Alec Baldwin Tossed by American Airlines

I'm on Baldwin's side here. Sure AA probably is technically right about whatever the official rules are. However I've NEVER seen the rule of turning off your phone even be mentioned until the middle of the taxiing. NEVER while still at the gate. Sounds like they had some Barney Fife flight attendants here.

I'd also like to know if they gave him a heads up before kicking him off. LIke..."you need to sit down and turn off your phone or you'll be kicked off".

The last straw in the Alec Baldwin/American Airlines incident came when he "slammed" the bathroom door so loudly the captain of Flight 4 had to get involved ... according to people on the plane.

We're told Baldwin's tweets about the incident are on point -- flight attendants wanted him to shut off his cell phone in the middle of a game of "Words with Friends" ... after the cabin door closed, but the plane remained at the gate.

But according to passengers ... after the confrontation over his phone, Alec got up to go to the bathroom and angrily slammed the lavatory door. We're told it was so loud the captain called back to flight attendants to find out what was happening.

That's when the captain himself made the call to have Baldwin removed.

Sources close to Alec claim he did not slam the door, and only got up to get the flight attendant's name so he could file a complaint -- but because the fasten seat belt sign was on he was asked to leave the plane.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/06/alec-baldwin-american-airlines-throw-off-words-with-friends/#.Tt-iQFYZ_Po

Here is an updated story from the same site.

American Airlines claims Alec Baldwin was "extremely rude to the crew" on a flight out of LAX yesterday -- "calling them inappropriate names and using offensive language."

In the wake of Baldwin's Twitter attacks on the company, AA has finally released a statement ... confirming what TMZ reported yesterday -- he was an epic jerk.

AA says, "Since an extremely vocal customer has publicly identified himself as being removed from an American Airlines flight on Tuesday, Dec. 6, we have elected to provide the actual facts of the matter as well as the FAA regulations which American, and all airlines, must enforce. Cell phones and electronic devices are allowed to be used while the aircraft is at the gate and the door is open for boarding."

"When the door is closed for departure and the seat belt light is turned on, all cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off for taxi-out and take-off."

"This passenger declined to turn off his cell phone when asked to do so at the appropriate time. The passenger ultimately stood up (with the seat belt light still on for departure) and took his phone into the plane’s lavatory. He slammed the lavatory door so hard, the cockpit crew heard it and became alarmed, even with the cockpit door closed and locked."

"They immediately contacted the cabin crew to check on the situation. The passenger was extremely rude to the crew, calling them inappropriate names and using offensive language. Given the facts above, the passenger was removed from the flight and denied boarding."

I'm on Alex's side here too. Flying these days really sucks compared to what it used to be like before 911. It's sad to see what the airline industry has become now that the TSA bureaucrats have taken over. I used to enjoy it, but I hate to fly now. Whatever happened to flying the friendly skies?

American Airlines is wrong.

Cell Phones: A Different Animal

Cell phones (and other intentional transmitters) differ from most PEDs in that they send out signals strong enough to be received at distances far away from the user.

Since 1991, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has banned the inflight use of 800 MHz cell phones because of potential interference with ground networks. This ban requires that in addition to the testing the FAA requires to show non-interference to the airplane systems, an airline would also need to apply for an exemption to the FCC rule before it could allow cell phone use inflight. The FCC proposed modifying this ban in 2004, but subsequently withdrew the proposal based on the comments it received.

Even if the FCC ever rescinds its ban, FAA regulations would still apply. Any installed equipment would be subject to FAA certification, just like any other piece of hardware. The air carrier would have to show that the use of a particular model phone won’t interfere with the navigation and communications systems of the particular type of aircraft on which it will be used.

Today, airlines may let passengers use newer-model cell phones in what’s called "airplane" mode, which essentially disables the transmission function so they can't make calls. This mode lets users do other things, such as play games, check an address or look at the phone’s calendar. FAA guidance does let airlines allow cell phone calls once the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate.

I'm on Baldwin's side here. Sure AA probably is technically right about whatever the official rules are. However I've NEVER seen the rule of turning off your phone even be mentioned until the middle of the taxiing. NEVER while still at the gate. Sounds like they had some Barney Fife flight attendants here.

I'd also like to know if they gave him a heads up before kicking him off. LIke..."you need to sit down and turn off your phone or you'll be kicked off".

The last straw in the Alec Baldwin/American Airlines incident came when he "slammed" the bathroom door so loudly the captain of Flight 4 had to get involved ... according to people on the plane.

We're told Baldwin's tweets about the incident are on point -- flight attendants wanted him to shut off his cell phone in the middle of a game of "Words with Friends" ... after the cabin door closed, but the plane remained at the gate.

But according to passengers ... after the confrontation over his phone, Alec got up to go to the bathroom and angrily slammed the lavatory door. We're told it was so loud the captain called back to flight attendants to find out what was happening.

Sources close to Alec claim he did not slam the door, and only got up to get the flight attendant's name so he could file a complaint -- but because the fasten seat belt sign was on he was asked to leave the plane.

http://www.tmz.com/2...s/#.Tt-iQFYZ_Po

Cell phones (and other intentional transmitters) differ from most PEDs in that they send out signals strong enough to be received at distances far away from the user.

Since 1991, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has banned the inflight use of 800 MHz cell phones because of potential interference with ground networks. This ban requires that in addition to the testing the FAA requires to show non-interference to the airplane systems, an airline would also need to apply for an exemption to the FCC rule before it could allow cell phone use inflight. The FCC proposed modifying this ban in 2004, but subsequently withdrew the proposal based on the comments it received.

Even if the FCC ever rescinds its ban, FAA regulations would still apply. Any installed equipment would be subject to FAA certification, just like any other piece of hardware. The air carrier would have to show that the use of a particular model phone won’t interfere with the navigation and communications systems of the particular type of aircraft on which it will be used.

Today, airlines may let passengers use newer-model cell phones in what’s called "airplane" mode, which essentially disables the transmission function so they can't make calls. This mode lets users do other things, such as play games, check an address or look at the phone’s calendar. FAA guidance does let airlines allow cell phone calls once the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate.

On all the flights I take (over 50k miles this year) they tell you that phones are OK until the door is shut, not during taxi for takeoff, but at the gate, you must sit down buckle in and turn your phone off.

Knappic: That rule applies to after landing this was before take off. Baldwin is 100% wrong in this case, he should not of gotten up when they were trying to leave, and he should of turned his phone off.

On all the flights I take (over 50k miles this year) they tell you that phones are OK until the door is shut, not during taxi for takeoff, but at the gate, you must sit down buckle in and turn your phone off.

Knappic: That rule applies to after landing this was before take off. Baldwin is 100% wrong in this case, he should not of gotten up when they were trying to leave, and he should of turned his phone off.

and they should have given him a warning...sit down and turn your phone off your else... Seems to have been a battle of egos..and I hold the customer LESS accountable during those.

I fly SW and every flight I've been(that I can recall and I fly 15-20 times/yr) on the plane is taxi'n when they say "turn off your electronic devices". I'm sure on this because this is when I put my phone on vibrate and turn it upside down on my lap until I turn it off right before we take off. :)

Side comments - Anyone ever have them tell you to close your window shades landing? WTF is that all about? and why do I have to put my seat up if no one is behind me? I guess they are just doing what they are trained to do..and it's easiest not to make any exceptions...but it's still stupid. :)

I fly again this Saturday. I'll try to pay attention to when they say it. Gaaawd...just realize I have 3 round trip flights between now and Jan 1...

and they should have given him a warning...sit down and turn your phone off your else... Seem to have been a battle of egos..and I hold the customer LESS accountable during those.

I fly SW and every flight I've been on the plan is taxi'n when they say "turn off your electronic devices". I'm sure on this because this is when I put my phone on vibrate and turn it upside down on my lap until I turn it off right before we take off. :)

Side comments - Anyone ever have them tell you to close your window shades landing? WTF is that all about? and why do I have to put my seat up if no one is behind me? I guess they are just doing what they are trained to do..and it's easiest not to make any exceptions...but it's still stupid. :)

Aren't you supposed to put your seat up when the plane lands as a safety precaution?

and they should have given him a warning...sit down and turn your phone off your else... Seems to have been a battle of egos..and I hold the customer LESS accountable during those.

I fly SW and every flight I've been(that I can recall and I fly 15-20 times/yr) on the plane is taxi'n when they say "turn off your electronic devices". I'm sure on this because this is when I put my phone on vibrate and turn it upside down on my lap until I turn it off right before we take off. :)

I fly again this Saturday. I'll try to pay attention to when they say it. Gaaawd...just realize I have 3 round trip flights between now and Jan 1...

Hmmm... Maybe southwest is different, I normally fly Delta. I have always been told to shut down all electronics upon door closing, I figured it was to remove distractions so you can listen to the safety announcements...

He was told to shut his phone down, ignored that, then got up and loudly went into the lav, so loud the the flight crew heard him, and was swearing to the crew. If someone (anyone) gets up a locks themselves in a lav, and behaves in such a manner, when the plane is ready to go your gone IMO. The plane hadnt pushed back yet so booting him was, more than likely, quick and easy. I guess I side with the crew on this, they have an arrogant passenger who will not obey commands from the crew, he is now delaying the flight because playing some word game on his phone is more important than leaving, sorry Sir your gone....

I'm sure you see this kind of stuff a lot as well, it really gets my goat when i see the amount of crap flight crews have to put up with. I saw a dude verbally attack an attendant, because he thought her tone was wrong. All she did was ask if he could put one of his carry on's under the seat, and she ended up having to swallow her pride and apologize.. I've seen parents let their kids go nuts (this was a 15+ hour flight to Dubai) and when people complained the parents say "I cant control my kids" Nice real nice... Almost every international flight I take, I see spoiled little sh!ts behaving so badly it makes my head spin.... eyeswear2allthatsholy

As for the shade thing, I have been asked to put it up on landing, and on long flights, I have been asked to put it down to keep the cabin dark, so people can sleep/watch movies etc., also I've been asked to put it back down once we arrived, to keep the sun out and the cabin cool, this normally happened when I lived in warmer climates...

I hear ya on the flights I gotta go to Israel and back yet this year (again)... :ahhhhhhhh

Upon deeper reflection I guess I might be over sensitive to it... Although this class act used to be a co-worker of mine, so I think you might understand why...

http://consumerist.com/2008/02/drunk-passenger-gets-jail-time-has-to-reimburse-american-airlines-7757.html :blink:

Since 1991, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has banned the inflight use of 800 MHz cell phones because of potential interference with ground networks.

THAT'S still the reason? Interfere with ground networks? They're all CDMA these days (frequency hopping.) How could they interfere with ground networks? Sounds like baloney to me.

I think it's because the airlines want you to use the $10/minute skyphones they were trying to foist on us a few years back.

@canttakeit - so you can use it when you're taxiing after a landing, but not taxiing to take off? That is weird. I suppose, guessing, that they need more instruction from the tower taxiing toward takeoff?

@NUance - those 800 MHz phones are an older model, I believe. According to Wikipedia US standard is now 1900 MHz, presumably so we can fry our brains even more efficiently.

@canttakeit - so you can use it when you're taxiing after a landing, but not taxiing to take off? That is weird. I suppose, guessing, that they need more instruction from the tower taxiing toward takeoff?

@NUance - those 800 MHz phones are an older model, I believe. According to Wikipedia US standard is now 1900 MHz, presumably so we can fry our brains even more efficiently.

That is correct. I dont think the phones are the issue at that point. I think its to keep distractions away so you will pay attention to the safety info, and to have them shut down before you are on the runway, I agree you should not be using them when the safety stuff is being done. In the US you can make calls once you land, although overseas, and some overseas carriers like KLM, do not allow you to make calls until the doors are open, but that is changing as well...

From someone who occasionaly flies... for humanity's sake please keep the ban on in-plane cell phone use!!!