins

vandy=no.

cousins=no.

Again BTN has all of that info. As for leadership and intangibles, I would have to say Cousins has to be #1. All you have to do is listen to him talk, very smart and well spoken kid. If you are smart off the field, you are smart on it as well.

having the info is all fine and dandy but again stats are not everything. you are looking at it from a pure stats point of view without realizing that different teams have different uses for their qbs. that means that the best qb in the conference may have the worst passing stats but absolutely be the qb that runs his team the best and does the most for his team. and i like cousins but that doesnt mean he can take command of his team well