Best (and worst) early BCS title bets (ESPN)

AFhusker

The Huskers haven't gone through spring practice, summer conditioning, or fall camp and we ALREADY have people forecasting 8-5?

I mean I understand it isn't really plausible to bank on a national title due to all the little things which must go our way during a season, but holy jupiter batman...let's have just a shred of optimism.

Or maybe the players should follow the "realists" lead and just give up. :dunno

• Fire 1

8-5 and 7-6 are possible predictions. I get that. But they are not logical. There's no reason to look at this team and say "meh, they'll lose 5or 6 games" as opposed to "well these 2/3 games could be losses, and these other 1/2 probably will be". I just dont understand. It all stems from a bad end to this previous season that had a lot of intangibles. Let's list a few. New coaches/coaches handling different roles, Young players, ALL OVER THE PLACE, unfamiliarity of opponents (new conference), completely assenine preseason expectations, still some downers of the end to 2010, and so on. 2011 was step back and sometimes that happens. 1972 was a step back. 1984 was a step back. 1996 was a step back. 1998 was a step back. 2002-2007 was about 26.4 steps back. You get the drift. "Rebuilding years" happen. They happen to everyone. Alabama won the National title in 09 and went 9-4 the next season? Texas played for the National title in 09 and have lost 12, 13 games since? And the whole "we dont rebuild, we roload" theory is crap. EVERYONE has to rebuild now and then. For those that say last year was a step back, well yeah it was, but that's no reason whatsoever to suspect that 2012 will be another step back because their is just as much if not more evidence to support that it could be a giant leap forward.

• Fire 1

I don't think anyone really wants Bo gone.

Oh, yes. Many people do. They are still the minority, but they are serious, and some of them are quite vocal.

Bo is not everyone's cup of tea. Some folks really, really do not like him.

An interesting use of words when stated as "some folks really, really do not like him." For me, it is not about liking him or not liking him. I do not know the man... so I have no basis for liking or not liking him. The notion of liking Bo or not liking Bo is a complete non-issue for me... it does not even cross my mind as a thing to assess. It is not personal... at all.

I do think that he was a poor hire. I think that he has done some things well --- most things not very well --- and a few things horribly. That is... I think his performance has been pretty unacceptable. I'd love for a new (new to NU), experienced, proven and effective head coach to come in with a proven staff and take the helm.

Again. Nothing personal against Bo. I want NU to prosper sooner rather than later... and think a new leadership is the best and most efficient manner for forward progress to be made.

That said... as long as Bo is at the helm I want to see him improve and get this thing righted --- I support him and wish him well. If he and his staff can get this team playing hard and solid fundamentally sound football this team will improve dramatically --- that is the rate determining step for forward progress for NU football --- what will it take to get solid, consistent hard fought intense focused effort out of our players? If Bo can do that... great. If not... then let another have their shot.

I'd guess that my perspective is held by an array of others who post here too (though... I cannot be certain). In any event, at least for me... and I surmise most others too... it is not an issue of liking Bo or not liking Bo. It is an issue of how to get this team to be what we all want them to be.

• Fire 1

We have been terrible at closing out seasons with Bo. Imagine if we got off to a rough start and then can't close.

2008 - 4-1 in our last five games, including winning the bowl game.

2009 - 4-1 in our last five games, including winning the bowl game.

2010 - 2-3 in our last five games, including losing the bowl game.

2011 - 2-3 in our last five games, including losing the bowl game.

We've had rough endings the last two years. Not the first two.

That said... as long as Bo is at the helm I want to see him improve and get this thing righted --- I support him and wish him well. If he and his staff can get this team playing hard and solid fundamentally sound football this team will improve dramatically --- that is the rate determining step for forward progress for NU football --- what will it take to get solid, consistent hard fought intense focused effort out of our players? If Bo can do that... great. If not... then let another have their shot.

I'd guess that my perspective is held by an array of others who post here too (though... I cannot be certain). In any event, at least for me... and I surmise most others too... it is not an issue of liking Bo or not liking Bo. It is an issue of how to get this team to be what we all want them to be.

That's pretty much my view. I fully support Bo and think he's got us headed in the right direction. I don't even mind the fiery temper so much--just as long as he doesn't go apesh#t like he did against aTm a couple years back. But he is certainly not perfect. He doesn't do a very good job of getting young guys in for PT to build depth, even though we seem to burn a lot of redshirts. And I'm not a big fan of our two-gap DT technique. But what do I know? I'm just some football fan with an internet connection.

There are a wide range of perspectives here, ranging from yours, robsker, to those who truly do not like Bo, all the way to the other side of the spectrum of those for whom Bo can do no wrong.

true enough....

I think the link that binds is this --- we all want to see NU football prosper (except perhaps our badgerfan guy)....

This is why I love posting on and reading the posts of others on this board. It is a fun distraction that unites a divergent group of people in a common thing... a love for NU.

This board is still, by far --- the best place for Husker fans to be --- even if we disagree as to how to get NU relevant again... we all want NU to be relevant.

We have been terrible at closing out seasons with Bo. Imagine if we got off to a rough start and then can't close.

2008 - 4-1 in our last five games, including winning the bowl game.

2009 - 4-1 in our last five games, including winning the bowl game.

2010 - 2-3 in our last five games, including losing the bowl game.

2011 - 2-3 in our last five games, including losing the bowl game.

We've had rough endings the last two years. Not the first two.

(SIGH) You stole my thunder on this one.

I don't think anyone really wants Bo gone.

Oh, yes. Many people do. They are still the minority, but they are serious, and some of them are quite vocal.

Bo is not everyone's cup of tea. Some folks really, really do not like him.

An interesting use of words when stated as "some folks really, really do not like him." For me, it is not about liking him or not liking him. I do not know the man... so I have no basis for liking or not liking him. The notion of liking Bo or not liking Bo is a complete non-issue for me... it does not even cross my mind as a thing to assess. It is not personal... at all.

I do think that he was a poor hire. I think that he has done some things well --- most things not very well --- and a few things horribly. That is... I think his performance has been pretty unacceptable. I'd love for a new (new to NU), experienced, proven and effective head coach to come in with a proven staff and take the helm.

Again. Nothing personal against Bo. I want NU to prosper sooner rather than later... and think a new leadership is the best and most efficient manner for forward progress to be made.

I'm kind of with you here. Second half of this more than the first. I don't necessarily think Bo was the bad hire...I think his coordinators and some of his staff are the bad hires. (which ultimately means Bo as well since he's the one putting that staff together). Those 10 guys will have far more of an impact on the success of this team than an Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. Mattison is a perfect example of that in Michigan. I don't think Nick Saban could win here like we want him to with this staff. I don't think Urban Meyer could. I don't think Bo can. They are good coaches...but they are position coaches in a role far above their head. We don't have that ace recruiter on staff. We don't have solid coordinators on staff. We don't have a large amount of experience on staff. That's where I take issue w/ Bo as an HC. I also have little tolerance for things like the USC game. But that's over (like the last 5-6 blowups) so I'll move on from that. The rest of his issues are ongoing.

I'm kind of with you here. Second half of this more than the first. I don't necessarily think Bo was the bad hire...I think his coordinators and some of his staff are the bad hires. (which ultimately means Bo as well since he's the one putting that staff together). Those 10 guys will have far more of an impact on the success of this team than an Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. Mattison is a perfect example of that in Michigan. I don't think Nick Saban could win here like we want him to with this staff. I don't think Urban Meyer could. I don't think Bo can. They are good coaches...but they are position coaches in a role far above their head. We don't have that ace recruiter on staff. We don't have solid coordinators on staff. We don't have a large amount of experience on staff. That's where I take issue w/ Bo as an HC. I also have little tolerance for things like the USC game. But that's over (like the last 5-6 blowups) so I'll move on from that. The rest of his issues are ongoing.

I'm curious to know what criteria are you basing the coordinators are bad hires? Tim Beck was in his first year of calling plays and Carl Pelini was thought highly enough to be hired as a head coach for FAU. Papuchis has been with Bo, first as a grad assistant at LSU and he's now our DC. Bo operates, in filling positions within his coaching staff, a lot like businesses out there: find someone qualified in house to take over a management position and then find someone from outside the organization to replace the guy being promoted. I don't have a problem with that. Further, I admire Bo for his ability to recognize talent and give people a shot because he remembers when he was a young coach that at one time someone took a chance on him despite his inexperience. Sadly, too many people forget that when they were young, inexperienced, and someone gave them a shot. It's hypocritical to say well somebody gave me a shot but I'm never going to give anyone else a shot once I've progressed in my career--sorry to stray from the point.

The point: I'm willing to wait a couple of more seasons to see what this staff can do once it gets some continuity. My guess? You, I, and everybody else will be very happy with the results.

• Fire 3