Jason Whitlock apologizes for Jeremy Lin comment

GSG

Jason Whitlock apologizes for his unfunny Jeremy Lin comment on Twitter

You're an NBA fan. Dissatisfied with the typical online outlets, you're coming to an NBA-obsessive blog on a Monday to read more than what the more orthodox NBA media outlets are giving you. You search and you scour for takes and columns and Tweets and video and you'll do it all again come Tuesday morning. Tell me, have you ever read a Jason Whitlock column on the NBA? Do you even think to go to him when NBA news breaks?

Jason Whitlock knows this. He's also an unfunny boor with a massive ego, and the combination of those factors plus his NBA irrelevancy leads to Twitter comments like this, in the wake of Jeremy Lin's brilliant 38-point performance against the Knicks on Friday night:

"Some lucky lady in NYC is going to feel a couple of inches of pain tonight."

There are funny jokes, and then there are unfunny jokes that mix with needless racial stereotyping and the laziness that comes from not even bothering to look up the fact that the Knicks would be flying to Minneapolis directly after Friday's game.

On Sunday, after much criticism and derision, Whitlock
:

I then gave in to another part of my personality - my immature, sophomoric, comedic nature. It's been with me since birth, a gift from my mother and honed as a child listening to my godmother's Richard Pryor albums. I still want to be a standup comedian.

What kills me about this "incident," is that Whitlock is always one of the first to throw out the race card/stereotyping angle when it benefits a "story" of his.

This is clear racism; no if's, and's or but's. If I were his employer, this would be immediate grounds for termination.

And no, it's not racism. If anything, it's just a stereotype. How do you conclude racism with that comment? He didn't say anything bad about his race. Enough already.

It's a stereotype about his race, hence it's racist.

This is clear racism; no if's, and's or but's. If I were his employer, this would be immediate grounds for termination.

And no, it's not racism. If anything, it's just a stereotype. How do you conclude racism with that comment? He didn't say anything bad about his race. Enough already.

It's a stereotype about his race, hence it's racist.

If you actually believe that is racist then something is wrong. That isn't racist and even if he does say something racist who cares? It's his right to say whatever he wants. Enough already with this PC garbage. He was making a joke, one that I thought was pretty damn funny. Everybody just needs to relax.

It is his right to say whatever stupid thing he wants. But that doesn't mean there aren't repercussions for saying anything he wants. Nor does it mean he can't be fired for saying such things (he can).

Pretending it's not racist is silly. Let's not pretend. Just because it's racist doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It just means that Whitlock is ignorant. But we already knew that.

It is his right to say whatever stupid thing he wants. But that doesn't mean there aren't repercussions for saying anything he wants. Nor does it mean he can't be fired for saying such things (he can).

Pretending it's not racist is silly. Let's not pretend. Just because it's racist doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It just means that Whitlock is ignorant. But we already knew that.

It's not racist. It was a joke and a funny one. So if he was a black guy and said some lady is going to feel ten inches of pain tonight would that be racist? Um, no!

It's not racist. It was a joke and a funny one. So if he was a black guy and said some lady is going to feel ten inches of pain tonight would that be racist? Um, no!

Yes. It would. Your failure to grasp that doesn't make it not racist.

Yes. It would. Your failure to grasp that doesn't make it not racist.

Then I guess that we will just have to agree to disagree. :)