Ten Years Ago Today

PaulCrewe

new age football is where we are headed, we want to be like Oregon, we want to be multiple.....we want to be....to be.......to be.....nevermind.

I don't want to be like another team-I want to be like the winning teams of Nebraska gone by. When we start trying to be something we're not we get into huge trouble (i.e. Callahan-Pederson experiment!) Let's be who we are: Smashmouth/tough/running football team.

Oklahoma didn't have to stick to the wishbone.......

There was a period of time between the wishbone and the more recent teams where Oklahoma absolutely sucked (90s). Now Oklahoma has an identity on offense and are consistently in the MNC picture. They were 61-51-3 during the 90s. Nebraska's worst decade(2000s, 84-44) in the past 50 years was not even close to being that bad. If we give this system some time and get a little continuity in the staff, the Nebraska Cornhuskers will most likely become a contender again.

Pelini needs to figure out exactly what he wants to accomplish here, and set up the offense/defense to accomplish that. Once that is done, he can go out and recruit the guys that best fit what he wants to do. They want to be smashmouth? Go out and recruit the hell out of the biggest and baddest Olinemen in the country, redshirt them, get them in the weight room, and by the time they are jrs/srs, let the pipeline roll. Go after the best rbs. If they want to run some type of finesse offense (which I really don't care as long as it works), then go after fleet wr's and gunslinger qb's and pass protecting Olinemen.

Right now, it just doesn't seem like NU knows exactly which direction it wants to go, but I think they're on the right path. Give it some time fellas. If we're chatting with our family after thanksgiving dinner in 2014 about these same issues, then we've got problems. I have faith in Pelini, always have. He'll figure it out.