Team Jack, Captain Rex, Two Caring Fathers

HuskerMack

The character that Bo displayed in meeting these parents is why Bo Pelini is a good football coach-no a GREAT football coach. I've grown so tired of hearing him bashed by some of the folks on this board. Yes, they are certainly entitled to their opinions, however, I hope that they will take the time to read this piece. Bo not only coaches athletes up to be better athletes, he also coaches them up to be men. Men of character. Now there may be 'splash hire' coaches that could come in and win the conference championship their first year-even the National Championship, who knows! But how many of them can make sure that this athlete can not only learn to play the game of football at a higher level but also, become an academic athlete but most importantly become a man of character. Those coaches are rare-we have one of them. GBR!

I am sorry Ladyhawke, Bo did a very good thing, but in honesty 99.9% of all coaches would have done the same thing. A great effort to help is what coaching is about. There is very little difference between Bo and the rest of the coaches in this situation. I admire your loyalty, but this is something that pretty much anyone would have done in honesty.

Good for Bo and Rex for doing it though.

You can go on pretty much any board and read the same type of thing. Which is a good thing.

I am sorry Ladyhawke, Bo did a very good thing, but in honesty 99.9% of all coaches would have done the same thing. A great effort to help is what coaching is about. There is very little difference between Bo and the rest of the coaches in this situation. I admire your loyalty, but this is something that pretty much anyone would have done in honesty.

Good for Bo and Rex for doing it though.

You can go on pretty much any board and read the same type of thing. Which is a good thing.

I also saw this same quality after the Penn State game. Bo rarely shows this side of himself. That kind of vulnerability, where he goes outside of his coach's role and is just a Dad. I get where you're coming from and you're right, I'm sure the rest of the coaches would do the same thing. It's just nice to see this from time to time from Bo.

In sharing what you did, do you think that Bo is not interested in the character of his players? Do you think that he's only interested in them as players/athletes (just curious). I will admit I am a very sentimental person. I'm a mom and I really love kids. (I work in an elementary school. I hope that Jack completely recovers from his cancer!) I also admire Bo. Yeah, he's made some mistakes but he's also done some really good things for NU. I particularly feel badly for Bo these past few weeks, given all the crap that's been shoveled on him by some on this board. The things that some of those people said were just so angry! Have your opinion-that's fine but to equate Bo with a couple of the most horrible people in the history of the world was just too much. I think that individual should be banned from the board for saying such a horrible thing!

Anyway, I appreciate your sharing. I probably sounded very naive but my intentions were good. I want to support our team any way I can. GBR :)

• Fire 1

I have stated in an earlier post that I thought he had raised the standards at Nebraska, even above those of Tom. That is a major compliment as far as I am concerned. I think Bo is good person, a much better person than I gave him credit for when he was hired. I have seen many things that he does that brings a smile to my face. Some things that make me scratch my head.

I get far more upset with the people on this site than I do with Bo. We all have ideas of what we expect from out coach. Some more than others I guess. Still think he is doing a good job overall, but needs help. I hope the new hires fill that need quickly. I doubt that they will and Bo will end up being the HC OC and DC. Leaving someone to be the RC and I feel that is a very important part that Bo does not take as seriously as he should. But I do not go on recruiting trips, in honesty I have no idea how good he is or how much he puts into, but I do feel we should be getting better recruits. I really do not like Saben much, but he states over and over and over that recruiting is job one for the Head Coach/Program. Every single day, 365 days a year it is the number one priority. He says you are in a fish bowl and you should always be recruiting. Being an old Marine recruiter I know the hardships of the competition and the possiblity that your product does not offer what is looked for.

Recruiting is just sales, nothing more. Being where we are and what we have to offer the field we have to work harder, just like a Marine Recruiter does. But you have to ask for the sale. It seems we let them drag on and on. But again I am not there.

I have been involved with coaching for many years, World Class athletes, Olympic athletes, and understand how hard th job is. That is why I think he needed the help from outside.

I will support his hires, but as stated elsewhere it is a business, a big buck business, and our leadership is green to say the least.

I'm sure you're right. I hope that his new hires help him in the area of recruiting and also relating to the press. That can be a really difficult job. Some people are just not very comfortable 'under the lights'. However, I think Bo has grown some in that area. I wish we could see more of the side of Bo that we saw after the Penn State game. He was just so real...so honest. Beck and JP seem to be more at ease with the press than Bo is so maybe they can help there.

I guess Coach Kaz is a good recruiter so between he and JP (who is also very good in this area) they can get some more players. The one good thing I read was that we don't really recruit much in the B1G area rather we go down south, go to Texas, Florida, more of the Midwest. Hopefully, we'll get some good players this time around. We got quite a few really good guys last year so hopefully we can follow that up this year. I sure hope so. :) (P.S. Thank you for serving our country. )