Running Back for 2013

walksalone

I don't see why people think the offense will greatly improve either, we lost 3 starters on the O-line.

Tmart's ankle was running scared all year with Caputo on the line. Now that Martinez doesn't have to worry about little "Rudy" getting bull rushed into him his pocket presence should be much improved. Who were the other two? Oh yeah...that yoshi guy...he was the gimpy one right? Or was that the other one?

Point being....healthy this offensive line should be much improved (especially for Big10 style of play) this year. Add that to getting rid of Kinnie, turner getting out of the dog house, beck getting past his rookie season, Martinez finally getting to play in a second year of an offense, Bo staying out of the offense (he's got enough probs on D), not playing 13 new opponents, experience, talent, Rex, some more Rex, (did I mention some more Rex?) and you have the makings of an improved offense. Top 10? Only time will tell...but likely top 25. A lot depends on Martinez...I'll always be skeptical there...but I find it hard to believe the O won't improve.

I'm not surprised that you disagree with me because it seems that you will always disagree with me, whether it be about football or religion. All it will take is for 2 people to step up and take the spots of Dennard and David, and if they can do an average to above average job, the defense will be a much improved unit from last season. That's IF we can find 2 guys. If that happens, you will be proved wrong big-time. That's my prediction.

You can put what I'm saying in the back of your head and refer back to it later. IF Dennard and David's spots get filled with two guys who know their assignments and are decent players, this will be a much-improved defense over the 2011 version.

In case you didn't see it, I still hope you're right. I don't disagree with you because of who you are. I disagree with you because I don't agree with what you are saying. I'm reminded of the people who argued that Suh would be easily replaced. You don't just plug in another body for a David, Dennard, or Suh. Those 2 positions (linebacker and corner back) WILL be worse this year. That doesn't necessarily mean that the defense as a whole will be worse. The whole can be greater than the sum of the parts but the evidence suggests that we can expect similar results.

We'll see. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong. Last year I thought that we were going to have one of the best defenses in the Big Ten. :(

(BTW, are you between the ages of 16 and 24? Just a hunch.)

I don't see why people think the offense will greatly improve either, we lost 3 starters on the O-line.

Point being....healthy this offensive line should be much improved (especially for Big10 style of play) this year.

I guess I'll ask why you think the line will be improved? Obviously if the line can stay healthy that would be great, but an O-line staying healthy all year hasn't happened to this team in just about forever. But who's going to step up and make this line better? We've pretty much only seen Long, Moore, Sirles, Choi, and Rodriguez get game action. To think were just going to plug in a center who's bigger and the problem will be fixed is wishful thinking to me. But other than the names I listed, have you seen anyone else play on the line? That's why I don't think it's just some guarantee that the line will be an upgrade from last year.

Point being....healthy this offensive line should be much improved (especially for Big10 style of play) this year.

I guess I'll ask why you think the line will be improved? Obviously if the line can stay healthy that would be great, but an O-line staying healthy all year hasn't happened to this team in just about forever. But who's going to step up and make this line better? We've pretty much only seen Long, Moore, Sirles, Choi, and Rodriguez get game action. To think were just going to plug in a center who's bigger and the problem will be fixed is wishful thinking to me. But other than the names I listed, have you seen anyone else play on the line? That's why I don't think it's just some guarantee that the line will be an upgrade from last year.

not only that, but we are nowhere 2 deep at any position, WITH experience.........come on people, just give it a damn rest.

I thought Rex got a little tired in some of those games and he would be better if he got spelled. I agree with some others that this staff could do a better job of subbing in their younger players. Green was kind of snake bit last year. There were several times where he could of had the corner on the pitch or was wide open but Taylor held onto the ball too long and didn't see him.

Amazing! Even this thread getting geared towards "its Taylor's fault"... :facepalm:

That's not the point I was trying to make. Let me put it this way.....I thought Green had 2 or 3 plays that could of been big plays. Perhaps he would of got more time if the team could of executed those types of plays more consistently. Unfortunately they are still working on the timing and execution of some of those plays.

I think this worrying about who will spell or sub for Rex next season is a moot point. According to Bo Pelini Nebraska ran the ball 68% of the time last season and he said that was too much. He wants a more balanced style of offense. It sounds good in theory assuming that our wide receivers can actually hang onto the ball once it hits them in their hands.

I think this worrying about who will spell or sub for Rex next season is a moot point. According to Bo Pelini Nebraska ran the ball 68% of the time last season and he said that was too much. He wants a more balanced style of offense. It sounds good in theory assuming that our wide receivers can actually hang onto the ball once it hits them in their hands.

Well, I don't see it as that ironclad Bo wanting to be just like everybody else "balanced". Just where did he say that 68% is too much? Heck, TO's teams used to run the ball 80% of the time and all they won was lots of games, conferences & national championships. Darn good thing we wouldn't want to do that.

Wherever Bo said that, I hope it was taken put of context or at a weak moment for him. It would be a suicidal move, imo, going back to copying everyone else being "balanced". NU can't stand toe to toe with USC, Texas, Bama, LSU, etc, etc recruiting for the same type of offense for any consistent time basis (at all).

Hope it's a rumor only.

I'm not surprised that you disagree with me because it seems that you will always disagree with me, whether it be about football or religion. All it will take is for 2 people to step up and take the spots of Dennard and David, and if they can do an average to above average job, the defense will be a much improved unit from last season. That's IF we can find 2 guys. If that happens, you will be proved wrong big-time. That's my prediction.

You can put what I'm saying in the back of your head and refer back to it later. IF Dennard and David's spots get filled with two guys who know their assignments and are decent players, this will be a much-improved defense over the 2011 version.

In case you didn't see it, I still hope you're right. I don't disagree with you because of who you are. I disagree with you because I don't agree with what you are saying. I'm reminded of the people who argued that Suh would be easily replaced. You don't just plug in another body for a David, Dennard, or Suh. Those 2 positions (linebacker and corner back) WILL be worse this year. That doesn't necessarily mean that the defense as a whole will be worse. The whole can be greater than the sum of the parts but the evidence suggests that we can expect similar results.

We'll see. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong. Last year I thought that we were going to have one of the best defenses in the Big Ten. :(

(BTW, are you between the ages of 16 and 24? Just a hunch.)

Fair enough. And I'm about 10 days away from 22, just so you know. Not that it matters that much.

Well, I don't see it as that ironclad Bo wanting to be just like everybody else "balanced". Just where did he say that 68% is too much? Heck, TO's teams used to run the ball 80% of the time and all they won was lots of games, conferences & national championships. Darn good thing we wouldn't want to do that.

Wherever Bo said that, I hope it was taken put of context or at a weak moment for him. It would be a suicidal move, imo, going back to copying everyone else being "balanced". NU can't stand toe to toe with USC, Texas, Bama, LSU, etc, etc recruiting for the same type of offense for any consistent time basis (at all).

Hope it's a rumor only.

exactly, it would take a bigtime passer and productive receivers.........we don't have either.

Hope it's a rumor only.

exactly, it would take a bigtime passer and productive receivers.........we don't have either.

True.

But we've got an experienced qb that runs like a scalded dog, a great rb and we'll almost certainly see improvement in our Oline this year (quite possibly a "lot"). Having our OC, WR & OLine coaches not in their 1st year should help too. Lastly, after three straight years of dropping passes all over the place it's always possible one or two of our wrs learn how to catch the ball. I'm not betting the ranch on that of course but you never know.

On that side of the ball I like our chances.

But we've got an experienced qb that runs like a scalded dog, a great rb and we'll almost certainly see improvement in our Oline this year (quite possibly a "lot"). Having our OC, WR & OLine coaches not in their 1st year should help too. Lastly, after three straight years of dropping passes all over the place it's always possible one or two of our wrs learn how to catch the ball. I'm not betting the ranch on that of course but you never know.

I know that this is now going to get off into a Martinez debate but I really am losing my faith in statements like the one above. I think too many people are still in awe over his first 6-7 games as a Husker. He was absolutely amazing. He had more 30-40+ yard TDs than a lot of teams did. But "running like a scalded dog" is something we haven't seen in about 18 months...(assuming running like a scalded dog is good - as opposed to haphazardly w/ no vision/direction...because we've seen that within the last 18 months).

I don't even consider Martinez much of a running threat at this point...yet all his devout supports wave the "dual-threat" banner high, screaming "he's a danger to take it to the house every time he touches the ball"...yet he hasn't really "taken it to the house" in over a year. He had a long run against Fresno. Maybe 1 more during the season? All his other TDs were shorter yardage runs. Nothing like his first 6-7 games of 2010. His YPG are way down. 25% of his 2011 season (as far as rushing goes) came against Fresno. Another 20% against Cahattanooga. If last season is any indication....he's good for 40-60 yards a game. So are a lot of other QBs in this league. And I GUARENTEE you if we had a passing QB that could keep a defense honest...we'd easily replace that 40-60 yards on the ground when our RBs don't have to run against 8 in the box.

Defenses have neutralized Taylor. We all were hopeful the second half of the 2010 season was injury and not scheme...but I think it's obvious that it's more about defenses having film on Taylor and being able to scheme to stop him. He didn't score a TD in the last 7 games of 2011. Loading 8 in the box opens up other things in the defense, creates weaknesses which is great. But what are those? Passes. So if we can't exploit the weekness that is exposed what's the point of exposing it in the first place?

And have you counted the dropped passes? only a few really mattered. none cost us a game. Rex putting the ball on the turf at the 5 yard line had more impact on a game than all the drops combined but no one harps on him. 2 drops against Minnesota? who cares. every team has drops...blaming our lack of a passing game on 8-10 dropped passes throughout a season is "horsesh!t" and plays like a broken record.

• Fire 2

I know that this is now going to get off into a Martinez debate but I really am losing my faith in statements like the one above. I think too many people are still in awe over his first 6-7 games as a Husker. He was absolutely amazing. He had more 30-40+ yard TDs than a lot of teams did. But "running like a scalded dog" is something we haven't seen in about 18 months...(assuming running like a scalded dog is good - as opposed to haphazardly w/ no vision/direction...because we've seen that within the last 18 months).

I don't even consider Martinez much of a running threat at this point...yet all his devout supports wave the "dual-threat" banner high, screaming "he's a danger to take it to the house every time he touches the ball"...yet he hasn't really "taken it to the house" in over a year. He had a long run against Fresno. Maybe 1 more during the season? All his other TDs were shorter yardage runs. Nothing like his first 6-7 games of 2010. His YPG are way down. 25% of his 2011 season (as far as rushing goes) came against Fresno. Another 20% against Cahattanooga. If last season is any indication....he's good for 40-60 yards a game. So are a lot of other QBs in this league. And I GUARENTEE you if we had a passing QB that could keep a defense honest...we'd easily replace that 40-60 yards on the ground when our RBs don't have to run against 8 in the box.

Defenses have neutralized Taylor. We all were hopeful the second half of the 2010 season was injury and not scheme...but I think it's obvious that it's more about defenses having film on Taylor and being able to scheme to stop him. He didn't score a TD in the last 7 games of 2011. Loading 8 in the box opens up other things in the defense, creates weaknesses which is great. But what are those? Passes. So if we can't exploit the weekness that is exposed what's the point of exposing it in the first place?

And have you counted the dropped passes? only a few really mattered. none cost us a game. Rex putting the ball on the turf at the 5 yard line had more impact on a game than all the drops combined but no one harps on him. 2 drops against Minnesota? who cares. every team has drops...blaming our lack of a passing game on 8-10 dropped passes throughout a season is "horsesh!t" and plays like a broken record.

Ka-boom!

Well said.

hello sh#t......meet the fan!