Running Back for 2013

walksalone

I know this is wayyyyyyyyyyy early, but I was wondering, with this being Rex's senior year, are we going to use this year as an impromptu "tryout" for who's going to be the feature back? I'm thinking it'll probably be more like running back by committee, as I'm not sure if anyone of those guys are really going to set themselves apart from the others.

Sorry, this is what the offseason does to people

Edited by walksalone

I honestly thought that Heard would eventually be the RB who seperated from the pack. But, if he moves to DB, then I am up in the air. It will be interesting.

I agree, I too thought Heard would be the guy. He runs with shoulders square to the line and has lateral movement without loss of speed. I guess thats why (hips) they want him at DB.

All in all I'm quite pleased with Pelini as a coach. But one beef I have is that he doesn't get younger guys in for reps. Time and again we see this. He burns a guy's shirt, and the guy spends the rest of the season riding the pine. But we're actually not too bad at RB. The newbie triplet RBs each got a handful of carries through the whole season. So we're sitting on some experienced depth at RB.

All in all I'm quite pleased with Pelini as a coach. But one beef I have is that he doesn't get younger guys in for reps. Time and again we see this. He burns a guy's shirt, and the guy spends the rest of the season riding the pine. But we're actually not too bad at RB. The newbie triplet RBs each got a handful of carries through the whole season. So we're sitting on some experienced depth at RB.

a handful of carries doesn't equate to very much experience........if Rex gets hurt, we are screwed....maybe he should start "sliding" too?

a handful of carries doesn't equate to very much experience........if Rex gets hurt, we are screwed....maybe he should start "sliding" too?

Naw. Rex should keep right on running around defenders, running past defenders, and running over defenders. Just like last season.

Do you honestly think Rex would do that? And for our team to be succesful this year Rex will have to carry a pretty heavy load.

I think Ameer will mature, learn ball security, and become a solid, electric playmaker by in his junior and senior years.

Ameer is small and won't be able to take a pounding in the B1G........he isn't the guy to have 20 or more touches per game.

This may be true may not. You never know how much weight a guy will gain hes only what.. 19 20? If you watch recruiting we are starting to go after more of a bigger back. I think we realized that we need a bigger back to survive the Big 10 and then a change of pace back like A Green and Ameer to run our Oregon formations.

I don't really see Ameer as much of a speed guy either. He doesn't really amaze me in that category. He's a very balanced back. Green is definitely the speedier of the two. I'm convinced that's the only way we should use him, on sweeps and reverses. Get him into space and hopefully Ameer can put on some weight and be a more dependable back in the future.