New DC announced: John Papuchis; new DL coach Rick Kaczenski

hskerholic

Well, I'm glad the waiting game is finally over for everyone. Not that they announced anything that everybody didn't already know long ago. We definitely all knew that Papuchis was getting the DC job. I'm not sure what to make of this Kaczenski guy yet. We will surely find out about the coaching ability of both Pap and Kac soon.

I can't say I am overly excited or impressed with either hire. I just really hope it works out in the end. Unfortunately I must say this. As long as Bo continues to hire "first time" coordinators and young and inexperienced coaches at almost every level we will all be along for the ride as these guys learn the ins and outs of the job. We have watched Bo for 4 years now as he tries to grow into his own role. He still has a lot of learning to do. With a young inexperienced Head Coach and a young inexperienced staff time will tell if the athletic department and the state of Nebraska have the patience to allow things to develop.

I think I already know the answer to that.

it's almost as if he is afraid to hire someone who might know more than him.......it's always a relief when you look around the room and quickly notice you are the smartest guy there...

Well, I'm glad the waiting game is finally over for everyone. Not that they announced anything that everybody didn't already know long ago. We definitely all knew that Papuchis was getting the DC job. I'm not sure what to make of this Kaczenski guy yet. We will surely find out about the coaching ability of both Pap and Kac soon.

I can't say I am overly excited or impressed with either hire. I just really hope it works out in the end. Unfortunately I must say this. As long as Bo continues to hire "first time" coordinators and young and inexperienced coaches at almost every level we will all be along for the ride as these guys learn the ins and outs of the job. We have watched Bo for 4 years now as he tries to grow into his own role. He still has a lot of learning to do. With a young inexperienced Head Coach and a young inexperienced staff time will tell if the athletic department and the state of Nebraska have the patience to allow things to develop.

I think I already know the answer to that.

it's almost as if he is afraid to hire someone who might know more than him.......it's always a relief when you look around the room and quickly notice you are the smartest guy there...

He doesn't need to hire anyone that knows more than him. What's the point? He needed to bring a recruiter and hopefully Mike Krzyzewksi is the guy. We need some 7 footers that can dunk.

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

Bo is a defensive coordinator, trapped in a HC job.......apparently with little incentive to grow into a real HC.......

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

Bo is a defensive coordinator, trapped in a HC job.......apparently with little incentive to grow into a real HC.......

As far as I'm concerned a 'real HC' is someone that wins. I want Bo calling the defense. Money is really irrelevant. Shawn Watson would be making huge cash had he gone to Alabama a few years ago. Does that mean he is any better of a coach?....I'll let the board decide. NCAA is littered with grossly overpaid coaches.

Bring in John Krasinski, throw a couple more $$ pooches, Bo takes back the reins on the defense and continue to let Beck do his thing.

Zoogies,

As far as I'm concerned a 'real HC' is someone that wins. I want Bo calling the defense. Money is really irrelevant. Shawn Watson would be making huge cash had he gone to Alabama a few years ago. Does that mean he is any better of a coach?....I'll let the board decide. NCAA is littered with grossly overpaid coaches.

Bring in John Krasinski, throw a couple more $$ pooches, Bo takes back the reins on the defense and continue to let Beck do his thing.

:lol: @ John Krasinski. He's gonna be a heckuva DL coach at Nebraska.

tumblr_lk282rHUS51qaggjuo1_500.gif

Coach Kaz's father is from Youngstown, color me not surprised.

Now we know the truth! Lately if you don't have a Y-town (Cardinal Mooney) connection you won't get hired onto this staff. If a man from Youngstown wants to coach he just needs to put his shingle out and either Stoops or Pelini's will hire them. Nepotism at it's finest.

What a failure, We went from bad, to worse yet again. Tell me we didn't bring the D-Line coach from one of the few teams we were able to move the ball on. Wow Bo must really be POed he was overlooked in 03, he's doing everything he can to turn us into the Youngstown Fighting Irish

Now we know the truth! Lately if you don't have a Y-town (Cardinal Mooney) connection you won't get hired onto this staff. If a man from Youngstown wants to coach he just needs to put his shingle out and either Stoops or Pelini's will hire them. Nepotism at it's finest.

What a failure, We went from bad, to worse yet again. Tell me we didn't bring the D-Line coach from one of the few teams we were able to move the ball on. Wow Bo must really be POed he was overlooked in 03, he's doing everything he can to turn us into the Youngstown Fighting Irish

Would it be better to bring in people the coach knows who have similar backgrounds and similar philosophies? Or random strangers listed in some internet message board thread because they are touted by the media? As for the Youngstown mafia, I could think of worse places to have a football connect with than Youngstown.

Would it be better to bring in people the coach knows who have similar backgrounds and similar philosophies? Or random strangers listed in some internet message board thread because they are touted by the media? As for the Youngstown mafia, I could think of worse places to have a football connect with than Youngstown.

Whys that? Because they are touted by the Media?

Zoogies,

Those guys get paid like that because they get results. Bo was lucky to even get the job in the first place, let alone expect to be paid like one of the top coaches in CFB, in which he's not. I don't think money is a factor unless it comes from TO himself. NU has the boosters to pay for anyone we want. Hell, we are grossly overpaying Bo right now if you are just looking at on the field success.

I totally agree with you on your last paragraph. Without improved recruiting, Bo will be gone in two years as UM takes control of the division and we continue to regress as a second tier B1G program. And hiring a guy who is known for "finding sleepers" from Florida that usually don't wake up isn't an improvement in the recruiting department. We had a huge opportunity and whiffed.

Zoogies,

Those guys get paid like that because they get results. Bo was lucky to even get the job in the first place, let alone expect to be paid like one of the top coaches in CFB, in which he's not. I don't think money is a factor unless it comes from TO himself. NU has the boosters to pay for anyone we want. Hell, we are grossly overpaying Bo right now if you are just looking at on the field success.

I totally agree with you on your last paragraph. Without improved recruiting, Bo will be gone in two years as UM takes control of the division and we continue to regress as a second tier B1G program. And hiring a guy who is known for "finding sleepers" from Florida that usually don't wake up isn't an improvement in the recruiting department. We had a huge opportunity and whiffed.

Bingo! Im feeling queezy

Whys that? Because they are touted by the Media?

So now you’re saying Kaczenski—the guy with the Youngstown connection—is touted by the media? That doesn’t even make sense.