Running Back for 2013

walksalone

All in all I'm quite pleased with Pelini as a coach. But one beef I have is that he doesn't get younger guys in for reps. Time and again we see this. He burns a guy's shirt, and the guy spends the rest of the season riding the pine. But we're actually not too bad at RB. The newbie triplet RBs each got a handful of carries through the whole season. So we're sitting on some experienced depth at RB.

Pelini did come forward and admit to this. I have a beef w/ him in this area as well, but it was kind of situational. I expected to see many of the young guys in the early blowouts, but w/ the new system going in the vets likely needed those reps as much as the young guys. And none were really blowouts anyways. Bo is competitive - but he needs to learn that when the team has already checked out (wisconsin/michigan) you might as well get the younger guys some reps.

All-in-all though, w/ the way things played out last year (close out of conference games, new offense, new conference) I only saw 4-5 series where Carnes could have been in and he wasn't. 1 each against Wisconsin/Michigan, maybe 1 more against Minnesota. Couple more between the other games. So likely he would have had a total of 20 more plays under his belt in situations where we weren't going to do much anyway. The other guys kind of go the same way.

He's aware of it though - so I expect him to try and build some depth this year in those opportunities.

Is everybody forgetting about Mike Marrow? If the hype holds true, he will ease the load on Rex this year and then be the primary back in 2013 while the other RBs get their share of snaps. Who knows what will happen between now and then, but I would hope that either Green, Abdullah, or Cross would show promise as the next workhorse sometime in the next 2 years.

I do. And I think the coaches see him as more of an every-down back than a FB. He will probably play that role as well, and I hope it's pretty unstoppable next year.

This would be news to me. Not many 6'1, 250lb backs carrying the ball 25 times a game.

if he could carry the ball 12-15 times per game and average 4 yards, that would give Rex a break..........but i have my doubts, we seldom use the FB in any formations.

I guess the whole thing that worries me is that there isn't any clear heir apparent to Rex. Should he get hurt this season, I think we might be in some serious trouble. I would like to have a better idea who the eventual candidate's going to be.

it was nice when Helu was featured and Rex as a freshman back who could contribute right away, like he did......i am holding out for Imani Cross to be at least a thumper who can spell Rex some and gain some real experience.....unless someone else steps up this spring/fall.........but we all know there is nothing solid in the cards yet.

Well, I didn't see any of the triplets last year being even remotely ready for heavy use. I honestly was afraid they would get hurt running between the tackles. Oh boy, they got "crushed"......ouch!

We need a Buckhalter/Danimal.......

funny thing, Buckhalter was better in the NFL than he was at NU.

• Fire 1

I guess the whole thing that worries me is that there isn't any clear heir apparent to Rex. Should he get hurt this season, I think we might be in some serious trouble. I would like to have a better idea who the eventual candidate's going to be.

it was nice when Helu was featured and Rex as a freshman back who could contribute right away, like he did......i am holding out for Imani Cross to be at least a thumper who can spell Rex some and gain some real experience.....unless someone else steps up this spring/fall.........but we all know there is nothing solid in the cards yet.

Thats what I'm talking about. The transition from Roy to Rex was virtually seamless. I think we're not going to be anywhere near as lucky with the upcoming "passing of the baton"...

Thats what I'm talking about. The transition from Roy to Rex was virtually seamless. I think we're not going to be anywhere near as lucky with the upcoming "passing of the baton"...

there isn't many freshman like Rex, we literally stole him out of Texas.