Ken Burns - Prohibition

While I loved the show, it seems as if Burns (the lifelong Dem) is so close to the situation he misses the obvious..............................Overwhelming government intervention in our private lives. The encroachment of the "nanny state" that so many believe is necessary to enable we poor peons to function...............

While I loved the show, it seems as if Burns (the lifelong Dem) is so close to the situation he misses the obvious..............................Overwhelming government intervention in our private lives. The encroachment of the "nanny state" that so many believe is necessary to enable we poor peons to function...............

The government did manage to self-correct.

An equally compelling argument could be made for prohibition being the result of overreach by Christian groups attempting to legislate morality. (With interesting parallels to the modern day.)

Many facets. Interesting stuff.

An equally compelling argument could be made for prohibition being the result of overreach by Christian groups attempting to legislate morality. (With interesting parallels to the modern day.)

Agreed.....................although the lure of funding the government via alcohol taxes surely played a "minor" role in self-correction................

Agreed.....................although the lure of funding the government via alcohol taxes surely played a "minor" role in self-correction................

Absolutely. I think that's one of the stronger arguments for the the pro-marijuana legalization crowd. Save billions in enforcement costs and raise significant amounts of money through taxing sales.

Absolutely. I think that's one of the stronger arguments for the the pro-marijuana legalization crowd. Save billions in enforcement costs and raise significant amounts of money through taxing sales.

Great interview... I really like that he takes grants from the gov then PAYS IT BACK once he gets money... I am on the fence with fed support of the "arts", if more people were like this I would be a little more supportive of it...

Great interview... I really like that he takes grants from the gov then PAYS IT BACK once he gets money... I am on the fence with fed support of the "arts", if more people were like this I would be a little more supportive of it...

Agree again. Fed support of the "ARTS" is much more of a hot button issue now that the definition of ART seems to expand into anything anyone can regurgitate. And even though I'm aware there is no universal standard, I'm much more comfortable supporting something tangible like Burn's work than just any off-beat idea that any weirdo can throw against the wall, get government bucks for it, and then rationalize it because most "regular" Americans aren't smart enough to discern "real" ART. Such as a crucifix in a jar of urine.

Agreed on both points.

I wonder, though, if the status of a government grant impacts ownership of the documentary in any way, both before and after paying it back.