How many do we take this class (2013)?

Here is what I have crunched to believe are the current numbers as far as next years recruiting class.

As of right now there will be 63 underclassmen scholarship players. That is everyone that will be a Frosh thru Junior next fall.

Currently there will be 20 seniors next fall on scholarship.

That means right now there are two open schollies. They say they are leaving one for CJ if he qualifies. That leaves the other(or two if CJ fails to make it) for Maher(should get one for sure) Choi, or another deserving senior(if one is deemed) If both go to one of those three that would mean 22 available scholarships for the next cycle.

I would figure at least lossing three or four to attrition, grades, transfers, what evers.

So at this point would venture to say NU is looking at taking 25 kids this year.

Here is how I believe that 25 should breakdown position wise.

QB-take one

RB-take one

WR-take two

TE-Two and it is a MUST. Preferably one HS and one JUCO

OL-Five. I'd expect three to be true tackles

DL-Four. Three DEs and if another good DT prospect is heavily interested take him. I could see no DTs taken and four DEs but the DT position in the hardest to recruit.

LB'Four. I'd look for two SOLID MIKE's (Nick Ramirez NEEDS to be one of them)

DB-Six. Three Safeties, three corners(One already committed in Dixon)

That is my rough estimate.

EDIT orginally was including Spencer Long as getting a scholly as a senior. He will be a junior. My bad, I drank a lot last night. Good catch huskerhill

• Fire 2

Here is what I have crunched to believe are the current numbers as far as next years recruiting class.

As of right now there will be 63 underclassmen scholarship players. That is everyone that will be a Frosh thru Junior next fall.

That means right now there are two open schollies. They say they are leaving one for CJ if he qualifies. That leaves the other(or two if CJ fails to make it) for Maher(should get one for sure), Choi, and Long. If both go to one of those three that would mean 22 available scholarships for the next cycle.

I would figure at least lossing three or four to attrition, grades, transfers, what evers.

So at this point would venture to say NU is looking at taking 25 kids this year.

QB-take one

RB-take one

WR-take two

DL-Four. Three DEs and if another good DT prospect is heavily interested take him. I could see no DTs taken and four DEs but the DT position in the hardest to recruit.

I believe Long will be a junior next year so unless he goes pro, his scholarship would not be avaiable next year if he were to get a scholly this offseason. Man, I hope he has a good enough year to go pro. Regardless, 25 is a pretty safe bet for next year.

• Fire 1

That means right now there are two open schollies. They say they are leaving one for CJ if he qualifies. That leaves the other(or two if CJ fails to make it) for Maher(should get one for sure), Choi, and Long. If both go to one of those three that would mean 22 available scholarships for the next cycle.

QB-take one

RB-take one

WR-take two

I believe Long will be a junior next year so unless he goes pro, his scholarship would not be avaiable next year if he were to get a scholly this offseason. Man, I hope he has a good enough year to go pro. Regardless, 25 is a pretty safe bet for next year.

Your right, I was quickly running through my head who is deserving of being put on scholly. Let's just give it to Choi for arguements sake(as seniors are usually rewarded) and it still stays at 25. However, I could very easily see Long going on scholly.

QB-take one

RB-take one

WR-take two

i'm thinking 23-24 as follows:

qb 2 (one taken as an "athlete")

rb 1-2

wr 1-2

te 2

ol 5-6 (agree on three tackles)

dl 3-4

lb 3 (assuming alfava makes it)

db 3-5 (depending on jackson)

Our last four recruiting classes, including this year:

So this next class better be huge. The 2008 large recruiting class was Bo's first and it was a half class that he should get a pass on. But after what we've done with the next four, any shortages and other numbers issues have got to be a problem of Bo's own creation.

People will talk about oversigning and shady SEC practices but really, there is a middle ground to go to that should let us get more kids without having to do that. 79 players in a whole 4-year cycle, with a "wash" of a recruiting class the year before that -- just odd. Not even one large class in this time period.

This next class will be critical, in my opinion.

Yes it would be nice I guess, but Bo has stated numerous times that he likes to stay consistant. I would assume he has a plan of how to get to this concistency as far as numbers total and needs for positions from most to least important. After he gets there I think we will all see and hopefully understand more of his philosophies.

23 is the magic number right now depending on who we lose after spring ball or during fall camp. If we go over 25 I'll be a little worried.

I gotta agree, 23 will be the magic number. I don't see us getting over 25 recruits. Under 20 recruits would worry me.

1 QB would be nice, seeing how Ron and Taylor will be leaving soon.

2 HB would be preferred

2 WR would be good, 3 would be great

2 TE is a MUST, 3 would be great

2 - 3 OL I believe in the 2011 class

3 - 4 DE We lose great talent, the other players behind them haven't stepped up, McMullen will be good, Moss may work out, but we need more talent

3 DT We have talent here, but youth is a thorn in the side

3 LB I won't go high on here, we have a lot of good incoming talent here, let them develop and see if we need another overhaul at this spot

2 - 3 CB Would like to see some good CB commits to here before we go after JUCO guys

4 S This spot will really thin out after this year

1 K and 1 P Gotta replace Maher and i don't think i have enough trust in Bondi yet

it's always 2-3 more than we think. it could have been 19-20 this year, we were thinking 16 for the longest time.

I see 20 seniors on scholly right now (not including Cooper), w/ 83 total. I'm assuming CJ doesn't make it, and Khiry doesn't retrun (or goes medical). Maher/Choi will take those 2 remaining schollys. That means 22 scholarship seniors graduate. As always, 1-2 will drop this spring. That will open up a scholarship for an early enrollee JUCO player, likely a DB which will count against this current class of 17 I believe. 1-2 will drop in the fall, plus something unexpected as always. I'm guessing 26 total spots for next class...but we could likely go as high as 27-28 without getting ourselves too tight. What I think happens is we end up with a couple 3 for 3 JUCOS, as well as a couple early enrolees which won't count against our numbers. I'm not 100% sure how that works. Add that to the 24 fall enrollees and you've got a full class which should be ranked fairly well.

I see the coaches aiming for 27...going after some big fish again next year...settling for 24-25 w/ a few late misses.

Breakdown IMO

1 QB - as always

1 RB - as always

1 FB - i think you'll see more of the FB, and Moudy will be gone after this classes Rfrm year.

2-3 WR - we need to be thinking about replacing Bell, Evans, Turner with this class.

2 TE - we missed this year on our second. Graduating 1, and Jake gone the following year. Expect 1 HS, 1 JUCO here.

3-4 OL - we lose Long, Pensick, Qvale, Rodriguez, Sirles after these guys' freshman year.

3 DE - only because it's a big class, otherwise 2. We only have 1 junior on the roster, and we won't be trying to replace those seniors with this class. Maybe a JUCO here.

3 DT - we're thin at DT, even though there isn't a lot of upper classmen. I'd like to see us get 2 early committs and go fishin for a 5* here. If we miss we'll be ok.

3 LB - I think we'll always be at 3 here now that we're in the B1G.

4 CBs - I feel we missed here this year. 2 HS, 2 JUCOs. We need true CBs, not guys we take from the offense or convert from safety, etc.

3 S - Another miss this year. This class won't replace those seniors. I see 2 HS, 1 JUCO here as well to plug the hole.

That's 25-27 guys...which is where I see us ending. I also have 4-5 JUCOs coming in. There are some major holes forming in the backfield, and we didn't do enough to plug those with this recent class...and I wouldn't expect redshirt freshman to be effective anyway. We missed there the 2 classes before this one, and kind of missed again this year. It hasn't been a big enough emphasis...so I see us going after some JUCOs in the backfield.