Pelini's Stats

For what it's worth, it's hard to take seriously the opinions of those who can't even take the time to spell out "for what it's worth".

fwiw, this is an internet forum, not a thesis. Snobbery like this just kinda makes you a d-bag (that is short for douchebag, fwiw)

• Fire 1

For what it's worth, it's hard to take seriously the opinions of those who can't even take the time to spell out "for what it's worth".

fwiw, this is an internet forum, not a thesis. Snobbery like this just kinda makes you a d-bag (that is short for douchebag, fwiw)

See, it's just hard to take that opinion seriously.

• Fire 1

It took Saban five years to win nine games at Michigan State. I will not compare our program to MSU in terms of historical and winning tradition, but our program was in shambles when Pelini took over. It took Saban a few years to get things rolling at LSU with markedly better athletes than what we currently have. What I am saying is that in his own right, Bo has been very successful in his first four seasons with Nebraska. He may very well never win a NC at Nebraska, but I think given the right talent and situation, he could.

To be fair, our coach walked into a situation with a fairly humming system on offense and a defense that included the likes of Suh, Prince, among others. The previous coach had lost control of the situation and his team, but the talent level here was not really in shambles.

Our team was in shambles. You are such a watsgrove and C******n defender.

Our offense humming???? Get the f#*k outta here. Our offense was TERRIBLE against anyone with a pulse.

Hey now, Callahan is not a swear word. Say it with me...Callahan. Callahan. Bill Callahan in Lincoln. Domo Arigato, Husker Fan.

Situation messed up =/= team in shambles. BC lost that team, but there was talent there. It's no different from how many people say Urban Meyer walked into a lot of talent with Zook's Florida teams. IIRC, they weren't exactly lighting it up when he arrived there, but he didn't walk into a slum of talent that he had to completely re-inject. Neither did Bo.

Also, geez! Calm down, man.

Here is the kicker, this is his 9th coached defense. Out of all 9 defenses he has coached 3 out of his 4 worst defenses have been at Nebraska. However, his best defense was also at Nebraska. Take it FWIW

2005 (LSU) 185 pts (14.2) 13 games - 2 losses

2006 (LSU) 164 pts (12.6) 13 games - 2 losses

2009 (Nebraska) 145 pts (10.4) 14 games - 4 losses

Hard to say what his best D was. Maybe 2005 or 2006 LSU. They played a lot more difficult sched than the 2009 Huskers. Then again, probably more talent on those LSU teams than NU 2009. So it's not like his defensive strategies or the schemes Pelini puts on the field have gotten worse. I don't know where I'm going wiht this...

NU's 2009 defense was his most talented. Try not to get blinded by the whole LSU mystique.

Look at all the NFL talent on NU's 2009 defense:

DE- Pierre Allen, Now in the NFL

DT- Ndamakong Suh- considered the top DT in the NFL and maybe the top college DT of the last 20 years

DT- Jared Crick - will be a first day draft pick, potential 1st round pick if injury heals up

DE- Barry Turner- been active for numerous NFL games

LB- Phillip Dillard- been active for numerous games with the Giant

S- Larry Asante- Tampa Bay Bucs

CB- Prince- 1st round pick with Giants

CB- Dennard- will be a 1st round pick

S- Eric Haag- Cleveland Browns

S- Dejon Gomes- Washington Redskins.

6 of those 11 starters are currently on NFL rosters. 8 of the 11 starters have been activated on NFL rosters this season. Next year, 10 of those 11 starters will be on or have been on NFL rosters.

NU's 2009 defense wasn't just Bo's most talented defense, it was one of the most talented defenses in Nebraska history. If NU had that defense this season, they would be playing the aforementioned LSU for the National title.

Yeah, you could say that "after" Bo arrived but to assume Clownahan would have developed those players if he would have stayed is wishful thinking at best, imo.

I'm not assuming this or making any argument like that. I don't know why you think I am! Some of those guys were going to be great regardless. But the team, it was not headed down a good path.

The cupboard was hardly bare when the mighty Clownahan took over either. L. Smith, A. Carricker, K. Mann, C. Ross, Z. Taylor, J. Ganz, C. Glenn, T. Peterson, B. Ruud, N, Swift, ect, ect.

Eh, you are naming quite a few guys that Callahan brought here. I mean you named Taylor and Ganz, those should be really obvious.

That team, though, had been gutted in depth by Solich's recruiting. There was some major defensive talent, but a lot of it left in 2003, if I recall. On offense, the talent level really was down, especially on the line. We had Porkchop for two years, but had to more or less rebuild that line. On top of that, it was a complete different and foreign system brought in on offense, meaning a re-start in several ways.

DT- Ndamakong Suh- considered the top DT in the NFL

Considered by who? He was All-Pro as a rookie (which is indeed impressive), but he's been mediocre as hell this season.

Ah, c'mon now...

It's obvious the NFL and ref's target Suh because he is a freak of nature and an immediate danger to all QB's. It's not at all because he plays with frustration and acts like a b**ch!

Considered by who? He was All-Pro as a rookie (which is indeed impressive), but he's been mediocre as hell this season.

Ah, c'mon now...

It's obvious the NFL and ref's target Suh because he is a freak of nature and an immediate danger to all QB's. It's not at all because he plays with frustration and acts like a b**ch!

Suh would have been great back in the 60's as a player. There was a lot of eye gouging and nutting going on back then in those pile ups. The players today are nothing more than overpaid sissys, thanks to the union.

You wouldn't think that might be because they are double teaming and even triple teaming him at times would you? I am not a genius, but I figure that opens up other team mates to do some damage, too.

A lot of former football players (Warren Sapp, Merril Hoge, etc.) have said that Suh is the best DT in the game right now. Yeah, he's had a down year, but that doesn't mean he isn't good.

Yeah, you could say that "after" Bo arrived but to assume Clownahan would have developed those players if he would have stayed is wishful thinking at best, imo.

I'm not assuming this or making any argument like that. I don't know why you think I am! Some of those guys were going to be great regardless. But the team, it was not headed down a good path.

The cupboard was hardly bare when the mighty Clownahan took over either. L. Smith, A. Carricker, K. Mann, C. Ross, Z. Taylor, J. Ganz, C. Glenn, T. Peterson, B. Ruud, N, Swift, ect, ect.

Eh, you are naming quite a few guys that Callahan brought here. I mean you named Taylor and Ganz, those should be really obvious.

That team, though, had been gutted in depth by Solich's recruiting. There was some major defensive talent, but a lot of it left in 2003, if I recall. On offense, the talent level really was down, especially on the line. We had Porkchop for two years, but had to more or less rebuild that line. On top of that, it was a complete different and foreign system brought in on offense, meaning a re-start in several ways.

You are correct. Frank killed the talent level here. Only the blind can't see that. Of that list only Mann, Smith, and Rudd were brought here by Frank. You are also correct that Bo did a great job of getting the most out of Callahan's players. Now we have to see if Bo can make it with his own players.

+1.

People are so quick to discredit Bo's success at Nebraska without any historical context. Yes... Saint Nick Saban has won two National Championships, but look at his record with the programs he has been at.

Michigan State (34-24-1)

1995: 6-5-1

1996: 6-6

1997: 7-5

1998: 6-6

1999: 9-2

LSU (48-16)

2000: 8-4

2001: 10-3

2002: 8-5

2003: 13-1

2004: 9-3

It took Saban five years to win nine games at Michigan State. I will not compare our program to MSU in terms of historical and winning tradition, but our program was in shambles when Pelini took over. It took Saban a few years to get things rolling at LSU with markedly better athletes than what we currently have. What I am saying is that in his own right, Bo has been very successful in his first four seasons with Nebraska. He may very well never win a NC at Nebraska, but I think given the right talent and situation, he could.

It also took Saban 10 years as a head coach to win a national title.

1-Toledo

5-Michigan State

4th year at LSU

Give Pelini some time to figure it out.