Alshon Jeffery

Oh pshh. Whatever. Watch the game, get a clue. Don't be one of those people going by stats alone. Alshon had two big catches. Both of those catches Dennard was not to blame for. Cassidy, the safety, was supposed to have inside zone on that 78 yard streak route that Dennard ran him down on. If Cassidy does his job he picks that pass, or at least makes the QB put some arc on the ball. Dennard was on the outside of the receiver like he was supposed to be. The hail mary was crap as well, Dennard wasn't even guarding him from the start of the play. Stanley Jean-Baptiste was guarding him from the line.

Dennard shut Jeffery down. He had what, 1 or 2 catches when Dennard was 1 on 1 with him? Whenever Dennard was forced to play a team strategy and share Jeffery with others was when Jeffery got yards. Not impressed. He couldn't beat Dennard on his own, but he could certainly beat everyone else in Nebraska's secondary.

My point was more that Jeffery was not held to just two catches he had four. He wasn't shutdown if anything he was pivotal in deciding this game as he was on the receiving end of that Hail Mary. Fluke or not it turned the game around for USC.

And how many catches did he have in the last 1 1/2 quarters?

None that I can remember...caught a pretty good punch a Husker threw though.

the hail mary was a great play by jefferies, but you cant really blame fonzie for that...

but remember, thats not a fluke... :sarcasm

its like having your man hit a 1/2 court shot....... again not taking that away from jefferies, but that was not a normal play. but just like the 1/2 court shot... the points count.

but you're not following me, Spurrier drew that play up so that Jeffery would score and it would allow the OP to start this thread....

Don't be silly Walksalone....its quite clear from the avatar that Spurrier IS the OP. You guys asked earlier if he'd forgotten about that Osborne-era beatdown? The answer is no, he's been posting here under one handle or another for years.

Seems like Fonzo stayed with him just as much. He had two catches I recall. Not much for your stud. Yes a last second hail mary, but Fonzo wasn't covering him, On the big 78 yrd play, Fonzo caught him, y'all missed a field goal.

Got pissed about being manhandled for 3 quarters and got ejected with Fonzo so no, Fonzo played better. Thanks though.

4 catches, 148 yards. And left the game early with 58 yards shy of the SEC record for career receiving yards. And I am not gloating, everyone knows a big part of that was on a hail mary. Dennard played him tougher, more physical than any CB I've seen in his 3 years here. Dennard made a believer in me.

Thanks! We love Fonzie here. I thought he played Alshon competitively, and definitely got a rise out of him.

It is too bad what happened. IMO, when you get an elite receiver faced on an elite corner, it is usually more about mitigating damage than shutting the guy down completely (very rare). It's unfortunate Fonzie got beat today, but luckily nothing came out of the play that he is most at fault on.

I like stats and facts. Alshon and Dennard played a little over 1 half of the game. Alshon was targeted 5 times and made 4 catches for 148 yards and a TD. Dennard had 4 tackles, no pass break-ups, no interceptions, gave up 2 huge gainers of over 50 yards. C'mon, nobody isn't saying Dennard isn't good, but the numbers show that Alshon won the battle. Also, he won the Game MVP from the Cap One (to be fair though, personally I would have chosen Shaw.)

In one half, Alshon showed why most of the SEC, who has the best DB's in the country, still double team Alshon. He's a 6'4", 230 lb, 36 in vertical leaper with 4.5ish 40 yard speed MISMATCH, who also has great hands. If you don't double him, and stop Shaw from throwing in his direction, he will win a lot of jump balls.

I'm all for rep'ing your guys, but you also gotta know when they got beat, and Dennard got beat...Except in the fight.

I watched the replay a few times. Dennard landed 3 punches, to Alshon's face palm strike. So the Judges card would read 3-1 in favor of Dennard.

Its far beyond the stats which show who won the battle, first off ill give alshon credit for 3 of those catches, the hail mary (which ill say wasnt a fluke) was not on dennard, it was giant cluster f#ck down there and alshon made a great play for the TD, Dennard had his back turned and mistimed his jump, it was a play that wouldnt normally happen in a game, but it did, thus i dont think you can completely take that as dennards fault, the other 3 however were against him, BUT shaw was 11-17, sacked multiple times, and scrambled many times on coverage locks, dennard might have given up a few catches, but how about the 15 plays he had him locked down? a great receiever will make catches, put the best corner in the NFL on calvin johnson and calvin will make plays, but that does not mean he won the battle...id say it was a hell of a battle but i think its very bias to say alshon won cuz youre a c$%k ;)

I like stats and facts. Alshon and Dennard played a little over 1 half of the game. Alshon was targeted 5 times and made 4 catches for 148 yards and a TD. Dennard had 4 tackles, no pass break-ups, no interceptions, gave up 2 huge gainers of over 50 yards. C'mon, nobody isn't saying Dennard isn't good, but the numbers show that Alshon won the battle. Also, he won the Game MVP from the Cap One (to be fair though, personally I would have chosen Shaw.)

In one half, Alshon showed why most of the SEC, who has the best DB's in the country, still double team Alshon. He's a 6'4", 230 lb, 36 in vertical leaper with 4.5ish 40 yard speed MISMATCH, who also has great hands. If you don't double him, and stop Shaw from throwing in his direction, he will win a lot of jump balls.

I'm all for rep'ing your guys, but you also gotta know when they got beat, and Dennard got beat...Except in the fight.

I watched the replay a few times. Dennard landed 3 punches, to Alshon's face palm strike. So the Judges card would read 3-1 in favor of Dennard.

Its far beyond the stats which show who won the battle, first off ill give alshon credit for 3 of those catches, the hail mary (which ill say wasnt a fluke) was not on dennard, it was giant cluster f#ck down there and alshon made a great play for the TD, Dennard had his back turned and mistimed his jump, it was a play that wouldnt normally happen in a game, but it did, thus i dont think you can completely take that as dennards fault, the other 3 however were against him, BUT shaw was 11-17, sacked multiple times, and scrambled many times on coverage locks, dennard might have given up a few catches, but how about the 15 plays he had him locked down? a great receiever will make catches, put the best corner in the NFL on calvin johnson and calvin will make plays, but that does not mean he won the battle...id say it was a hell of a battle but i think its very bias to say alshon won cuz youre a c$%k ;)

haha, what if I get that badgerfan to agree with me, can we count it then?

Oh pshh. Whatever. Watch the game, get a clue. Don't be one of those people going by stats alone. Ashlon had two big catches. Both of those catches Dennard was not to blame for. Cassidy, the safety, was supposed to have inside zone on that 78 yard streak route that Dennard ran him down on. If Cassidy does his job he picks that pass. Dennard was on the outside like he was supposed to be. The hail mary was crap as well, Dennard wasn't guarding him from the start of the play.

Dennard shut Jeffrey down. He had what, 1 or 2 catches when Dennard was 1 on 1 with him? Whenever Dennard was forced to play a team strategy and share Jeffrey with others was when he got yards. Not impressed.

Thanks for bringing up something I complete forgot about....You want to see a safety that helps over the top in man watch Stafford. You want to see a safety who bites and leaves the corner exposed...watch the other guy.

I'm not even talking about in man. Dennard never needed help over the top when he was in man defense one on one. That streak route that went for 78 yards was a cover 2 zone, probably the least complex of any college defense. Nothing tricky or complex was going on. Cassidy (assuming it was him, don't really remember) was off in la-la land for the entire play, and apparently forgot what he was doing and didn't have inside help on the outside receiver. Dennard didn't really even try to jam, he funneled him right towards the middle like he was supposed to.

Actually, it was man coverage.

Dennard said Jeffery caught him out of focus on the big play.

“I kind of took the play off myself,” he said. “I usually put hands on him, but that time I put no hands on him. I usually put hands on him, but I tried to run side by side with him. I just lost my focus.”

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Alfonzo-Dennard-ended-his-career-with-an-ejection-55356

The corner doesnt run side by side with the receiver in a cover 2 zone.

Oh pshh. Whatever. Watch the game, get a clue. Don't be one of those people going by stats alone. Alshon had two big catches. Both of those catches Dennard was not to blame for. Cassidy, the safety, was supposed to have inside zone on that 78 yard streak route that Dennard ran him down on. If Cassidy does his job he picks that pass, or at least makes the QB put some arc on the ball. Dennard was on the outside of the receiver like he was supposed to be. The hail mary was crap as well, Dennard wasn't even guarding him from the start of the play. Stanley Jean-Baptiste was guarding him from the line.

Dennard shut Jeffery down. He had what, 1 or 2 catches when Dennard was 1 on 1 with him? Whenever Dennard was forced to play a team strategy and share Jeffery with others was when Jeffery got yards. Not impressed. He couldn't beat Dennard on his own, but he could certainly beat everyone else in Nebraska's secondary.

Wrong.

"The Huskers were less fortunate at the end of the first half, when Jeffery snuck behind several defenders, out-jumped the group and hauled in a 51-yard hail mary on the last play of the half. Dennard, safety Damion Stafford and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were all on the coverage."

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Alfonzo-Dennard-ended-his-career-with-an-ejection-55356

Alshon Jeffrey made 2 catches, only one of which resulted in any points for his team. Dennard was completely shutting him down and was gettin under his skin. Obviously jeffrey feels he is entitled becuase of who he is. Dennard was in no way innocent for what happened, in fact I feel Dennard did more to deserve what happened to him, but it is a major failure of morales to award the mvp to a trash talking, face mask grabbing thug like alshon jeffrey. What has our society come to when we kick a player out of the game for crap like that then not 2 hours later give him the mvp, for a game a barely played half of. What a joke. No wonder these punks and act like they do.

Make that 4.

4 catches for 148 in ONE half is shutting him down? Ok...

Dennard had been getting away with grabbing and pushing Alshon 10-15 yards down the field ALL game. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt that illegal? Or is that just in the NFL?

And if Alshon is a "thug" for grabbing a facemask, what does that make Dennard for throwing 3 punches?

Jeffrey makes one great deep catch, a hail marry catch he'll get one in every 100 tries, gets ejected from the game and we're to eat crow on this?

:confucius

I never said to eat crow. I actually thought Dennard did a good job on him. Its just certain fans saying that Dennard shut him down when he OBVIOUSLY didnt.

Alshon Jeffrey made 2 catches, only one of which resulted in any points for his team. Dennard was completely shutting him down and was gettin under his skin. Obviously jeffrey feels he is entitled becuase of who he is. Dennard was in no way innocent for what happened, in fact I feel Dennard did more to deserve what happened to him, but it is a major failure of morales to award the mvp to a trash talking, face mask grabbing thug like alshon jeffrey. What has our society come to when we kick a player out of the game for crap like that then not 2 hours later give him the mvp, for a game a barely played half of. What a joke. No wonder these punks and act like they do.

Make that 4.

Dennard had been getting away with grabbing and pushing Alshon 10-15 yards down the field ALL game. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt that illegal? Or is that just in the NFL?

And if Alshon is a "thug" for grabbing a facemask, what does that make Dennard for throwing 3 punches?

You can get away with contact in college, but not in the pros. I don't know the exact yardage. Nebraska secondaries, under Pelini, are renowned for their physicality. They do about as much as they can to not get called, but they often push those limits to the extreme.

Jeffrey is a great player, but Dennard played him tough. All but what...20-30 yards came on two plays for Jeffrey - one was a great catch on his part, and the other was a hail mary catch he probably will get one of out every 100 tries. It's a hail mary - no planning to it at all. Just get up and grab it. Props to Jeffrey for grabbing it, but color me not overly impressed. He's four inches taller than everybody back there defending him.

It was a well fought battle. My original comments were towards the OP, who said we should eat crow.

Make that 4.

You can get away with contact in college, but not in the pros. I don't know the exact yardage. Nebraska secondaries, under Pelini, are renowned for their physicality. They do about as much as they can to not get called, but they often push those limits to the extreme.

Jeffrey is a great player, but Dennard played him tough. All but what...20-30 yards came on two plays for Jeffrey - one was a great catch on his part, and the other was a hail mary catch he probably will get one of out every 100 tries. It's a hail mary - no planning to it at all. Just get up and grab it. Props to Jeffrey for grabbing it, but color me not overly impressed. He's four inches taller than everybody back their defending him.

Like Ive said all along, Dennard played him really tough. Better than fellow projected first round corner Dre Kirkpatrick did last year. I wasnt complaining about Dennards physicality down the field, Alshon is borderline pass interference physical all the time down the field. And that hail mary he would catch almost everytime, at its core it was just a jumpball, and thats his thing. You guys should have just had someone behind him to keep him from getting in the end zone.

First of all, to the guy who called Jeffrey a slew of insults, including "thug"... lol dude please go back and watch the replay... where I come from, you get ejected for throwing punches (which your boy did).... Yeah, Alshon grabbed the facemash and shoved him- both inappropriate, but NOONE EVER GETS EJECTED FOR THAT. That was ridiculous. Alshon Jeffery is far from a thug- the guy stays far away from trouble... so watch your mouth, man please and learn to be a rational human being. All the people trying to downplay Alshon and say you aren't impressed, I can simply laugh at you. If one of your receivers made plays like that, you would all be going nuts... and to say the hail mary was a "fluke play"... um no, this wasn't a tip ball that he happened to be in the area of- Alshon straight mossed 3 of your players and then willed his way to the endzone- that was a beastly individual play so please don't be a bad sport about it.

Congrats to your team. Thanks for coming over to our message board to convince all of us we're idiots. We deserve it. Someday we'll all die and everyone in South Carolina will live forever and your football team will become immortal and sleep with 70 virgins a night, if they aren't already. Hope your time was well-served sitting in front of a computer talking down to people you don't know instead of joining reality and celebrating with actual people who may or may not like you or care who you are.

Like Ive said all along, Dennard played him really tough. Better than fellow projected first round corner Dre Kirkpatrick did last year. I wasnt complaining about Dennards physicality down the field, Alshon is borderline pass interference physical all the time down the field. And that hail mary he would catch almost everytime, at its core it was just a jumpball, and thats his thing. You guys should have just had someone behind him to keep him from getting in the end zone.

A jump ball, one on one, I could see Jeffrey winning that battle often. That said, I don't care how good a wide receiver is - most don't come down with hail mary passes. Most are deflected or intercepted and the stats prove this. Again, I don't want to take anything away from Jeffrey, because Nebraska could have played that pass better without question. At it's core, though, a hail mary is a prayer.

I thought Shaw deserved the MVP more than Jeffrey, though. I don't care what you did in a game - if you're ejected, you don't deserve to be rewarded for your play. I would hold this standard to Jeffrey even if he were a Husker player.

• Fire 1