Updated Recruiting Board

Also, Keoni Bush-Loo and Sebastian Smith could be in. It would be quite a deal if we can grab 7-9 more guys in the last week before signing day.

This will not be a surprise to the staff ... it will be a surprise to some of the new posters on Huskerboard. If one understands what many of our "insiders" on this board share ... we are just fine at present and we will be just fine come NSD. The "smell of desperation" are by those newbies to the board who know nothing ... and their emotions sway for lack of knowledge.

Historically (Pelini's last 3 years) Nebraska has been fairly set by Christmas, with just a few to commit after. So I understand people (myself included) worrying. It's certainly looking better as things get closer though. A lot of the guys we've been in on since the beginning are still out there. Makes me wonder why there was a such a major change this year though. Especially after last years class was fairly solid w/ the old approach. Is it JP? Will this continue w/ the new RC? Is it just kind of where recruiting is going?

Not long ago classes were essentially whole by December 1 for a large number of programs. I wonder w/ all this "signing day drama" out there if we're going to see things move back towards late Jan/Feb again? I think kids are wanting to milk the process. w/ facebook and twitter they have a lot more "followers" and can easily reach a celebrity status in the markets seaking them. That wasn't the case, even as recently as 3-4 years ago for anyone outside the top 50ish. IMO recruiting was beginning too early anways so I'm all for whatever pushes it back closer to signing day.

I would guess it's a combination of everything...recruits milking the process (as Valentine, Ford, Moore, etc. seem to be doing), new Recruiting Coordinator, and so on.

I'm not too worried, though, I still think we'll have anywhere from 17-20 kids in this class. Peat, Valentine, Moore, Curry, Ford, Whitaker, Smith, and Cross are who I think will commit in the end, with Fuller going to Rutgers, but you take him no matter who else is committed if he wants in. He's a guy you make room for. Valentine may not commit, just from all his theatrics that we've seen, but I do think we're the leader. Cross could go to a smaller school if he doesn't like all the other RB's in the stable at the moment.

Regardless, I think we will have a strong class in the end, favoring quality over quantity.

favoring quality over quantity.

For a while, I was believing that. Over the past few days, not so much.

No offense to our last two recruits, but I'm just not all that impressed with them. It just seems like we settled for less, because we couldn't get anything better. Bush-loo also falls into this category.

My top two WANTS right now would be Andrus Peat and Devante Bourque (doubt we'll get him, though). Moore and Fuller would be nice additions. I still think Valentine will sign somewhere else.

If we can get Peat, Moore, and Fuller I'll be suprised and happy.

No offense to our last two recruits, but I'm just not all that impressed with them. It just seems like we settled for less, because we couldn't get anything better.

Based on what? Stars? Film? Other offers?

probably because we hadn't heard a word about either of them, then all of a suddent they land an offer and commit the next day. if they were so great why didn't they have that offer 10 months ago? (i'll give you a hint: because they weren't anywhere near the top of our board). We didn't just "discover" a kid that had played for one of our coaches, or was a teamate of current Huskers.

according to rivals we had offers out to 38 defensive backs before taking Alexander, 24 of them CBs. We had offers out to 18 OL, including 11 offensive tackles. If you don't think these guys were down the list, then I don't know what to tell you. People say to trust the coaches...well this is just me trusting the list they originally put together, and accepting the fact that they are reaching the lower half of it at this point.

(not saying these guys won't turn out great, but there's a reason they weren't evaluated higher earlier)

All above the above, and the fact that we didn't offer them until just recently... seems like they were a last-ditch effort to boost up recruiting numbers.

And yeah, I know there are circumstances where 2-star guys and under become top-notch players, but for the most part, they don't. In this case, once again I hope I'm wrong and that these 2 guys are Heisman candidates in a few years.

I've come to realize on this board that people don't want to hear anything negative AT ALL. If think in pessimistic or even realistic terms, you are labeled as a "Debbie Downer" or "Negative Nancy". And yet those same people are the ones angry and upset on gameday and national signing day when things aren't all rainbows and unicorns...

If Ford/Moore are silent commits like we think they are then we already have 14 on board... we will for sure get more than 16... count on it. I'd say probably closer to 20. If we get Peat/Fuller/Shelton/VV/Curry/Cross/ a safety... we have 21. We could realistically get all these guys if the staff has room for them.

We have room for 21 or 22 as it stands with current players on scholarships, and guys leaving the program. I think the coaches would like to be at 19 max and give the rest to a few walk ons already on the team. I'd be shocked with anything more than 18 at the moment.

probably because we hadn't heard a word about either of them, then all of a suddent they land an offer and commit the next day. if they were so great why didn't they have that offer 10 months ago

my sentiments exactly.

Its because we didn't know he was out there along with most other schools. For what ever reason tape on him didn't go out to places. We were at the school scouting a kid for 2013 and noticed him. He came up and introduced himself to our staff at that time. I know its hard to belive but it happens. I think the fact that both the Gators and the Ducks wanted him to visit says he was over looked. Sometimes it just happens.

I've come to realize on this board that people don't want to hear anything negative AT ALL. If think in pessimistic or even realistic terms, you are labeled as a "Debbie Downer" or "Negative Nancy". And yet those same people are the ones angry and upset on gameday and national signing day when things aren't all rainbows and unicorns...

I often wonder if we could sign Mike Nobler and still get the same "diamond in the rough" references :)

probably because we hadn't heard a word about either of them, then all of a suddent they land an offer and commit the next day. if they were so great why didn't they have that offer 10 months ago

my sentiments exactly.

Its because we didn't know he was out there along with most other schools. For what ever reason tape on him didn't go out to places. We were at the school scouting a kid for 2013 and noticed him. He came up and introduced himself to our staff at that time. I know its hard to belive but it happens. I think the fact that both the Gators and the Ducks wanted him to visit says he was over looked. Sometimes it just happens.

Alexander was coached by Marrow, and teamates w/ Kevin Williams. How'd he get missed?

I can see it with Whit, but I'm just not buying this whole "under the radar" excuse we use for most of the guys we sign after Christmas. Every year we grab a few and everyone gets all excited about our next "under the radar" recruit. We wouldn't be looking for these guys if we hadn't already or weren't planning on missing a few of the guys ahead of them. Why can't we just admit we're working plan B and plan C right now? Nothing wrong w/ that - it's what most schools are doing right now as well. It's why other schools are showing interest in these guys all of a sudden...because they were their plan B and plan C recruits too.

No offense to our last two recruits, but I'm just not all that impressed with them. It just seems like we settled for less, because we couldn't get anything better.

probably because we hadn't heard a word about either of them, then all of a suddent they land an offer and commit the next day. if they were so great why didn't they have that offer 10 months ago? (i'll give you a hint: because they weren't anywhere near the top of our board). We didn't just "discover" a kid that had played for one of our coaches, or was a teamate of current Huskers.

according to rivals we had offers out to 38 defensive backs before taking Alexander, 24 of them CBs. We had offers out to 18 OL, including 11 offensive tackles. If you don't think these guys were down the list, then I don't know what to tell you. People say to trust the coaches...well this is just me trusting the list they originally put together, and accepting the fact that they are reaching the lower half of it at this point.

(not saying these guys won't turn out great, but there's a reason they weren't evaluated higher earlier)

I understand what you're saying and agree with some of it but the evaluation process isn't a one and done thing. It never stops. You and I don't know where these guys were at on the coaches board after they were evaluated. I admit that Leroy is a bit of question mark because all we really know about are great measurables. But Whitaker? The tape is fairly impressive all while playing against some of the better talent in the state of california. There's no doubt that these guys are plan b/c guys but to imply they are plan q r s based on the order in which they were offered, would be false.

As for people hating negative opinions on this board, I hope that wasn't directed at me. I was just curious as to the reasoning behind your opinion. If you view that as dogging your post, ill keep that in mind and remember not to comment on anything else you post.