Jesus and abortion

You have to admit that there are some on here who are very demeaning to the Christian point of view. And that America as a nation is becoming less religous as the years go by. :hmmph

I don't mean to be demeaning to the Christian point of view. Instead, I'm trying to elaborate on how some fairly mainstream "Christian" views don't really line up with the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

The US is becoming less religious as the years go by. No argument there.

Christians who do bad things don't do them because they are Christian.

Christians who do bad things don't do them because they are Christian . . . but . . . Muslims who do bad things do them because they are Muslim!

(sarcasm)

Yes and no!! A Christian who steals and then feels remorse and asks for forgiveness does not do it because he is a christian but rather that he gave into temptation. The same could be said for a muslim if they stole and then repented of their sin. But the same can't be said when a muslim slams a plane into a building yelling praise allah. Then that falls on the muslim faith of that person and what and who taught him to be that way. :angry:

You have to admit that there are some on here who are very demeaning to the Christian point of view. And that America as a nation is becoming less religous as the years go by. :hmmph

I don't mean to be demeaning to the Christian point of view. Instead, I'm trying to elaborate on how some fairly mainstream "Christian" views don't really line up with the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

The US is becoming less religious as the years go by. No argument there.

I have never said YOU were demeaning, when I used your name I was reffering to you NOT BELIEVING IN JESUS AND THAT THERE WILL BE VERY FEW WHO BELIEVE IN THE END OF TIMES. It is really hard to line up all teachings of Christ in this day and age, what are your concerns? :dunno

Christians who do bad things don't do them because they are Christian . . . but . . . Muslims who do bad things do them because they are Muslim!

(sarcasm)

Yes and no!! A Christian who steals and then feels remorse and asks for forgiveness does not do it because he is a christian but rather that he gave into temptation. The same could be said for a muslim if they stole and then repented of their sin. But the same can't be said when a muslim slams a plane into a building yelling praise allah. Then that falls on the muslim faith of that person and what and who taught him to be that way. :angry:

Can the same thing be said of a "Christian" who takes part in mass killings, like the Norway mass-murderer? There are obvious examples of people who claim to be Christian doing very un-Christian things. That doesn't mean we get to blame Christians for those things any more than we get to blame Muslims because some nut-jobs flew some planes into some buildings.

(sarcasm)

Can the same thing be said of a "Christian" who takes part in mass killings, like the Norway mass-murderer? There are obvious examples of people who claim to be Christian doing very un-Christian things. That doesn't mean we get to blame Christians for those things any more than we get to blame Muslims because some nut-jobs flew some planes into some buildings.

That would be a good point knapplc . . . but Christian=good and Muslim=bad.

I'm pretty sure God has enough understanding to ultimately do the right thing with me and I just don't think he can take much offense at my attempts to defend attacks on Mary or her son.

Who is attacking Jesus? I think you might be confusing criticism of modern Christianity with criticism of Jesus. They are most definitely not synonymous.

You are correct in that sometimes it is hard to discern an attack on modern Christianity from an attack on the basic tenets of a religion, from a personal attack on me or my beliefs, or from an attack on Jesus or Mary. You asked who is attacking Jesus; call me crazy but when someone suggests that Mary should've aborted Jesus and mocks the widely held Christian belief of the immaculate conception and virgin birth, I think I am well within reason to construe that as an attack on Jesus, an attack on Christianity (modern or otherwise), and an attack on me and my beliefs. You and others may very well be only commenting on modern Christianity (example your cute little poster of militant right-wing Jesus). I understand, sort of, how a person may get to that point, I just fail to see the usefulness of it if the intent is to have a calm rational discussion and not simply bait people and be overly inflammatory. I realize a lot of crappy things have transpired in the name of religion. I am pretty successful at attributing those shortcomings to the humans who have gone off the track somewhere along the way. However, it seems some others, maybe yourself included, want to turn those human errors and shortcomings into some sort of indictment against religion itself or hold all members of a specific religion accountable for the actions of a few. That's not how I choose to do it and I would hope others would not do it. If a person wants to give up on a religion because of all the bad things that have transpired in it's name, fine, give up on it. I just don't understand the need to go on a mission to destroy that religion (such as attacking modern Christianity) when the only purpose is to help justify a persons own decision or to demonstrate that person thinks they know something nobody else understands.

You asked who is attacking Jesus; call me crazy but when someone suggests that Mary should've aborted Jesus and mocks the widely held Christian belief of the immaculate conception and virgin birth, I think I am well within reason to construe that as an attack on Jesus, an attack on Christianity (modern or otherwise), and an attack on me and my beliefs.

I have never mocked the virgin birth, but I consider it to be ridiculous.

Is that the same thing?

Do I get to be upset when someone incorrectly identified Yeshua ben Pantera as a member of some "Holy Trinity" and confuses His nature?

I'm pretty sure God has enough understanding to ultimately do the right thing with me and I just don't think he can take much offense at my attempts to defend attacks on Mary or her son.

Who is attacking Jesus? I think you might be confusing criticism of modern Christianity with criticism of Jesus. They are most definitely not synonymous.

You are correct in that sometimes it is hard to discern an attack on modern Christianity from an attack on the basic tenets of a religion, from a personal attack on me or my beliefs, or from an attack on Jesus or Mary. You asked who is attacking Jesus; call me crazy but when someone suggests that Mary should've aborted Jesus and mocks the widely held Christian belief of the immaculate conception and virgin birth, I think I am well within reason to construe that as an attack on Jesus, an attack on Christianity (modern or otherwise), and an attack on me and my beliefs. You and others may very well be only commenting on modern Christianity (example your cute little poster of militant right-wing Jesus). I understand, sort of, how a person may get to that point, I just fail to see the usefulness of it if the intent is to have a calm rational discussion and not simply bait people and be overly inflammatory. I realize a lot of crappy things have transpired in the name of religion. I am pretty successful at attributing those shortcomings to the humans who have gone off the track somewhere along the way. However, it seems some others, maybe yourself included, want to turn those human errors and shortcomings into some sort of indictment against religion itself or hold all members of a specific religion accountable for the actions of a few. That's not how I choose to do it and I would hope others would not do it. If a person wants to give up on a religion because of all the bad things that have transpired in it's name, fine, give up on it. I just don't understand the need to go on a mission to destroy that religion (such as attacking modern Christianity) when the only purpose is to help justify a persons own decision or to demonstrate that person thinks they know something nobody else understands.

I didn't so much "give up" on religion so much as decide that I no longer believe. It's a conscious choice and not one made lightly.

Biblical Christianity and the teachings of Jesus are good things. Both provide useful input to my concept of morality.

The Republican Jesus is a satirical example of how GOP (often the self-proclaimed party of Christianity) does not exactly line up with Biblical Jesus. I think those distinctions are useful and timely . . . particularly in a Politics and Religion forum.

(sarcasm)

Yes, the same can be said about that. Did he yell praise God when he shot them or praise Jesus? Then yes it is his fault and those who taught him.