GOP raising our taxes. Happy holidays!

They might as well cut their losses on this issue. Allies are getting thin.

http://www.washingto...lly_i034238.php

Great article!

I'll sum it up for those of you that don't have time to read it.

Sen Bob Corker ® doesn't want there to be a payroll tax break. He knows he is an evil man because he is against it. After voting against it, now he thinks it should be passed by congress. Failing to pass the bill in not popular with masses, so Republicans should just do it.

You post graph after graph on Bush era tax cuts being the reason we have debt problems and now you are complaining about the payroll tax cut. Which side do you want to be on?

Payroll tax cut for 160 million Americans was going to be payed for by upping some taxes on people earning over $1million a year. So it was payed for, hence not increasing the debt, only the GOP refused to play ball unless they could find other ways to hurt the poor, and give another helping hand the those who have the most already.

I absolutely can't stand listening to Rush or Hannity. The 'Republican' good 'Democratic' bad banter drives me crazy. It drives me equally as crazy when it is the other way around.

The thing that I find most intriguing about this issue is how difficult it is to find any relevant information as to why the Republicans wouldn't vote for this. Is it because there isn't any, or is it because it is not being reported? Like most things, it is probably somewhere in the middle.

In the era of constant political posturing, I think the Democrats have won again by doing nothing other than waiting until the last minute. Score another one for President David Axelrod. There is no sarcasm in what I am about to say. I think it is brilliant the position the Democrats have put themselves in. They really can't lose. By passing the two month extension, which some feel can't even be done (HERE), nothing gets addressed. This has been pushed to the deadline and now the cameras are there in full force to cover the Republican failure.

People in this forum want to nit pick what was in the House passed 1 year extension, but don't appear to have the same vigor for the two month extension. Why not pass it for a year? Is it really that unreasonable to say make a decision in the next two months on the Keystone XL project? Is instituting a payroll freeze for federal workers a horrid idea? Shouldn't we really look at unemployment benefits over the next three years? The two month extension just means that this would have to be done again in February. Muda my friends...Muda. These are all controversial things that NEED to happen.

At some point you have to draw a line in the sand. I don't know whether this is right issue or not, but it appears this may be a catalyst.

I absolutely can't stand listening to Rush or Hannity. The 'Republican' good 'Democratic' bad banter drives me crazy. It drives me equally as crazy when it is the other way around.

The thing that I find most intriguing about this issue is how difficult it is to find any relevant information as to why the Republicans wouldn't vote for this. Is it because there isn't any, or is it because it is not being reported? Like most things, it is probably somewhere in the middle.

In the era of constant political posturing, I think the Democrats have won again by doing nothing other than waiting until the last minute. Score another one for President David Axelrod. There is no sarcasm in what I am about to say. I think it is brilliant the position the Democrats have put themselves in. They really can't lose. By passing the two month extension, which some feel can't even be done (HERE), nothing gets addressed. This has been pushed to the deadline and now the cameras are there in full force to cover the Republican failure.

People in this forum want to nit pick what was in the House passed 1 year extension, but don't appear to have the same vigor for the two month extension. Why not pass it for a year? Is it really that unreasonable to say make a decision in the next two months on the Keystone XL project? Is instituting a payroll freeze for federal workers a horrid idea? Shouldn't we really look at unemployment benefits over the next three years? The two month extension just means that this would have to be done again in February. Muda my friends...Muda. These are all controversial things that NEED to happen.

At some point you have to draw a line in the sand. I don't know whether this is right issue or not, but it appears this may be a catalyst.

Wrong issue at the wrong time. The republicans have had it in the press, they had Boehner and Cantor speak to the press last weekend, it seemed to boil down to they wanted to "pass it" for a year (and probably attach more stuff to it, lord knows neither side of congress can get over that) except, the senate went home. So now they are beating the "we'll were here ready to work" drum, except the members of their own party are telling them the "work" was already done. So for all intents and purposes it comes off as the house republicans throwing a temper tantrum that's going to directly affect 160 million people's paychecks come next year.

Just a flat out bad time (christmas news cycle) for a completely moronic battle to pick as a republican.

You post graph after graph on Bush era tax cuts being the reason we have debt problems and now you are complaining about the payroll tax cut. Which side do you want to be on?

Payroll tax cut for 160 million Americans was going to be payed for by upping some taxes on people earning over $1million a year. So it was payed for, hence not increasing the debt, only the GOP refused to play ball unless they could find other ways to hurt the poor, and give another helping hand the those who have the most already.

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The proposed extension from the Senate only lasts for two months. It solves nothing. No one is voting to raise taxes. They are not voting in the hopes of getting a conference going between the Senate and House to finalize something. The Senate went home.

Instead, the House approved a separate resolution supporting a yearlong extension of both the payroll tax cut and emergency federal unemployment benefits. House Republicans are also pushing for a new, two-year "doc fix," or delay in significant scheduled pay cuts to Medicare physicians.

http://www.cnn.com/2...-cut/index.html

But hell, that's sure a nice sound bite. Doesn't everyone just love politics?

But you realize that the reason why we are at a temporary 2 month extension is because a 1 year extension was already blocked by Senate Republicans . . . twice . . . right?

The GOP just don't know how to get their message out so the dems who are great at propaganda are making points. First it is going to cost us alot more if they sign this bill because it extends unemployment benefits also. I think it might have passed the house if it was just about the payroll tax. This bill will cost the taxpayers a QUARTER OF A TRILLION DOLLARS (that is nuts). I think the house should compromise and go for less months of a payroll tax but they can't extend unemployment much more than it is today. :wasted

No, it doesn't actually cost taxpayers anything. Federal tax dollars do not fund the federal government. The money required to extend the tax cut and unemployment benefits is just money that's added to the money supply, is easily "afforded".

Furthermore, contractionary policy only serves to shrink the economy and slow growth. Extending unemployment and the tax cut is a good thing.

Although I think the payroll holiday is extremely damaging to the government's ability to fund Social Security and Medicare (i.e. the largest source of deficit spending), it's hard to figure out who's running the house Republican PR. This is the same group that fought bitterly to extend the Bush tax rates and passed the Ryan budget that cut the top marginal tax rate in half and capital gains rates to zero. Every partisan victory seems to come at a staggeringly high price in the long term.

Carlfense

I have heard bits and pieces but I do not know what is in the WHOLE bill. I do not know what happened before this compromise between pub & dem senators. I have two little ones and as soon as I get home I am with them and then we eat and play some more and then I bathe them, get them ready for bed, read them stories and put them to sleep, when that is done I have to clean the house that we wrecked while playing. Then I go to bed, so there are days, sometimes even weeks where I see very little news. So please bear with me if I am asking a few questions!! :wasted

The GOP just don't know how to get their message out so the dems who are great at propaganda are making points. First it is going to cost us alot more if they sign this bill because it extends unemployment benefits also. I think it might have passed the house if it was just about the payroll tax. This bill will cost the taxpayers a QUARTER OF A TRILLION DOLLARS (that is nuts). I think the house should compromise and go for less months of a payroll tax but they can't extend unemployment much more than it is today. :wasted

No, it doesn't actually cost taxpayers anything. Federal tax dollars do not fund the federal government. The money required to extend the tax cut and unemployment benefits is just money that's added to the money supply, is easily "afforded".

Furthermore, contractionary policy only serves to shrink the economy and slow growth. Extending unemployment and the tax cut is a good thing.

Tax cuts for the middle class may be a good thing but extending unemployment is not IMO. That is money we have to borrow and can't afford. Unemployment compensation is now at 97 weeks I believe, that is almost two years!! eyeswear2allthatsholy

So it's a done deal?

Not quite. Rather telling that the Republican Party finally found a tax cut that they don't like . . . one that benefits the middle class.

As soon as a tax break would help the middle class, the Republicans do a 180 degree turn and have started to like taxes.

Wrong, they want to extend them for a year not two months. You do the math and see who wants to give the

tax payers more of a tax break? :ahhhhhhhh

Although I think the payroll holiday is extremely damaging to the government's ability to fund Social Security and Medicare (i.e. the largest source of deficit spending), it's hard to figure out who's running the house Republican PR. This is the same group that fought bitterly to extend the Bush tax rates and passed the Ryan budget that cut the top marginal tax rate in half and capital gains rates to zero. Every partisan victory seems to come at a staggeringly high price in the long term.

The capital gains tax should be lower. You have people risking their money and they sometimes make money but they can lose it all too. You understand risk/reward don't you? They are risking their money and then when they make some you want to take it. If they put their money in a savings account and got 1% you wouldn't be clamoring to raise their taxes on the interest gained would you? They take a chance and if they do you want to penalize them for their hard work, that is insane!! You penalize the hard worker to give it to others who may be doing nothing to better themselves!! :ahhhhhhhh

The Republicans seem to have absolutely no ability to pick their battles.

When half of a legislative body only sees things in absolutes, everything becomes a battle.

And the committee suggestion by Boehner is merely a stall tactic in all of this--this tool, common during the Reagan, Bush Sr., and Clinton administrations, would be beneficial. It fell out of use during the W. Admin, and is only being brought up now as a way to sideline the bill.

The capital gains tax should be lower. You have people risking their money and they sometimes make money but they can lose it all too. You understand risk/reward don't you? They are risking their money and then when they make some you want to take it. If they put their money in a savings account and got 1% you wouldn't be clamoring to raise their taxes on the interest gained would you? They take a chance and if they do you want to penalize them for their hard work, that is insane!! You penalize the hard worker to give it to others who may be doing nothing to better themselves!! :ahhhhhhhh

History says that is incorrect--Capital Gains tax was significantly higher during the 80s and early 90s, and investment activity levels are on par with today's volumes.

Additionally, CNBC covered this topic the other day and a little this AM. Lowering Capital Gains tax was a tactic used to spur entrepreneurship and investment, but the unintended consequences are that it drove investors to the sidelines, as they didn't want to get involved now and have the taxes go back up to 1980/early 1990 levels.

Again, you have the most important investor in the world (a Nebraskan, no less), calling for the taxes to be raised on Capital Gains and overall income for the 1%. I do believe he would be in a better position than you to speak on this issue.

Not according to the chief actuary of Social Security:

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/solvency/RCasey_20111206.pdf

So it's a done deal?

Not quite. Rather telling that the Republican Party finally found a tax cut that they don't like . . . one that benefits the middle class.

As soon as a tax break would help the middle class, the Republicans do a 180 degree turn and have started to like taxes.

Wrong, they want to extend them for a year not two months. You do the math and see who wants to give the

tax payers more of a tax break? :ahhhhhhhh

Not true. They twice opposed a 1 year extension. This is a matter of public record . . . not to mention that this was just a few short weeks ago.

Now the House GOP has even lost the support of the Senate GOP. Extraordinary times we live in. It's just a matter of time before the American public experiences a prolonged bout of buyers remorse over the new crop of Tea Party extremists in the House.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_12/mcconnell_sides_with_dems_over034264.php