Mike Sherman vs. Bill Callahan

It is weird to think that Callahan could maybe still be here if he had a better defense. But I think there were a lot of other reasons why he left. A lot of former players were upset that they couldn't come around anymore. People were really mad.

As soon as Pederson was fired you knew Callahan was gone whether he fired Cosgrove or not.

My feeling is that some former players really hated the way FS was fired and I can't blame them. Then they saw an outsider in his place...w/ virtually an entire new staff...and new offense. They lost the close connection they had...that couldn't be manufactured again w/ ANY outsider. I think this made them bitter, close minded and even negative...and that is why some may not have been invited to be around...or welcomed. It's crazy to think BC woudln'dt want former players around. In fact he did have some around...and they were probably the ones that weren't negative...or a bad influence/energy. Remember BC's last year there were some players that actually wanted us to lose games so there would be pressure to fire BC. Matt Davidson said this on the radio.

I understand them feeling like they lost their 2nd home...but in times like that you need to put your big boy pants on and realize things change.

Say what you want...but BC is a great coach(at least as an assistant) and guy or McBride wouldn't have gone over the top about how excited he was about the hiring of him. He didn't just say he thought it was a good hire..he went on and on and on about it.

NOW Peterson...I was always confused about the why the people in the admin didn't like him. Then that article came out about how he hired a consultant from the east coast to come in and his advice was all wrong/bad...wrong for a place like NU. It seems like that was probably what did SP in.

It would be interesting to see where Nebraska football would be if BC wasn't so stubborn about having Cosgrove as the defensive coordinator. He could score points, but our defense had to be one of the worst defenses of all time for a top 10 college football program.

The 2007 offense really wasn't all that good. That year, no one in the Big XII played defense, and whenever Nebraska played against a decent defense, the offense sputtered.

Was that BC's last year? We scored all over KU who had a good D. We had 200 yard vs USC at half. We also had good yardage at UT. This is just stuff off the top of my head....

20 against Wake Forest.

6 against Missouri.

14 against Oklahoma State.

14 against TAMU.

The offense ran up and down the field on the other eight teams on that list, but none of those teams had very good defenses.

KU, USC and UT didn't have good D? Maybe not top 10, but still solid.

Also remember that going in to each year BC never had a QB w/ more than 1 year in his system. I think that is a very relevant fact to consider.

Guys that are NFL guys first and then come to college just don't work. The same goes for alot of college guys going to the NFL.

So, actually Bill Callahan should have worked according to your theory. His first 15 years in the business were in college including starting at Illinois and ending at Wiscy. So I can't really 100% buy that theory.

And A&M probably thought Mike would work considering he had coached at A&M for seven years as an OLine coach. He was used to their culture and familiar with their program. Things that Billy C had no real clue about here.

Odd thing is I've heard it it mentioned multiple times that Bo runs his team like it was the NFL.

News to me. I thought that's what we wanted to change once BC was fired. ?

A lot of NFL coaches who know Bo say he runs Nebraska like a pro team, but not in the same way Callahan did. It's high praise for Bo.

It would be interesting to see where Nebraska football would be if BC wasn't so stubborn about having Cosgrove as the defensive coordinator. He could score points, but our defense had to be one of the worst defenses of all time for a top 10 college football program.

The 2007 offense really wasn't all that good. That year, no one in the Big XII played defense, and whenever Nebraska played against a decent defense, the offense sputtered.

Was that BC's last year? We scored all over KU who had a good D. We had 200 yard vs USC at half. We also had good yardage at UT. This is just stuff off the top of my head....

20 against Wake Forest.

6 against Missouri.

14 against TAMU.

The offense ran up and down the field on the other eight teams on that list, but none of those teams had very good defenses.

Also remember that going in to each year BC never had a QB w/ more than 1 year in his system. I think that is a very valid fact to consider.

Kansas and Texas, no. USC had a very good defense, though.

20 against Wake Forest.

6 against Missouri.

14 against TAMU.

Also remember that going in to each year BC never had a QB w/ more than 1 year in his system. I think that is a very valid fact to consider.

Ahh... thegood old Texas game. That tought us all if you live by the blitz you die by the blitz. Somwhere Jamall Charles is still running around the corner and down the sidelines.

20 against Wake Forest.

6 against Missouri.

14 against TAMU.

Ahh... thegood old Texas game. That tought us all if you live by the blitz you die by the blitz. Somwhere Jamall Charles is still running around the corner and down the sidelines.

I literally threw up in the 4th quarter. It wasnt because I was drinking so much, it was because I was so excited for us to be playing well through the first 3 quarters.

IMO, looking back on it now. BC was doomed from the start. He was hired by an AD that wanted to put his stamp on the program, by trying to bring it to 21st century, getting rid of the walkon program, running the team like an NFL program. Everybody saw what Carroll was doing at USC, SP felt Nebraska needed to head that direction as far as type of athletes we recruit, the culture of the program, etc. etc.

Sherman and Callahan failing has little to do with them being "NFL guys" in my opinion.

Heck...Bo is an NFL guy. He has been described as running Nebraska "like an NFL team" by some type of NFL personnel in an article discussing college HCs who could make the NFL jump. Dunno if I would be able to find that article...

Well, we mustered up a whole big "10" pts going into the 4th qtr down 42 - 10. We then exploded for 21 garbage pts vs USC's 3rd string waterboys. Helped the stats tremendously!

We scored "all over" Kansas due to the game being over midway through the 2nd qtr (48 pts for Kansas at halftime). Kansas cruised to 76 pts without breaking a sweat. Essentially, we played their waterboys for well over half the game. Again, great for stats! I highly, highly doubt Kansas was overly concerned giving up some yds/pts in that one as they literally scored at will.

Sam Keller has a very good day vs Texas but our run game was "totally" stuffed rushing for only 132 yds. With zero running game we gave up the lead and lost.

2007 is loaded to the gills with garbage offensive statistics. It was a horrible year and best forgotten.

Mike Sherman was hired the same month that Bill Callahan was fired by Nebraska. I distinctly remember thinking why in the hell would they go down the same path that we had just got through finishing.

Both lasted 4 years, both were terrible in the beginning, made you believe they were good in the middle, and completly bombed their last seasons. BC was 5 games over .500 and Sherman finished at .500.

Guys that are NFL guys first and then come to college just don't work. The same goes for alot of college guys going to the NFL.

Pete Carroll?

Technically, his players were paid, so it was a pro team

Well, we mustered up a whole big "10" pts going into the 4th qtr down 42 - 10. We then exploded for 21 garbage pts vs USC's 3rd string waterboys. Helped the stats tremendously!

We scored "all over" Kansas due to the game being over midway through the 2nd qtr (48 pts for Kansas at halftime). Kansas cruised to 76 pts without breaking a sweat. Essentially, we played their waterboys for well over half the game. Again, great for stats! I highly, highly doubt Kansas was overly concerned giving up some yds/pts in that one as they literally scored at will.

Sam Keller has a very good day vs Texas but our run game was "totally" stuffed rushing for only 132 yds. With zero running game we gave up the lead and lost.

2007 is loaded to the gills with garbage offensive statistics. It was a horrible year and best forgotten.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Guess we should of just kept frank, what we have now is a carbon copy of the program we had in 2003...........beat the teams we should, get crushed against the good teams, win 8-9 games a year, very average recruiting. Doesn't make me happy(i want championships, conference +), but a majority on this board are ok with it.

Do you really need to bring that divisive crap into a thread that has very little to do with the subject you just posted about? I think we've had enough of that conversation for awhile and we will probably see it all off season too. If you want to stir the pot again start another thread about it or better yet just dig up one of the older ones, shouldn't have to look too far, but don't cloud an interesting discussion with that filth.