Jesus and abortion

bible wasn't written or even dictated by Jesus, does that explain it?

This is absolutely the most assine issue in politics. I wonder if wire clotheshangers were around back then if Marry might have done us all a favor and solved this one for us, virgin birth my ass.

Did anyone here claim that the Bible was written or dictated by Jesus? Your non-point doesn't explain dick. If wire coathangers hadn't advanced to plastic, maybe your mother would've done us all a big favor.

My, that's very Christian of you JJHusker.

:facepalm:

• Fire 1

"And if men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him; and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life." (
)

eyeswear2allthatsholy

This is of course, not abortion.

Things that are social issues now may not have been back then, I guess - not too surprising.

Why didn't he ever mention his thoughts on the subject? You'd think he'd make it clear he was against it if he was against it. Anyone know how Christians explain this?

Here is an article on Jewish law, regarding when a fetus becomes a human being:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_abor.htm

A murder cannot take place unles a human being has been killed.

American law defines the beginning of human life in a scientific way rather than a religious way.

A fetus is a person when it is independent of a woman's body.

I'm not understanding the premise of this thread. Is it to cast doubt on the teachings of Jesus? Is it to say that all social issues today shouldn't be based on 2,000-year-old teachings? Is it to say that abortion isn't a religious issue?

Where are we going with this?

It seems to be a bashing of the Religious Right, who have a history of applying the Bible, Christianity and Jesus with selective creativity.

http://www.godandsci...ne/prolife.html

"And if men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him; and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life." (
)

eyeswear2allthatsholy

The word "miscarriage" is in the bible??

)

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Things that are social issues now may not have been back then, I guess - not too surprising.

That's my point. If it's true Jesus never talked about it then to me it's clear that it wasn't an issue back then. BUT the all knowing Jesus/God would know it would be one day and would talk about it. So this would be just another obvious hole in the plot. Not as sloppy as Mormons saying native americans are Jews...but still sloppy writing. :)

This is absolutely the most assine issue in politics. I wonder if wire clotheshangers were around back then if Marry might have done us all a favor and solved this one for us, virgin birth my ass.

Did anyone here claim that the Bible was written or dictated by Jesus? Your non-point doesn't explain dick. If wire coathangers hadn't advanced to plastic, maybe your mother would've done us all a big favor.

I can admit I'm no saint and I struggle mightily with the "turn the other cheek" attitude that is promoted by Jesus. It's very telling that you would choose to admonish me for what I said but not redblooded for his first breach of the topic. I have absolutely no trouble claiming to be a Christian and also saying what I said to redblooded. If you don't like it, too bad for you. If anyone is looking to me to be the poster boy for Christianity, you're looking in the wrong place. But please feel free to lump others in with me, disparage a whole religion, and try to claim this makes me some sort of hypocrite. My conscience is clear.

That's my point. If it's true Jesus never talked about it then to me it's clear that it wasn't an issue back then. BUT the all knowing Jesus/God would know it would be one day and would talk about it. So this would be just another obvious hole in the plot. Not as sloppy as Mormons saying native americans are Jews...but still sloppy writing. :)

If your point with this thread is to poke holes in Christianity, there are far better ways to do so than with this line of thinking. The very easy explanation is that an All-Knowing God would know about the future inventions of iPods, but didn't put Thou Shalt Not Pirate MP3s in the Bible because his audience at the time it was written would have had no clue what he was talking about. Give the God of All Creation more credit for knowing His audience than that. ;)

I can admit I'm no saint and I struggle mightily with the "turn the other cheek" attitude that is promoted by Jesus. It's very telling that you would choose to admonish me for what I said but not redblooded for his first breach of the topic. I have absolutely no trouble claiming to be a Christian and also saying what I said to redblooded. If you don't like it, too bad for you. If anyone is looking to me to be the poster boy for Christianity, you're looking in the wrong place. But please feel free to lump others in with me, disparage a whole religion, and try to claim this makes me some sort of hypocrite. My conscience is clear.

You have to try to ignore matt he is nothing but a troller and trouble maker. I am with you on the turn the other cheek, it is one of my weaknesses too. Jesus was a great man to be able to do so, I am not like him though I wish to be. So far I have not seen one post from Matt that is anyhting of subtance in this thread, he just gets on to troll and then waits to do it again. I guess he will learn his fate in the next life!! :ahhhhhhhh

....as a mod, I'm going to have to warn you against personal attacks against other people.

that being said,

there are both pro-abortion and anti-abortion stories/rules in the Bible. It's a huge book of contradictions. When it comes to passing laws in our country, I ask everyone to look at the reasons for their point of view. If they're religious based...if you have to say "god tells us (fill in the blank)"... I think you have no right to push those views into laws. Whether it be abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.

• Fire 1
I'm not understanding the premise of this thread. Is it to cast doubt on the teachings of Jesus? Is it to say that all social issues today shouldn't be based on 2,000-year-old teachings? Is it to say that abortion isn't a religious issue?

Where are we going with this?

It seems to be a bashing of the Religious Right, who have a history of applying the Bible, Christianity and Jesus with selective creativity.

Like the same selective creativity the Catholic Church employed when they constructed the Bible in the first place?

You have to try to ignore matt he is nothing but a troller and trouble maker. I am with you on the turn the other cheek, it is one of my weaknesses too. Jesus was a great man to be able to do so, I am not like him though I wish to be. So far I have not seen one post from Matt that is anyhting of subtance in this thread, he just gets on to troll and then waits to do it again. I guess he will learn his fate in the next life!! :ahhhhhhhh

Johnny, I'm only a troublemaker in your eyes because I call you out for what you are. A troll, and a pretty lousy one at that.

JJ, you essentially told someone you wished they were dead as a retort in an argument. That's a pretty big chasm to cover from 'I failed to turn the other cheek'.

Plus, if I recall correctly, Jesus did instruct Christians to love thy neighbor. If wishing someone dead is your version of love, then I would advise people to stay away from your house this coming Valentine's Day. :-|

)

eyeswear2allthatsholy

I really don't understand what you are after cactusboy. Sure it would be crystal clear if he was quoted as saying, life begins at conception and you should not kill that life before it emerges from the birth canal. Possibly even thrown in a few specific circumstances where it might be accptable to go ahead and end that life. But, for people who are able to extrapolate and build upon all of the teachings that are attributed to him, I think you can come to the rational conclusion that it was and is his basic position that killing life is not generally acceptable. I think you're trying to correlate modern day rationalization and political correctness with God's law and faith issues. If you aren't aware already, those things often conflict with one another. I think the analogy I posted earlier (btw mods thanks for removing that with no good reason) was very pertinent to this. I will try again and please see the context this is presented in. If the situation of a guy, who shall remain nameless, molests a child in a shower somewhere, and just because Jesus did not specifically address that exact situation 2000 years prior, do you really need further clarification that the action is wrong and he would be against it?