Is the defensive scheme to technical

lo country

Why don't you ask this question to Dejon Gomes, Prince Amukamara, Eric Hagg, Larry Asante, Matt O'Hanlon, Ndamukong Suh, Barry Turner, Lavonte David, Alfonzo Dennard, Daimion Stafford? When the defense as a unit gets it and are athletic enough to make plays, it is the best defensive scheme in the country. This year, we don't have the depth in the secondary or the athleticism to make the plays. We also have no depth behind David and Compton at LB. Combine this with not having big bodies at DL to clog up holes and stand their ground, and that is why the D is struggling so much this year.

I know I don't know all the answers, but this is my diagnosis. Once we get better athletes here, we start dominating again.

That's just it. Those guys were/are juniors and seniors. Underclassmen don't seem to do well/play in it.

As Husker Richard said above, you have Cassidy and Thorell starting over possibly more athletic guys because they know the system. This is not getting your "best" players on the field. It is getting your most knowledgeable and that doesn't always translate to wins.

We need a system to get the best playmakers on the field. If it means implementing the system little by little to get 1-2 more wins per year then do it.

Why don't you ask this question to Dejon Gomes, Prince Amukamara, Eric Hagg, Larry Asante, Matt O'Hanlon, Ndamukong Suh, Barry Turner, Lavonte David, Alfonzo Dennard, Daimion Stafford? When the defense as a unit gets it and are athletic enough to make plays, it is the best defensive scheme in the country. This year, we don't have the depth in the secondary or the athleticism to make the plays. We also have no depth behind David and Compton at LB. Combine this with not having big bodies at DL to clog up holes and stand their ground, and that is why the D is struggling so much this year.

I know I don't know all the answers, but this is my diagnosis. Once we get better athletes here, we start dominating again.

That's just it. Those guys were/are juniors and seniors. Underclassmen don't seem to do well/play in it.

As Husker Richard said above, you have Cassidy and Thorell starting over possibly more athletic guys because they know the system. This is not getting your "best" players on the field. It is getting your most knowledgeable and that doesn't always translate to wins.

We need a system to get the best playmakers on the field. If it means implementing the system little by little to get 1-2 more wins per year then do it.

I think that you forget the fact that very few young players are physically mature enough to take on the challenge of playing as a freshman or redshirt freshman. They need that extra time to absorb the scheme and build their bodies so they can endure a full season

Whose fault is it that we don't have depth or athleticism in the secondary or big bodies at the DL to clog up the holes? The staff's fault for not recruiting guys to execute the scheme we are trying to run.

When things go great, the coordinator is a genius. The minute they turn south, the same trite, hackneyed expressions come out of the woodwork...

too technical

going away from what was working

etc, etc. I know I would definitely not want to throw a simple defense out there though. One that's easy to exploit. Were TO's offensive schemes too technical? Seems like it took guys paying their dues for years just to start, especially on the OL. If that's technical, who cares? It worked well.

Bo has a long, impressive resume of defenses that he built in the college ranks. If these players aren't getting it, I think it is an issue with the players and not with the system that has worked so well for so long. Of course, you might also say it is the fault of the coaches that these are the players we have to work with, poor fit into the system or whatever it is.

Really though, I think we are just adjusting. A lot of young pieces that are needing time to develop. Moreover, the Bo defense (and not the Carlfense) did not even do too badly today. It was just an ugly, messy game. They were bound to get worn down sooner or later, the way things were going.

It also comes down to fundamentals. The scheme could be as basic as it gets and we'd still screw it up because we can't tackle worth a damn. The arm tackling is becoming a huge problem. I can't remember how many times we've had a guy stopped for a loss or no gain only to have him squirt out for 5 or 6 yards.

My most frequently yelled phrase during games this year has got to be, "Wrap the eff up!!!!!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has spent a lot of time yelling that exact phrase this season... I clearly remember someone (pretty sure it was Meredith) completely stopping and attempting to arm tackle Robinson (and, of course, whiffing) during one play. He had a perfect opportunity to step up and lower the boom on him, but no, he literally stopped short of him and stuck his arm out in front of him.

I think it is much more a talent issue. And it's very concerning. Is this the typical level of talent Bo and his staff will bring in (90% of these players are Bo's recruits)? I hope not. Let's compare the 2009 defense (mostly the old staff's recruits) to this one, ranking their talent 1-5 for the top 13...

2009:

Suh 5 Dillard 4 Asante 4 Crick 4 Ohanlon 3 Prince 4 Allen 3 Turner 4 Gomes 4 Hagg 4 Compton 2 Dennard 4 Fisher

Total: 46

2011:

David 5 Compton 3 Stafford 3 Cassidy 2 Meredith 3 Green 2 Steinkuhler 3 Thorell 1 Evans 1 Fisher 1 Dennard 5 Martin 3 Crick 5

Total: 37

Not trying to knock your post, but just curious how you came up with these rankings? Just your opinion or was this supposed to be based on recruiting stars or something?

Not recruiting, just my assessment of how talented they actually were on the field.

Im pretty sure you do not attend practice every day, so 4 hours of observation a week, cut that in half for the defense and lets just say 40 plays week just doesnt justify your expert opinion.