Running Back for 2013

walksalone

Rex did not have to get as many carries as he did in some of those games. We would have beaten Iowa even if he would have carried the ball 25 times. Aaron Green or Ameer Abdullah NEED to get 10-15 carries a game next season. We need them to be able to do that.

Preach on. I hope to hell you're right, because I'm not enthused by the prospect of finding out who our RB is going to be during the 2013 spring game...

From what I have seen:

1. Abdullah. (Needs to work on ball security.)

2. Green. (Might be a better threat catching passes out of the backfield.)

3. Imani Cross. (To be honest . . . I'm not sure why this guy got an offer. I don't ever see him catching on at RB.)

Can we let the kid see the practice field at least before we start judging his talents one way or another?... I actually loved his highlight tape. He doesn't have the shake that Rex has, but he has POWER and after seeing Marlon Lucky get tackled by the chalklines on the field, I love a guy who can break through arm tackles and even good tackles and find his way to the endzone.

Rex did not have to get as many carries as he did in some of those games. We would have beaten Iowa even if he would have carried the ball 25 times. Aaron Green or Ameer Abdullah NEED to get 10-15 carries a game next season. We need them to be able to do that.

Yeah I think I agree with this. Rex should still get 15-20, or more if the situation dictates. But getting Abdullah (especially) the ball 8 carries a game or so will be huge in keeping Rex healthy, getting fresh legs in the game, and getting Abdullah some more experience for 2013.

From what I have seen:

3. Imani Cross. (To be honest . . . I'm not sure why this guy got an offer. I don't ever see him catching on at RB.)

Can we let the kid see the practice field at least before we start judging his talents one way or another?... I actually loved his highlight tape. He doesn't have the shake that Rex has, but he has POWER and after seeing Marlon Lucky get tackled by the chalklines on the field, I love a guy who can break through arm tackles and even good tackles and find his way to the endzone.

Luckily for Mr. Cross (and everyone else) my estimate of his ability does not impact reality. I hope that he is the second coming of Adrian Peterson.

That said, I do like how you seem critical of my thoughts on his highlight tape . . . right before you say that you loved his highlight tape. Apparently the "wait and see" approach only applies to non-kool aid flavored posts.

From what I have seen:

Luckily for Mr. Cross (and everyone else) my estimate of his ability does not impact reality. I hope that he is the second coming of Adrian Peterson.

That said, I do like how you seem critical of my thoughts on his highlight tape . . . right before you say that you loved his highlight tape. Apparently the "wait and see" approach only applies to non-kool aid flavored posts.

Duh!

I'd be happy if Cross played the role that Castile was expected to play opposite Helu. Rex did fine his freshman year - but I was really looking forward to seeing the 1-2 punch of Castille/Helu. We could have done some damage w/ those two. And I always wonder how that offense/Watson might have fared had he still been around. I'd really love to see something similar between Rex/Cross.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on Cross. But I do like the fact that he brings something different to the table. We have essentially had Rex (blue collar) + 3 little Helu clones. Now we'll have Rex, 2 Helu clones, and Cross. Rex/Cross seems the most interesting of the combinations personally.

From what I have seen:

Did I ever say that I think he is a homerun? I'm taking the wait-and-see approach with him. All I said is that I love seeing a RB be able to break tackles and not fall down at the first sign of contact like Marlon Lucky did. I wish they would have switched Lucky to slot receiver after his sophomore year. It was pretty much the role he played best, and it probably would have helped him be more likely to succeed in the NFL. I'm really not sure what you are saying...

From what I have seen:

Did I ever say that I think he is a homerun? I'm taking the wait-and-see approach with him. All I said is that I love seeing a RB be able to break tackles and not fall down at the first sign of contact like Marlon Lucky did. I wish they would have switched Lucky to slot receiver after his sophomore year. It was pretty much the role he played best, and it probably would have helped him be more likely to succeed in the NFL. I'm really not sure what you are saying...

True enough.

Lucky had hands of glue and was fast as hell. A good pass blocker too. However, he was marginal at best as a "running" back. Especially between the tackles (just like our triplets this year) with no power or vision.

I agree a good rb simply has to have power along with acceleration and vision. Hope Green gets there pronto.

Now don't jump down my throat for this prognostication but here are my thoughts about this topic:

First off I am seeing an 8-5 or 7-6 season. With that in mind I can see us really making an effort to develop depth in games and not just practice.

I see us getting off to a 3-3 or 4-2 kinda start with losses coming in similar fashion as last year. With that I see pelini blowing up the depth chart trying to get a spark going.

In pertaining to the runningback position I see it playing out similar to last year with this exception. Once we become eliminated for alot of our post season goals I see pelini pulling the reins in on Rex to keep him healthy for the next level.

In summing up, my guess about our record(if comes true) lends to us getting a serious look at our younger guys. I wish we could get a good look at younger guys in the 3rd and 4th quarters of blowouts but quite honestly when's the last time we were afforded that luxury?

Now don't jump down my throat for this prognostication but here are my thoughts about this topic:

First off I am seeing an 8-5 or 7-6 season. With that in mind I can see us really making an effort to develop depth in games and not just practice.

I see us getting off to a 3-3 or 4-2 kinda start with losses coming in similar fashion as last year. With that I see pelini blowing up the depth chart trying to get a spark going.

In pertaining to the runningback position I see it playing out similar to last year with this exception. Once we become eliminated for alot of our post season goals I see pelini pulling the reins in on Rex to keep him healthy for the next level.

In summing up, my guess about our record(if comes true) lends to us getting a serious look at our younger guys. I wish we could get a good look at younger guys in the 3rd and 4th quarters of blowouts but quite honestly when's the last time we were afforded that luxury?

post-10281-0-27428300-1329255040.jpg

I wish we could get a good look at younger guys in the 3rd and 4th quarters of blowouts but quite honestly when's the last time we were afforded that luxury?

I'll not comment on the first part of your post because there will be enough offseason sunshine pumpers drilling you as is...however in regards to blowouts....Chattanooga, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Michigan and Iowa were all lopsided victories/losses.