Alshon Jeffery

Punk? That's the last word I would use to describe Dennard. Calling him a punk because he lost his mind on one play is pretty foolish.

I've been thinking about this since it happened. To me Dennard looked frustrated and lashed out. BUT, I don't put that on Dennard. I'll put it on Pelini. And if you Nebraska fans think about it for a little bit, you'll know I'm right. It comes back to discipline. I look at Pelini's demeanor on the sideline yesterday, and I see that reflected in that one play. I'm not saying spunk and fire aren't needed in the game, but you also need to keep you head about you and as you said, Dennard lost his mind for one play...

Edit: and to the OP, right or wrong about the conclusions, coming into the other sides house and spouting off the day their team had a tuff game and the fanbase is in "meltdown" mode, isn't the best move. Let is sit for a few days and bring it up more gently. I'm not much for gloating by rubbing something in the otherside's face. Sic transit gloria mundi. (All glory is fleeting.)

• Fire 1

Absolute rubbish. Dennard instigated it all and absolutely mobbed Jeffery with no call of course. If you watch the fight video clearly Dennard was all over him and even threw an uppercut to the chin under the helmet before Jeffery turned and pushed him and once again Dennard threw another punch. Jeffery DID deserve MVP and he should of never been ejected, however the punk Dennard deserved everything he got.

Punk? That's the last word I would use to describe Dennard. Calling him a punk because he lost his mind on one play is pretty foolish.

What exactly would you call throwing punches at an opposing player then hmm? I call that pretty "punkish" myself. Dennard got what he deserved and he was just pissy that he wasn't shutting down Jeffery period and it got the best of him. Total punk move.

Absolute rubbish. Dennard instigated it all and absolutely mobbed Jeffery with no call of course. If you watch the fight video clearly Dennard was all over him and even threw an uppercut to the chin under the helmet before Jeffery turned and pushed him and once again Dennard threw another punch. Jeffery DID deserve MVP and he should of never been ejected, however the punk Dennard deserved everything he got.

What exactly would you call throwing punches at an opposing player then hmm? I call that pretty "punkish" myself. Dennard got what he deserved and he was just pissy that he wasn't shutting down Jeffery period and it got the best of him. Total punk move.

They were both going at it. If you call Dennard a "punk" then you give that label to Jeffrey as well.

I'll agree that Dennard acted foolishly and embarrassed himself. That doesn't take away everything he did in his career. Overreacting in a butthurt fashion after a loss isn't a great way to view a player who's been all-conference two years in a row.

I think a more telling action than anything else was Dennard refusing to leave the sideline when they got booted, compared to Jeffery leaving right away. He was risking a 2nd penalty by being out there, and didn't seem to care. It was only when ESPN put his presence on the TV and jumbotron did he final leave.

But again, to me that falls back on the coaches, not the players...

i'm really not too upset at either player regarding the fight. yes, it was unnecessary, but i would not call it cheap or thuggish. it was just two players playing with incredible intensity and emotion and they eventually let their emotion get the better of themselves. fonzie should not have thrown a punch (i never understood this, i mean the other guy has a helmet on) but i do not blame him because jeffery was holding him by the facemask. again, it was stupid, not shameful.

I think a more telling action than anything else was Dennard refusing to leave the sideline when they got booted, compared to Jeffery leaving right away. He was risking a 2nd penalty by being out there, and didn't seem to care. It was only when ESPN put his presence on the TV and jumbotron did he final leave.

You know nothing about Dennard. Basing an opinion on this game is errant.

I understand your support for him, but look at it from an outsider's point of view. My take on the whole deal pretty much falls inline with what Sd'husker said above. That being said, this was my first look at the guy, and this is what I'll always remember him by. Now I'm one guy, part of one fanbase, but Dennard will always be the guy that got into a fight with Alshon to me.

I'll contrast that with Burkhead, who really impressed me. Growing up in the south, we got to watch Atlanta and Washington on Sunday's. As I was watching that game yesterday, Burkhead reminded me of the great John Riggins. Big ole white boy with TONS of power and just enough speed. I'm gald we don't have to play him again anytime soon. He kept his head, played well, and I'll be a fan of his at the next level.

The point I'm making here is that no matter how good you play, you can mess it up in a single moment. As I said above, this is something I'll put on the Nebraska coaching staff. They should have seen Dennard's frustration with the situation and COACHED him to how well he actually was doing (all of the sacks yesterday were basically coverage sacks, that's a plus for NEB (vs a mobile QB)), and helped him keep his head in the game. They also should have gotten him a little safety help to take a bit of the pressure off.

But that's all in the past and fodder for discussion boards and talk radio now...

Multiple Husker fans who are active on this site came to cockytalk and said "who is this alshon guy?" or "it doesn't matter who your wr is- pelini will not double cover, he will line up man to man and shut him down like he does everyone". That's leaving out the more indepth insults from the lunatics who probably are banned from this site. Crow to be eaten. And stop being in denial.

Multiple Husker fans who are active on this site came to cockytalk and said "who is this alshon guy?" or "it doesn't matter who your wr is- pelini will not double cover, he will line up man to man and shut him down like he does everyone". That's leaving out the more indepth insults from the lunatics who probably are banned from this site. Crow to be eaten. And stop being in denial.

I'll eat my share of crow. I said, on Cocky Talk, that Dennard would be able to shut down Alshon. I was wrong. You got me.

I understand your support for him, but look at it from an outsider's point of view. My take on the whole deal pretty much falls inline with what Sd'husker said above. That being said, this was my first look at the guy, and this is what I'll always remember him by. Now I'm one guy, part of one fanbase, but Dennard will always be the guy that got into a fight with Alshon to me.

I'll contrast that with Burkhead, who really impressed me. Growing up in the south, we got to watch Atlanta and Washington on Sunday's. As I was watching that game yesterday, Burkhead reminded me of the great John Riggins. Big ole white boy with TONS of power and just enough speed. I'm gald we don't have to play him again anytime soon. He kept his head, played well, and I'll be a fan of his at the next level.

The point I'm making here is that no matter how good you play, you can mess it up in a single moment. As I said above, this is something I'll put on the Nebraska coaching staff. They should have seen Dennard's frustration with the situation and COACHED him to how well he actually was doing (all of the sacks yesterday were basically coverage sacks, that's a plus for NEB (vs a mobile QB)), and helped him keep his head in the game. They also should have gotten him a little safety help to take a bit of the pressure off.

But that's all in the past and fodder for discussion boards and talk radio now...

So by that definition I am to think the worst of Alshon Jeffrey for being the other partner in that dance and for also getting ejected? That fight wasn't just Dennard.

You go ahead and think the worst of Dennard. I'll think the worst of Jeffrey. We'll both be happy in our inaccuracies.

So by that definition I am to think the worst of Alshon Jeffrey for being the other partner in that dance and for also getting ejected? That fight wasn't just Dennard.

You go ahead and think the worst of Dennard. I'll think the worst of Jeffrey. We'll both be happy in our inaccuracies.

I think that if you wanted to "hate on" Jeffery, that would be fair.

But you are still missing what I'm trying to say, I guess that's the hard part about trying to convey the nuances of a point in a text based environment.

My point was, and still is this. I think Dennard played a good game. He made a couple of mistakes, but he went man up with the guy that's likely going to be the #1 WR taken in the draft. Played him as good or better than guys from those SEC defenses that you've heard so much about. But that's not what I'm going to remember him by. He'll be the guy that "fought" Alshon. And that's not necessarily a negative view of him, just a factual view of the events. It was the most exciting, unusual thing from the game (I mean players don't fight and get kicked out very often), and it is what it is. He had a chance to let me come away with the same impression I came away with when I look at a Rex Burkehead or Lavonte David. Unfortunately, he blew it in that regard.

With that being said, I don't BLAME him for what happened, and that's the key difference. As I said above, I blame the Nebraska coaching staff, for all the reasons stated above.

You should blame Jeffery, too. It takes two to tango. Dennard didn't manufacture that fight all by his lonesome. In four years as a starter, this is Dennard's only fight, and only ejection, and he's gone up against some very tough, arrogant, trash-talking WRs in his day. Something about those two set this thing off, and they both went at it. Both are to blame, and if you're going to blame Nebraska's coaching staff, blame Spurrier & Co. as well.

You should blame Jeffery, too. It takes two to tango. Dennard didn't manufacture that fight all by his lonesome. In four years as a starter, this is Dennard's only fight, and only ejection, and he's gone up against some very tough, arrogant, trash-talking WRs in his day. Something about those two set this thing off, and they both went at it. Both are to blame, and if you're going to blame Nebraska's coaching staff, blame Spurrier & Co. as well.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do. To be fair, didn't I say that I thought along the same lines as 'sd'sker' when they said....

i'm really not too upset at either player regarding the fight. yes, it was unnecessary, but i would not call it cheap or thuggish. it was just two players playing with incredible intensity and emotion and they eventually let their emotion get the better of themselves. fonzie should not have thrown a punch (i never understood this, i mean the other guy has a helmet on) but i do not blame him because jeffery was holding him by the facemask. again, it was stupid, not shameful.

So I hear were you are coming from. I was proud that Alshon made the catch at the end of the 1st. That moment in the 3rd, not so much. I still honestly believe that Dennard hurt his team more in that moment, for reasons stated above. But Alshon screwed himself out of a chance to get the record for most yards receiving yards ever in the SEC and that's going to haunt him (at least until he gets that first NFL paycheck...) It was a thoughtless moment by both players, but I get intensity and teh will to win, so I'm not going to judge too harshly...

I think that if you wanted to "hate on" Jeffery, that would be fair.

But you are still missing what I'm trying to say, I guess that's the hard part about trying to convey the nuances of a point in a text based environment.

My point was, and still is this. I think Dennard played a good game. He made a couple of mistakes, but he went man up with the guy that's likely going to be the #1 WR taken in the draft. Played him as good or better than guys from those SEC defenses that you've heard so much about. But that's not what I'm going to remember him by. He'll be the guy that "fought" Alshon. And that's not necessarily a negative view of him, just a factual view of the events. It was the most exciting, unusual thing from the game (I mean players don't fight and get kicked out very often), and it is what it is. He had a chance to let me come away with the same impression I came away with when I look at a Rex Burkehead or Lavonte David. Unfortunately, he blew it in that regard.

With that being said, I don't BLAME him for what happened, and that's the key difference. As I said above, I blame the Nebraska coaching staff, for all the reasons stated above.

I read your reasoning for blaming the Nebraska staff, but I don't really see it that way. Being a South Carolina fan, you should know all too well that some players just make stupid decisions. Dennard is a great cornerback, as you pointed out. He always goes one on one with the opponent's best receiver, and he is usually successful. He didn't need safety help because I'm sure he saw the situation the same as we did - he gave up one big play, the Hail Mary was luck and the rest of it was Dennard doing a pretty good job.

Your other suggestion is purely conjecture, because you don't know what the Nebraska staff was doing/saying on the sidelines. Maybe they said/did all those things you suggested, and Dennard still lost his cool. How many times do you think the SC staff told Stephen Garcia to get his act together, yet he continually made the wrong choices. By your definition, I should assume the SC staff did nothing to prevent Garcia from making stupid mistakes and eventually getting kicked off the team.

I know your opinion is well-intentioned, so just know that I'm not attacking you. I just don't see it the way you do. Players are ultimately responsible for there actions, and even the best coaches can't prevent players from making stupid decisions. It happens.

Lastly, I think Blackmon is going before Jeffrey, but I've also seen Blackmon play a lot more this year.