Updated Recruiting Board

probably because we hadn't heard a word about either of them, then all of a suddent they land an offer and commit the next day. if they were so great why didn't they have that offer 10 months ago

my sentiments exactly.

Its because we didn't know he was out there along with most other schools. For what ever reason tape on him didn't go out to places. We were at the school scouting a kid for 2013 and noticed him. He came up and introduced himself to our staff at that time. I know its hard to belive but it happens. I think the fact that both the Gators and the Ducks wanted him to visit says he was over looked. Sometimes it just happens.

Alexander was coached by Marrow, and teamates w/ Kevin Williams. How'd he get missed?

I can see it with Whit, but I'm just not buying this whole "under the radar" excuse we use for most of the guys we sign after Christmas. Every year we grab a few and everyone gets all excited about our next "under the radar" recruit. We wouldn't be looking for these guys if we hadn't already or weren't planning on missing a few of the guys ahead of them. Why can't we just admit we're working plan B and plan C right now? Nothing wrong w/ that - it's what most schools are doing right now as well. It's why other schools are showing interest in these guys all of a sudden...because they were their plan B and plan C recruits as well.

I'm sorry. I was only commenting on Whit. But since you asked, Alexander was someone who is a risk to qualify. That’s why he's not high up on the lists. Chances are he doesn't qualify and ends up here in the next class. Remember recruiting services do admit they base some of their stars on who's recruiting the kids so if no one made offers because of grades then he's likely to be over looked unless he's just a beast. But even then what good is it if you can't get to campus.

Personally. . I'm ok with him, but not high on him like some of the other guys we're going to sign. Seems like every team has a guy or two like that. It sounds like he hasn't had a lot of work so I think he might have some upside but that’s always a risk. I don't think he's peaked and that’s what is offer was based on, but its still a risk. He plays at a school that has several D1 offers but the level of play is similar to what we'd see in Omaha, maybe slightly better. I think the talent is getting a bit a boost that it shouldn't because those guys are simply that much better than the other teams regionally.

So you're saying its better to not have anyone than a plan B?

If you're settling for "Plan B" and "Plan C" guys just to boost your recruiting numbers, well, I don't agree with that. When the only other schools offering a kid are schools like Toledo and Idaho, I take that as a bad sign.

It's as if the staff is saying, "Uh oh, we only have 10 guys right now... we better go out and find some kids so that the number will be in the same ballpark as the other big name schools"

We wouldn't be looking for these guys if we hadn't already or weren't planning on missing a few of the guys ahead of them. Why can't we just admit we're working plan B and plan C right now

Exactly.

definately not - if oversigning has taught us anything it's that numbers mean as much as quality - which is why I wasn't buying the "average stars" argument being thrown around a month ago. I think it's more the fact we're at Plan B for recruit #13 vs. #18. Now, I think the coaches already have a pretty good idea who 13-18 are...so really it makes no difference when the Plan B guys come in. Where it gets old is pumping sunshine up Plac B's a$$. But that's just part of following recruiting I guess :)

Sometimes players get missed. How can the kid be on our board if they dont know who he is? How do you know if they would have seen him earlier in the process that he wouldnt have been on top of our board? Its not logical to say that we have seen every single prospect in the country. Sometimes you get lucky and miss out on someone only to find someone who you havent seen before or someone who blew up their senior year gain 3" and 30 lbs and went un noticed.

It happens at every level. Even in the NFL guys are undrafted and turning out be great players. Kurt Warner, James Harrison, Wes Welker, Antonio Gates, and i think the colts center Saturday just to name a few.

If you're settling for "Plan B" and "Plan C" guys just to boost your recruiting numbers, well, I don't agree with that. When the only other schools offering a kid are schools like Toledo and Idaho, I take that as a bad sign.

It's as if the staff is saying, "Uh oh, we only have 10 guys right now... we better go out and find some kids so that the number will be in the same ballpark as the other big name schools"

That's one of the silliest things I've heard. You're essentially saying that having no player is better than having a player. Yeah, USC is definitely going to be better with 70 players on scholarship rather than 85.

You are never going to get everyone you want...that is unless you're a whinny child who has weak parents.

Well, living in Baton Rouge I see on a daily basis how LSU operates. They focus on certain targets, and if they don't get those targets, they don't settle for a lesser-quality recruit just to add a number. If they can get another recruit who's equally as good, then they'll go after him, otherwise, they'll live with the smaller number of recruits. QB Gunner Kiel was a prime example. He decided to switch to ND after committing to LSU... yet LSU isn't scrambling to find another QB who they weren't previously looking at, just to add a number to their class. They refuse to sacrifice quality for quantity, and that's why they've been so successful.

Well, living in Baton Rouge I see on a daily basis how LSU operates. They focus on certain targets, and if they don't get those targets, they don't settle for a lesser-quality recruit just to add a number. If they can get another recruit who's equally as good, then they'll go after him, otherwise, they'll live with the smaller number of recruits. QB Gunner Kiel was a prime example. He decided to switch to ND after committing to LSU... yet LSU isn't scrambling to find another QB who they weren't previously looking at, just to add a number to their class. They refuse to sacrifice quality for quantity, and that's why they've been so successful.

LSU will just take one of the kids they have at receiver or DB and throw him in at QB. They either go for the big fish or nothing at all and that will come back to bite them later on.

Most def... that is the ONLY reason why they've been successful.

$EC

$EC

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

• Fire 1

Most years we have a class full but we knew that we needed 20 or 25 kids. This year we started out at 16 and have moved up to 21 kids in the mean time we told a few that we were full at this position. Secondly the guys on our board are mostly 4 star players with everybody in there uncle after them. This class will look very good with a 5 star and 4 4 star players and 3 or 4 high 3 stars.

Being a realist is not fun sometimes. Just hope you all don't expect great things out of our usual recruiting class. Looking for a diamond in the ruff to justify poor recruiting? I sure hope we get the studs we need to keep up this 9 wins a season thing we got going. But other than getting 6 or more 5 star recruits this week....... I just don't see anything more than status quo. I know. It's spelled rough......But I also know nothing special cumulative in this group.