Tuesday's shooting is seventh for Scottsdale police officer

The other two cases that went to civil court were not won. They were settled for small amounts. My translation to this would be that the city chose to settle so they didn't have to drag it out and pay attorneys any more fees that would add up higher then the settlement itself, even if the city won. Would you agree with this carlfense? If I was wrongfully shot dead and my family sued, I'd sure as heck hope they sued for millions not $75 grand, lol. So I'm not really sure why anyone would even care about the civil case from what has been posted here, peanuts imo. I'd rather have my city settle for $75k then have a dead cop on their hands because he tried to shoot the criminal in the arm.

I'm sure it's not uncommon...and I'm sure it's not uncommon for the other side to agree to settle for own reasons. Are there any studies that show these cases get settled out of court more often than other civil suits? That is a better question to ask.

all you did was list a bunch of facts, but none show there was an in imminent threat. What he did at a different location to different people doesn't make what happened w/ the cops IMMINENT. None of the thngs you listed show any deadly force was imminent. Do I need to post the def of imminent?

You have to look at it from the officer's perspective. Angry and irrational gunman retreats into his home. Comes out holding baby (hostage?!) in front of his face and body. He is holding a black object (gun?!) in his hand. He lowers the baby from his face and makes some sort of motion to his right. (Raising gun? Lowers baby so he can see to aim?)

*boom*

Hostage?? nice ASSumption.

Raising gun?? nice ASSumption

Lowers baby to aim?? nice ASSumption.

Oh man...this is awesome. :) You know it wouldn't be to sweet except for how arrogant and cute you've been throughout this...mostly earlier on granted. And you're a lawyer? Has to suck to have your butt handed to you by a regular Joe like me. :)

Where was the imminent threat from Saddam.

but, but...he gassed his own people...

but, but...he wasn't following UN resolutions

but, but...he invaded Kuwait.

and where was the imminent threat?

Were you hoping I wasn't going to go back to the police protocol I had posted earlier? :)

You apparently forgot your manners when you came to this board. The great CB mod would have suspended me for such an outburst. I would think you would have more class than this but from what I remember from you being a mod this is about right. I think the old saying "do as I say not as I do" comes to mind. :hmmph

and a 3 pointer in college basketball is only 2 points in the NBA....you only need one foot in bounds for a catch in college FB...2 in the NFL.

Looks like you're qualified.

obfuscate audio-yrxp37.gif

Some people are experts at obfuscating the truth by being evasive, unclear, or obscure in the telling of the facts. The people who are good at obfuscating would include defense lawyers and teenagers asked about their plans for Saturday night.

What is your argument?

Civil or criminal. Your choice.

We're all at the edges of our seats.

Looks like you're qualified.

obfuscate audio-yrxp37.gif

Some people are experts at obfuscating the truth by being evasive, unclear, or obscure in the telling of the facts. The people who are good at obfuscating would include defense lawyers and teenagers asked about their plans for Saturday night.

What is your argument?

Civil or criminal. Your choice.

We're all at the edges of our seats.

I don't feel the need to argue it. I simply said I thought it'd go civil and not criminal. I never pretended to be a lawyer. I'm wondering how much success you have in the court room if you're this eager to have a show down w/ a layman on a sports message board. I mean...I understand how in baseball they will send a guy down to the minors to hone his skills and build confidence...but at least that's in the same profession. I don't think they send them to the YMCA.

I can sort of understand wanting to help people understand the law, but in that case I would think a confident secure lawyer would do so in a humble way and not in a crass arrogant manner. But maybe the stereotypes for lawyers is true...

I don't feel the need to argue it. I simply said I thought it'd go civil and not criminal. I never pretended to be a lawyer. I'm wondering how much success you have in the court room if you're this eager to have a show down w/ a layman on a sports message board. I mean...I understand how in baseball they will send a guy down to the minors to hone his skills and build confidence...but at least that's in the same profession. I don't think they send them to the YMCA.

I can sort of understand wanting to help people understand the law, but in that case I would think a confident secure lawyer would do so in a humble way and not in a crass arrogant manner. But maybe the stereotypes for lawyers is true...

Wait a second . . .

Oh man...this is awesome. :) You know it wouldn't be to sweet except for how arrogant and cute you've been throughout this...mostly earlier on granted. And you're a lawyer? Has to suck to have your butt handed to you by a regular Joe like me. :)

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/57998-tuesdays-shooting-is-seventh-for-scottsdale-police-officer/page__view__findpost__p__923853

Now you're humble, innocent, and being unfairly picked on.

Your inability to form a coherent argument, despite your repeated declarations of victory, is noted. Are we done here?

• Fire 1

all you did was list a bunch of facts, but none show there was an in imminent threat. What he did at a different location to different people doesn't make what happened w/ the cops IMMINENT. None of the thngs you listed show any deadly force was imminent. Do I need to post the def of imminent?

You have to look at it from the officer's perspective. Angry and irrational gunman retreats into his home. Comes out holding baby (hostage?!) in front of his face and body. He is holding a black object (gun?!) in his hand. He lowers the baby from his face and makes some sort of motion to his right. (Raising gun? Lowers baby so he can see to aim?)

*boom*

Hostage?? nice ASSumption.

Raising gun?? nice ASSumption

Lowers baby to aim?? nice ASSumption.

Where was the imminent threat from Saddam.

but, but...he gassed his own people...

but, but...he wasn't following UN resolutions

but, but...he invaded Kuwait.

and where was the imminent threat?

Were you hoping I wasn't going to go back to the police protocol I had posted earlier? :)

You apparently forgot your manners when you came to this board. The great CB mod would have suspended me for such an outburst. I would think you would have more class than this but from what I remember from you being a mod this is about right. I think the old saying "do as I say not as I do" comes to mind. :hmmph

and a 3 pointer in college basketball is only 2 points in the NBA....you only need one foot in bounds for a catch in college FB...2 in the NFL.

And if ifs and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas!! :wasted

• Fire 1

Wait a second . . .

http://www.huskerboa...post__p__923853

Your inability to form a coherent argument, despite your repeated declarations of victory, is noted. Are we done here?

+1

Wait a second . . .

As stated many times...on page 1 I said it didn't stand a chance in criminal court, but would prob go civil. You ignored that and tried to get me to argue the criminal side anyway. I argued why I thought it was an unneeded shooting but not in any legal sense...just common sense. I'm not a lawyer..I don't know all the ins/outs of the law concerning this.

I never said nor implied i was being picked on...and I did start out very humble in this thread until you ignored my post on page 1. I admitted I was wrong about shooting him in the leg...I admitted (page1) it didn't have a chance in criminal court. Those 2 facts make me far more humble in this thread than you.

Can you explain why you insisted on arguing the criminal side after I said it had no chance?

Wait a second . . .

As stated many times...on page 1 I said it didn't stand a chance in criminal court, but would prob go civil. You ignored that and tried to get me to argue the criminal side anyway. I argued why I thought it was an unneeded shooting but not in any legal sense...just common sense. I'm not a lawyer..I don't know all the ins/outs of the law concerning this.

I never said nor implied i was being picked on...and I did start out very humble in this thread until you ignored my post on page 1. I admitted I was wrong about shooting him in the leg...I admitted (page1) it didn't have a chance in criminal court. Those 2 facts make me far more humble in this thread than you.

Can you explain why you insisted on arguing the criminal side after I said it had no chance?

Because he is a lawyer and wants to win, I think that is simple enough!! eyeswear2allthatsholy

Ah yes . . . let's take a little trip down memory lane . . .

Oh man...this is awesome. You know it wouldn't be to sweet except for how arrogant and cute you've been throughout this...mostly earlier on granted. And you're a lawyer? Has to suck to have your butt handed to you by a regular Joe like me.

I feel your frustration of putting so much time into a losing "case" vs an average joe on the internets. Where did you go to law school?

You had time to find that site between smelling your own farts?

Didn't realize you were famous.

You were just trying to have an academic discussion of the pros and cons of this purely civil case (even though you only cited criminal protocols) and now you're getting picked on. I'm sorry. Next time we’ll be more gentle.

• Fire 1