Sipple: Time to honor Frank Solich at NU, Osborne says

Nexus

Things I know and think I know:

My wife tells me I tend to fixate on life's rather trivial matters — one of my several flaws, for sure.

So, in the spirit of fixation, I asked Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne on Friday if there has been any movement to formally recognize former Husker football coach Frank Solich, perhaps at halftime of a game or even halftime of a Red-White Spring Game (I've broached this topic a few times in recent years).

"I talked to Frank about that (Friday) morning, and would really like to do that," Osborne said. "The big problem has been finding the right time to do it. But we're trying to find a time when we might be able to do something like that."

Continue Reading

• Fire 3

About time !!

GBR!!!

Yes, thank you for putting our program in the gutter. Just stay away Frank, you did enough damage.

Wow! Two posts. Two polar extremes of opinion. I am somewhere in the middle. Ehhh, maybe not the greatest coach in the world. But he was a loyal soldier. Throw the guy a bone. Plaques are cheap.

Edited. To get rid of this junk: " &nbsp"

<_<

Yes, thank you for putting our program in the gutter. Just stay away Frank, you did enough damage.

Did you ever see him play? 158lbs at fullback and always left it all out on the field. We seem to have had quite a few great running backs, when he was coaching the r/b's position. He is a Husker through and through. You must be one of those "what have you done for me lately" guys. <_<

GBR!!!

Frank's case is an odd one, at best--he brought DoNU to a title game and conference titles, but also presided over our worst downturn since Devaney's third and fourth(?--going on memory here) years in Lincoln, including what was perhaps one of the most embarrassing losses in our program's history.

He did find Bo Pelini, though, and gave him a shot, which does deserve credit. But then he also brought Barney Cotton on board, too.

The man is a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, and seasoned liberally with riddle.

I know Frank deserves cheers for his accomplishments as player and coach, but if we look at the summation of his work at DoNU, the man also deserves some jeers, does he not?

---

If we *truly* want to do something special, yet fitting for Frank, then Dr. Tom should offer to buy out Ohio's cheapest contract and put the Ohio Bobcats as our fourth home game in Lincoln next year. Then we can have an elongated halftime where they players from both teams can stay out and watch Frank be honored.

And then in the second half, Nebraska wins by a score of 62-36 over Ohio. :|

love how positive you are all the time eyeswear2allthatsholy

It's the truth, he turned our porsche of a program into a beat up pinto. Yes, lets say thanks for Franks first full team of his own players being bad enough in that he had to beat an FCS team to reach a bowl in 2002. Then due to his bad recruting NU was passed by OU, UT, KSU, ISU and Mizzou as programs on his watch. Anyone can win with the great talent he was given by Tom.

<_<

Did you ever see him play? 158lbs at fullback and always left it all out on the field. We seem to have had quite a few great running backs, when he was coaching the r/b's position. He is a Husker through and through. You must be one of those "what have you done for me lately" guys. <_<

GBR!!!

His playing days have nothing to do with his coaching at NU. If anything, it's more appalling that since he is one of us that he allowed the program to get lazy. I never understood why people don't hold that against him.

Yes, thank you for putting our program in the gutter. Just stay away Steve, you did enough damage.

Fixed it for you man.

While I have no love for SP, Frank deserved to be fired. How SP screwed up the coaching search has nothing to do with the failure of Frank as a HC at NU. If SP was smart (which we all know the answer to this one) he should have allowed Frank to coach one more year and then his failure would have been complete. The bowl streak would have stopped on his watch (as it should have) and then even the uneducated NU fan would have been behind getting rid of the drunken midget.

love how positive you are all the time eyeswear2allthatsholy

It's the truth, he turned our porsche of a program into a beat up pinto. Yes, lets say thanks for Franks first full team of his own players being bad enough in that he had to beat an FCS team to reach a bowl in 2002. Then due to his bad recruting NU was passed by OU, UT, KSU, ISU and Mizzou as programs on his watch. Anyone can win with the great talent he was given by Tom.

of course. :ahhhhhhhh