Callahan says he made no throat-slashing gesture

When Callahan was asked about it in the postgame, he refused to answer it because of what happened last year with Mark Mangino being fined $100,000 for his comment about the ref's.

What i do know from someone within the team is that when the argument went down, Callahan was yelling at Steve Uscheck (the ref) who i mentioned in this thread a while back that there was an obvious holding call, Steve said none of the ref's saw it, and Callahan replied back saying that the holding caused a touchdown that basically just slit their throat, then he made the gesture.

I think you are dead on, except it wasn't a $100,000 fine. It was a $10,000 fine. And it's about damn time someone called the refs out for their crappy calls this year. It may not be the only reason we lost but it is a big reason. I think Callahan has the fire this team needs to win. We will win out the rest of the season or come close. We will end up 8-3 and I'll be damn proud of that. CU won't beat us, they aren't as good as people think they are.

Anyway, let's hope for better game calling from the refs the rest of the season.

I think that holding is the only way that teams have been able run the ball on us at all, with the possible exception of Mizzou. This game was a particularly bad display of refereeing. That hold took place directly infront of the side judge, who was directly infront of the student section, and even my girlfriend, who knows nothing about football went, I thought that the offense couldnt tackle the defense like that!!!! It was the worse non call i have ever seen, and i am sick and tired of watching these paid officials not be able to make the correct call on 75% of the plays. I dont ask for perfection, but i ask for pretty close to it from goddamn paid professionals. High school referees are better than this.

Bill Callahan pleads his case following a Sooner touchdown in the fourth quarter. (Eric Gregory)

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said Monday that he didn’t make a throat-slashing gesture toward an official after Oklahoma scored a touchdown Saturday.

Callahan appeared livid after Kejuan Jones’ 17-yard touchdown run that gave the Sooners a 31-17 lead in the fourth quarter. OU won 31-24.

Callahan engaged in an animated discussion with referee Steve Usechek after the touchdown. It appeared a holding penalty against Oklahoma went uncalled on the play.

Videotape showed Callahan raising his right arm, index finger extended, and making a motion from left to right across his throat.

The Big 12 Conference was reviewing the video Monday, spokesman Bob Burda said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Callahan initially did not know what a reporter was asking about when the topic came up on the Big 12 coaches’ teleconference.

“What do you mean? What are you talking about,” Callahan said.

Upon hearing the question again, Callahan said, “Oh, no. No. I was frustrated and emotional. There was no malicious intent toward anyone or any referee.”

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said Monday that he didn't make a throat-slashing gesture toward an official after Oklahoma scored a touchdown Saturday.

Callahan appeared livid after Kejuan Jones' 17-yard touchdown run that gave the Sooners a 31-17 lead in the fourth quarter. OU won 31-24.

Callahan engaged in an animated discussion with referee Steve Usechek after the touchdown. It appeared a holding penalty against Oklahoma went uncalled on the play.

Videotape showed Callahan raising his right arm, index finger extended, and making a motion from left to right across his throat.

The Big 12 Conference was reviewing the video Monday, spokesman Bob Burda said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Callahan initially did not know what a reporter was asking about when the topic came up on the Big 12 coaches' teleconference.

"What do you mean? What are you talking about?" Callahan said.

Upon hearing the question again, Callahan said, "Oh, no. No. I was frustrated and emotional. There was no malicious intent toward anyone or any referee."

Callahan declined to comment on whether he intended the slashing motion to be a demonstration of how cornerback Cortney Grixby was held on the play.

"Someone is making a big deal out of something that's nothing," Callahan said. "I really don't know what you're talking about."

Callahan, as he did Saturday, declined to comment on officiating.

In 2004 the NCAA Football Rules Committee made the throat-slashing gesture a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The NFL outlawed the gesture in 1999, making it a 15-yard penalty and a $2,500 fine.

From: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2056115

"What do you mean? What are you talking about?" Callahan said.

Upon hearing the question again, Callahan said, "Oh, no. No. I was frustrated and emotional. There was no malicious intent toward anyone or any referee."

"Someone is making a big deal out of something that's nothing," Callahan said. "I really don't know what you're talking about."

Hmm, seems like billy c. is taking truth and honesty lessons from pud :wtf

C'mon, we all saw it. If you want to say that "I meant that you guys were killing us, but nothing malicious...." I could accept that and let it go, no big deal. But "cover it up," make it a story, to straight up lie about it.... <_<

If you all watch the game again, it was a motion across the neck, but it really looked like a very upset Callahan was gesturing towards the ref that Grixby was being held around the neck. It is debatable, but it is peoples nature to assume the worst. Hell, it is nice to see an emotional side to BC. Why would he make a throat cutting gesture to anyone? It just doesn't seem very plausable. It is not like he is a hillbilly. :lol:

I think he meant to high stick the dOOd. :lol: Granted, I am sure there is holding on both offenses but obvious and flagrant time after time because the opposing teams linemen cannot contain our Dline makes for a definite increase in frustration after 7 games. My 2 pesos on the deal.

Like was mentioned if the ref saw the slashing motion should have called a 15 yarder. Didnt see that one either. LASIK for all zebras and BB umps. :cheers

Gee, FF does that equate with LP and the caveman exhibition? Wasn't that worse because it was to the physical detriment of another human being? Name calling and obscene gestures will never hurt me but sticks and stones will, remember that saying?

Was it ok for Pudllini to go pick on Snyder that decrepid old man another check mark for an embarassing situation at NU. It isn't just BC and the AD ya have to play equal with all the personnel past and present.