Are you a Realist?

Are you a Realist?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do see myself as a realist, but it seems that the people who make statements on this board and back them up by saying, "I'm not pessimistic, I'm just a realist" have one and only one qualification for calling themselves realists:

At no point are you ever allowed to have a positive thought... ever.

I keep seeing this term thrown out there on HuskerBoard. It doesn't make much sense to me. Doesn't every person think they're a realist?

it depends on the context of the usage. In most cases I am sure every person would think they are a realist. However we all know people who are overly pessimistic and optimistic. But given that you posted this on Huskerboard I think i have an idea of the context of its usage. And in that case, the very clear answer is no. Not everyone is a realist.

Do you think everyone thinks they are a realist? Or do you think people go into a conversation knowing they are full of it and post accordingly?

My contention is that most people have their own sense of reality and feel that others lack a realistic perspective, when often what people perceive to be their own "realism" is simply their point of view.

that may be true. But then we can call those people crazy. ;) I guess the way i see it is this, there are realist (the norm) that believe there is good and bad, and are expecting some of each. There are the pessimists (chicken littles) that always think the sky is falling and the worst will always happen. Then there are the optimists (head in the clouds) that think nothing bad will ever happen. Although in eachs own mind they are "real" the truth is the outliners are not the norm. The norm is the "realist" that know there is some good and bad.

This board is an example of people who are "not real". There are the chicken little husker fans. Bo needs to be fired. TM is the worst QB ever. We will NEVER win again. Once TO is gone we will become MN or Indiana at football.

There are the cloud husker fans who still think its the mid 90's and NE will go without ever losing again. They should/will play for a MNC every year. Think that NE is still gods of CFB and should be treated as such. And that every player is the best in the country and a national award finalist

Then there are the 'real' husker fans who know that 10 wins is still good. That competting for or winning a conference championship every few years is great and are happy as long as things are positive within the program. That NE has some really good, and some not so good things that are going to happen but know that generally speaking things are currently in a good place.

There are the cloud husker fans who still think its the mid 90's and NE will go without ever losing again. They should/will play for a MNC every year. Think that NE is still gods of CFB and should be treated as such. And that every player is the best in the country and a national award finalist

What are you trying to say here, fro daddy?...

That there are fans that dont have a currently realistic view of their team...

I am unsure what you are digging for?

I'm just saying, are you trying to say that the Huskers are not gods of the CFB and should lose games?

jk man, it was my unsuccessful attempt to be funny I guess.

I'm just saying, are you trying to say that the Huskers are not gods of the CFB and should lose games?

jk man, it was my unsuccessful attempt to be funny I guess.

I clearly missed the joke. ^_^ No worries.

I think he's trying to say that unless Nebraska has success reminiscent of the mid '90's some of our fans will view the team as a failure. Further, I think he's saying that while our season could have been better it certainly wasn't as bad as some of the more negative people complained about. And finally, people need to understand that getting to 9 wins every season in college football is practically unheard of outside of Nebraska and a 9 or 10 win season is nothing to sneer at.

It gets thrown out a lot because people don't like to admit they're pessimists. Calling yourself a realist makes you feel better about having such a sh**ty outlook on life, and in this case, your favorite sports team.

This. I really believe that attitude is a decision. You can decide to see things in a negative light, or you can emphasize the good in any situation. You can look for the things you are grateful for, or you can point to all the ways you are getting screwed. In my experience, the people who are never happy are "realists," and thus they are beyond critique because they aren't being excessively negative, they're just saying that there is a good chance we're all going to die in the next fifteen minutes, every fifteen minutes. Of course, when fifteen minutes pass and we don't expire, the next comment is, "hey, I'm GLAD I was wrong. I never wanted that to happen. But the sad fact is, pandas now have the taste for human flesh. And they are coming for us and they will eat your children in front of you and then they will shoot sharpened bamboo spears into your throat and it will take a LONG time to die. And it's going to happen in the next fifteen minutes."

"...Okay, so, no pandas. Hey, I never said I WANTED that to happen. I'm as relieved as anyone that we're all alive. But the sad fact is, Obama is actually Loki, he's played us all for fools, and pretty soon he's going to launch on Delaware. Once that happens, the Dover Reserve will release their secret biological weapon they've kept under wraps. Ever read The Stand? Well, we're all dead, and it's coming in the next fifteen minutes."

...ad nauseum--->

• Fire 1