Mike Sherman vs. Bill Callahan

Mike Sherman for DC? :sarcasm

I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a bashing of BC and Bo and their head coaching styles. I just thought it was fun to point out how similar BC's and Mike Sherman's college head coaching stints were very similar...

You should have known better than that..lol. The biggest thing that they have in common is that they weren't given a fair chance and they both came from the NFL.

Mike Sherman for DC? :sarcasm

I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a bashing of BC and Bo and their head coaching styles. I just thought it was fun to point out how similar BC's and Mike Sherman's college head coaching stints were very similar...

It was a pretty good topic until people had to start interjecting with the same tride and true agenda that has grown tiresome. I'm all for questioning and discussion but could we at least keep it relevant to the topic at hand.

Guess we should of just kept frank, what we have now is a carbon copy of the program we had in 2003...........beat the teams we should, get crushed against the good teams, win 8-9 games a year, very average recruiting. Doesn't make me happy(i want championships, conference +), but a majority on this board are ok with it.

:facepalm:

I'm assuming that the truth hurts? Because he's right, the only part that he left out was choking at home to bad teams once a year.

I just thank God TO isn't Pedey or either of you two.

Firing a HC & staff for winning nine or ten games is stupid beyond belief. We do that "again", twice in a decade, we're Minnesota at best as no HC worth their salt would touch us with a ten foot pole.

Guess we should of just kept frank, what we have now is a carbon copy of the program we had in 2003...........beat the teams we should, get crushed against the good teams, win 8-9 games a year, very average recruiting. Doesn't make me happy(i want championships, conference +), but a majority on this board are ok with it.

I'm assuming that the truth hurts? Because he's right, the only part that he left out was choking at home to bad teams once a year.

Firing a HC & staff for winning nine or ten games is stupid beyond belief. We do that "again", twice in a decade, we're Minnesota at best as no HC worth their salt would touch us with a ten foot pole.

We don't know that because we have never done a true coaching search other than the F'ed up one Peterson did. And nobody wanted the job then because they saw how little talent was left. Then TO already had his mind made up before he talked to his one candidate in Grobe, but with the stipulation of having to use TO's/Franks assistants, of course Grobe declined to take the job.

Right now we are the equivalent of Missouri or Michigan State.

How did BC recruit so well? Was it the NFL rings or was he just a good salesman?

First off he made it a priority and used close to if not all the official visits during the season (55) Bo has used 25 this year and Frank averaged less than 10. So Bo isn't as bad as Frank was, but he's not good either. Then I'm assuming the SB experience paid off too.

We don't know that because we have never done a true coaching search other than the F'ed up one Peterson did. And nobody wanted the job then because they saw how little talent was left. Then TO already had his mind made up before he talked to his one candidate in Grobe, but with the stipulation of having to use TO's/Franks assistants, of course Grobe declined to take the job.

Great, let's be total morons again. Fire Bo and bring in our next NFL genius! Who knows? It was massive disaster last time but so much fun let's give it another try.

Michigan St & even Missouri aren't stupid enough to be firing their HC & staff. But "we" are. Just wonderful. Fire Bo & staff and Missouri & Michigan St will look VERY, very good when we're again winning five games a year.

It would be interesting to see where Nebraska football would be if BC wasn't so stubborn about having Cosgrove as the defensive coordinator. He could score points, but our defense had to be one of the worst defenses of all time for a top 10 college football program.

The 2007 offense really wasn't all that good. That year, no one in the Big XII played defense, and whenever Nebraska played against a decent defense, the offense sputtered.

Was that BC's last year? We scored all over KU who had a good D. We had 200 yard vs USC at half. We also had good yardage at UT. This is just stuff off the top of my head....

Well, we mustered up a whole big "10" pts going into the 4th qtr down 42 - 10. We then exploded for 21 garbage pts vs USC's 3rd string waterboys. Helped the stats tremendously!

we had 200 yards at half when the game was close.

We scored "all over" Kansas due to the game being over midway through the 2nd qtr (48 pts for Kansas at halftime). Kansas cruised to 76 pts without breaking a sweat. Essentially, we played their waterboys for well over half the game. Again, great for stats! I highly, highly doubt Kansas was overly concerned giving up some yds/pts in that one as they literally scored at will.

We moved the ball right down the field over and over in the first half. My KU friend texted me "looks like the winner will be whoever has the ball last" in the first half.

Sam Keller has a very good day vs Texas but our run game was "totally" stuffed rushing for only 132 yds. With zero running game we gave up the lead and lost.

2007 is loaded to the gills with garbage offensive statistics. It was a horrible year and best forgotten.

Many teams only run for around 132 yards in a game and it ends up a good day for the O.

Your reply is very biased.

Zoogies, Bo might of went to one super bowl(as LB coach), NOT head coach(big difference), what is there, 6 maybe 7 LB's on an NFL roster? He was getting told what and what not to do, BC was the head guy calling the shots. Not sure what you mean about Callahan pushing the envelope on recruiting, but he was fired with NO NCAA violations or even an investgation. Auburn wins the title last year with everybody in the world knowing that Newton got paid. No NCAA violations. My point is that the 4yrs BC was given, he brought in talent, without cheating, he did it on his on own resume, he surrounded himself with good recruiters. Now, what makes bo a defensive genious? We had 3 legite defensive All-Americans in the preseason, pretty crappy defense, I think you would agree. Putting a crappy defense with an offense that even the coaches cant explain tells me that we are no further ahead than we were 8 yrs ago, sorry but its a fact. No disrespect meant.

Our D this year is bi-polar not crappy.

Bo was 27 at the time of that Super Bowl. He had an impressive resume built up early in his coaching career at a young age. I mean, we all know Bo was not a seasoned head coach and that was a concern when he was hired. I don't know what you mean about "football knowledge", because Bo is one of the premiere defensive minds in the country right now. His record speaks for itself over the years. We may have had three AAs in the preseason, but the lack of talent present otherwise really showed. Bo can take some of the blame but it doesn't take away from his prowess as a DC.

What I meant about BC was a very high complement. He raised the bar for recruiting and showed what we could accomplish, even at Nebraska, if we got after it. And yes, he surrounded himself with good recruiters.

I won't argue too much about your point as to where we are as a program because I've also some concerns with the recruiting. I think Bo is a better DC than Frank was an OC, not sure it's even close. But recruiting is a big piece of the puzzle. Without getting after it more, we'll find our talent pool drying up even more.

Solid

Great, let's be total morons again. Fire Bo and bring in our next NFL genius! Who knows? It was massive disaster last time but so much fun let's give it another try.

Michigan St & even Missouri aren't stupid enough to be firing their HC & staff. But "we" are. Just wonderful. Fire Bo & staff and Missouri & Michigan St will look VERY, very good when we're again winning five games a year.

You are such a simpleton. When did I say I wanted to fire Bo? Stop assuming things and putting words in my mouth. The only moron around here is you and people like you that are hypricrites. For every reason that you chased BC out of town, you are making excuses for Bo. I didn' think BC deserved to be fired (at that time) and he should have been allowed to get a new DC, but he wasn't allowed to by TO. And as I just said I don't think Bo desrves to be fired (yet) he gets two more years to use his own players, he did well with BC's players, but it will be his recruiting or lack there of that will make him a success or failure.

How did BC recruit so well? Was it the NFL rings or was he just a good salesman?

Who knows...how does any good recruiter recruit well? Probably a mix of a lot of things.

Really how do some coach's sell there program better than others. ALA. sucked before Saban showed and USC was down too. So how did they turn it around?