New DC announced: John Papuchis; new DL coach Rick Kaczenski

hskerholic

To me it shows the limited number of connections Bo has if he only feels comfortable hiring guys he grew up with or knows through his high school.

JP, Els, Raymond, Garrison, Fischer have no connections to Youngstown.

Dobson too.

You guys do realize it was a joke by Sam Mckewon when he tied Katz back to Youngstown, right? He said his dad was born there but it has no bearing on this hire what so ever. Katz grew up in Pennsylvania. I think he was even born there if I'm not mistaken. Bo didn't know him from any previous stops. He was impressed with him last year when he interviewed him and almost hired him at that time.

I know, but I never implied Kaz had any Youngstown connection to Bo. It was Dobson who recommended Kaz since they worked together at Iowa.

To me it shows the limited number of connections Bo has if he only feels comfortable hiring guys he grew up with or knows through his high school.

Dobson too.

You guys do realize it was a joke by Sam Mckewon when he tied Katz back to Youngstown, right? He said his dad was born there but it has no bearing on this hire what so ever. Katz grew up in Pennsylvania. I think he was even born there if I'm not mistaken. Bo didn't know him from any previous stops. He was impressed with him last year when he interviewed him and almost hired him at that time.

I must have missed the info on interviewing him last year. Please elaborate................

Dobson too.

I must have missed the info on interviewing him last year. Please elaborate................

He was a considered last year when we had several spots open. We picked other guys but Bo put him on the short list knowing that it was likely that Carl would be gone in the next two years or if JP didn't want to wait around to become DC here.

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

Bo is a defensive coordinator, trapped in a HC job.......apparently with little incentive to grow into a real HC.......

:facepalm:

You guys bad mouthing Bo. How can you call yourself fans. You guys shouldnt be on these boards. You guys are what brings Nebraska down. Think and say positve and good things happen.

Run a thought experiment for me. Return in your mind to the ancient year of 2007 and imagine posting this exact sentiment with one minor alteration. Change "Bo" to "Cosgrove."

Thinking and saying positive things has nothing to do with whether or not good things actually happen. We have two trainee coordinators backing up a young head coach. It's fair to say that wish thinking has become something of a staple of the Nebraska program these days. Like, for instance, I hope my under qualified coordinators can actually be coordinators. Normally at major programs you avoid this terrifying question by simply hiring coordinators with proven track records either at a lower level, the D-1 level, or the NFL level. But hey, we're the luckiest guys in Las Vegas. If we just think good thoughts, wish upon a star, and join in a rousing chorus of "I believe I can fly," our coordinators will suddenly be infused with the years of experience that most major programs can boast.

Or something like that.

Here's the thing. The best the Orson Welles clappers can do for Pap right now is fix their ties, look you straight in the face, and say, "Well, he might not suck." That's really it. The rest is blind speculation and a silent prayer that Bo takes over the defense again. Because they can't say with any level of certainty that Pap is a great hire based on his record. There is no record. There's always the chance it works out. There's always the chance it doesn't.

But hey, here's hoping.

You guys bad mouthing Bo. How can you call yourself fans. You guys shouldnt be on these boards. You guys are what brings Nebraska down. Think and say positve and good things happen.
I think it's fine for people to have criticism but they should be able to state why they feel that way and base it on actual facts. Too many people just complain and make general stereotypical claims that have no basis in reality or they take things out of context and don't examine the body of work as a whole. Thats if they even give a reason. I guess I'd respect them more if they'd just say I don't like him for x reason instead of trying to twist facts and present a dishonest argument. I can list four or five things I'd like Bo to do better and i don't think that makes me a bad fan. In total he's done a good job. It's very hard to argue he hasn't done some great things.
  • Fire 2

See this is a good example. Here you state Cosgrove. He's and example of an experienced BCS level DC not working out at NU. I don't think you know if these guys are under qualified or not. Last year a very under qualified high school coach turned OC won a national championship. Stating most schools grab NFL guys or experienced lower level coordinators isn't true. And even if they do it doesn't give them a greater chance of success.

Run a thought experiment for me. Return in your mind to the ancient year of 2007 and imagine posting this exact sentiment with one minor alteration. Change "Bo" to "Cosgrove."

Thinking and saying positive things has nothing to do with whether or not good things actually happen. We have two trainee coordinators backing up a young head coach. It's fair to say that wish thinking has become something of a staple of the Nebraska program these days. Like, for instance, I hope my under qualified coordinators can actually be coordinators. Normally at major programs you avoid this terrifying question by simply hiring coordinators with proven track records either at a lower level, the D-1 level, or the NFL level. But hey, we're the luckiest guys in Las Vegas. If we just think good thoughts, wish upon a star, and join in a rousing chorus of "I believe I can fly," our coordinators will suddenly be infused with the years of experience that most major programs can boast.

Or something like that.

Here's the thing. The best the Orson Welles clappers can do for Pap right now is fix their ties, look you straight in the face, and say, "Well, he might not suck." That's really it. The rest is blind speculation and a silent prayer that Bo takes over the defense again. Because they can't say with any level of certainty that Pap is a great hire based on his record. There is no record. There's always the chance it works out. There's always the chance it doesn't.

But hey, here's hoping.

Or something like that.

But hey, here's hoping.

I have zero problem with Bo not going the usual "proven" route. Did you watch N. Chow with UCLA? Hawkins with Colorado? "Superbowl" Callahan with Nebraska? I could go on forever......total and complete disaster hires with "proven" resumes.

It's Bo's call and I'm good with it. Just because you imply they're unqualified doesn't make it true or factual whatsoever. I just wish upon a star Bo continues to trust his own decisions. It's the only way to go.

GBR!!

• Fire 1

See this is a good example. Here you state Cosgrove. He's and example of an experienced BCS level DC not working out at NU. I don't think you know if these guys are under qualified or not. Last year a very under qualified high school coach turned OC won a national championship. Stating most schools grab NFL guys or experienced lower level coordinators isn't true. And even if they do it doesn't give them a greater chance of success.

Or something like that.

But hey, here's hoping.

Cosgrove was a failure and his mediocrity was well documented. The idea that thinking positive somehow bends reality is ridiculous. The idea that a track record of success doesn't guarantee success is a non-point. Of course it doesn't. What it does is increase the odds of it happening, all other factors being equal. I'm a fan of playing the odds. Experienced, seasoned, successful coordinators tend to succeed at coordinating.

I have zero problem with Bo not going the usual "proven" route. Did you watch N. Chow with UCLA? Hawkins with Colorado? "Superbowl" Callahan with Nebraska? I could go on forever......total and complete disaster hires with "proven" resumes.

It's Bo's call and I'm good with it. Just because you imply they're unqualified doesn't make it true or factual whatsoever. I just wish upon a star Bo continues to trust his own decisions. It's the only way to go.

GBR!!

You don't have to wish. The record already bore it out. Bo's record of hiring makes it a hair short of an absolute certainty that if he ever has the opportunity to hire again, he will do so in a similar fashion to what we've seen since he became a coach. You're good with it? Great. Hope it works out.

My whole point was I am tired of the negative comments.

Which is fair. I'm not a fan of the Pap hire, but I'm certainly willing to give the guy a fair shake and I will be the first to give him his props if it works out. But it would be dishonest of me (and I think anyone, really) to express a high level of comfort with a second year offensive coordinator, a first year defensive coordinator, and a fifth year head coach heading into a season when we're losing Lavonte David and Alfonzo Dennard after the lackluster defensive season we had this year. Call me crazy.

Or something like that.

But hey, here's hoping.

Well said, the blind faith in an unproven HC hiring two under qualified coordinators is a recipe for disaster. Bo has been fortunate with being given some good talent to start off with, but lets see how it goes in year 5 when it's all his kids. Bo did well with Callahan's players, very possibly better than Callahan would have. But recruiting hasn't been at the level it needs to be. That's why I think this move will lead to Bo getting shown the door in two years. Or maybe TO will find him a job so they don't have to fire him like they did Carl.

And to the kid that you quoted......what are you 12 years old? Because that is what you sound like..... If we don't say all rosy things about Bo we are not fans? Please grow the F up!