Mike Sherman vs. Bill Callahan

It would be interesting to see where Nebraska football would be if BC wasn't so stubborn about having Cosgrove as the defensive coordinator. He could score points, but our defense had to be one of the worst defenses of all time for a top 10 college football program.

The 2007 offense really wasn't all that good. That year, no one in the Big XII played defense, and whenever Nebraska played against a decent defense, the offense sputtered.

It would be interesting to see where Nebraska football would be if BC wasn't so stubborn about having Cosgrove as the defensive coordinator. He could score points, but our defense had to be one of the worst defenses of all time for a top 10 college football program.

It is weird to think that Callahan could maybe still be here if he had a better defense. But I think there were a lot of other reasons why he left. A lot of former players were upset that they couldn't come around anymore. People were really mad.

As soon as Pederson was fired you knew Callahan was gone whether he fired Cosgrove or not.

I actually believe Sherman was a good college coach. He had really good teams at A&M, but they just couldn't finish games. A&M had at least 3 or 4 games this year where they should have won but they came out of halftime and looked really flat in the second half.

If you're a coach and you have a really good team and they keep coming out flat in the second half, you might not be a very good coach.

If A&M had any sort of defense they would've been a top 15 team this year. The "Wrecking Crew" let them down in some big games this year: Okie State, Arkansas, Texas, and Kansas State.

This is exactly my point! Any sort of defense and we would have been close to top 15 too. I think they're too stubborn to admit defeat and change coordinators/philosiphies to win games.

Are you joking? They brought in Tim DeRuyter last year who completely changed the philosophy, and he did a hell of a job with last year's defense. Them losing Von Miller was about like us losing Suh.

If A&M had any sort of defense they would've been a top 15 team this year. The "Wrecking Crew" let them down in some big games this year: Okie State, Arkansas, Texas, and Kansas State.

This is exactly my point! Any sort of defense and we would have been close to top 15 too. I think they're too stubborn to admit defeat and change coordinators/philosiphies to win games.

Are you joking? They brought in Tim DeRuyter last year who completely changed the philosophy, and he did a hell of a job with last year's defense. Them losing Von Miller was about like us losing Suh.

Except, without Suh, Nebraska still had one of the best defenses in college football.

Except, without Suh, Nebraska still had one of the best defenses in college football.

Correction: them losing Von Miller was much more devastating than us losing Suh.

But let's not kid ourselves, our defense took a huge step back without Suh. Especially in the run game.

Mike Sherman was hired the same month that Bill Callahan was fired by Nebraska. I distinctly remember thinking why in the hell would they go down the same path that we had just got through finishing.

Both lasted 4 years, both were terrible in the beginning, made you believe they were good in the middle, and completly bombed their last seasons. BC was 5 games over .500 and Sherman finished at .500.

Guys that are NFL guys first and then come to college just don't work. The same goes for alot of college guys going to the NFL.

Pete Carroll?

He did coach in college for 10 years before the NFL. Most coaches seem to be either successful in the NFL or college, not both. Carroll's still under .500 with the Seahawks and sucked with the Jets. Great at USC though...

Jim Harbaugh?

Alright...I'll give you that one so far...

He build a bad Stanford program up and is doing really well with SF. Singletary must have been an awful coach because their roster isn't much different than last year...

The majority of that time was as a grad assistant, only 3 season as an actual coordinator, and that is about the only way to get into coaching at a high level out of college. After his 10 years in college he spent 15 in the NFL before jumping to USC, so he's hard to pin down I guess.

I'm just giving you a hard time on that one, there's always exceptions. But not many can make the transition between mentoring youth and playing the business that is the NFL and vice versa.

Mike Sherman was hired the same month that Bill Callahan was fired by Nebraska. I distinctly remember thinking why in the hell would they go down the same path that we had just got through finishing.

Both lasted 4 years, both were terrible in the beginning, made you believe they were good in the middle, and completly bombed their last seasons. BC was 5 games over .500 and Sherman finished at .500.

Guys that are NFL guys first and then come to college just don't work. The same goes for alot of college guys going to the NFL.

I guess I don't remember the part about ever believing Clownahan was good at any point. Maybe it's just me. :dunno

Being successful in the NFL does not mean you'll succeed in college. See Bill Walsh. One of the best ever in the pro's, had a losing record in college.

I think ppl can succeed at both, but I honestly do not believe the same approach can be successful at both. There is a big difference in coaching college kids that you have to recruit and coaching paid professionals that you draft.

Correction: them losing Von Miller was much more devastating than us losing Suh.

But let's not kid ourselves, our defense took a huge step back without Suh. Especially in the run game.

That, I can agree with.

There was a guy on HP that was part of the program and said BC wanted to get a new DC, but we wouldn't spend the money.

The 2007 offense really wasn't all that good. That year, no one in the Big XII played defense, and whenever Nebraska played against a decent defense, the offense sputtered.

Was that BC's last year? We scored all over KU who had a good D. We had 200 yard vs USC at half. We also had good yardage at UT. This is just stuff off the top of my head....

Was that BC's last year? We scored all over KU who had a good D. We had 200 yard vs USC at half. We also had good yardage at UT. This is just stuff off the top of my head....

20 against Wake Forest.

6 against Missouri.

14 against Oklahoma State.

14 against TAMU.

The offense ran up and down the field on the other eight teams on that list, but none of those teams had very good defenses.