Tuesday's shooting is seventh for Scottsdale police officer

I posted this earlier but didn't see a reply. Maybe it was missed.

BIGREDIOWAN...is the Colorado protocol pretty standard? Does it differ from yours and if so how? I'll call Scottsdale PD Monday to see if I can get a copy of their protocol.

I don't know where that post is and haven't read the entire thread, but I wouldn't know if it was standard from state to state. I know how Iowa does it.

Is Iowa's any different than this?

officer is justified in using deadly physical force upon another person . . . when he reasonably believes that it is necessary to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force.

If so, how?

Nope the "reasonable person" standard is pretty much used to judge all actions in law enforcement. In fear for my life or another is the basic standard to be justified in the use of deadly force.

If you find the Scottsdale protocol I will laugh quietly and then ask you to find the legal standard.

why laugh quietly, hell I'd laugh out loud

I suppose.

He appears to be much better at saying that he won arguments than he is at actually winning arguments.

I'm still waiting patiently for his argument. I kind of like this being on the defense. You can just sit back and poke holes in arguments. :)

BIGREDIOWAN...is the Colorado protocol pretty standard? Does it differ from yours and if so how? I'll call Scottsdale PD Monday to see if I can get a copy of their protocol.

I don't know where that post is and haven't read the entire thread, but I wouldn't know if it was standard from state to state. I know how Iowa does it.

officer is justified in using deadly physical force upon another person . . . when he reasonably believes that it is necessary to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force.

If so, how?

Nope the "reasonable person" standard is pretty much used to judge all actions in law enforcement. In fear for my life or another is the basic standard to be justified in the use of deadly force.

There is no official protocol in Iowa for this like there is in Colorado?

If you find the Scottsdale protocol I will laugh quietly and then ask you to find the legal standard.

why laugh quietly, hell I'd laugh out loud

I suppose.

He appears to be much better at saying that he won arguments than he is at actually winning arguments.

I'm still waiting patiently for his argument. I kind of like this being on the defense. You can just sit back and poke holes in arguments. :)

Didn't realize you were famous.

If I find ether I'll post it.

No worries. I found it for you.

ether.jpg

Cactusboy- what happened? The wind seems to have gone out of your sails. You spent around a dozen posts claiming that you were right or that you had won. I asked you to prove it up . . . and all you can do is post Southpark videos about farts.

Do you remember the posts where I said that you were bluffing? I believed that at the time . . . but I guess I expected you to have something better than 2 - 7 off-suit.

Anyways. You can still redeem yourself. Use the standard. Apply the facts. Prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't think that you can do it. :(

If so, how?

There is no official protocol in Iowa for this like there is in Colorado?

I have no idea what you're trying to get at? We abide by the State law, that's it. Our policies and precedures and the way we operate are based on State law. Would a reasonable person in like circumstances do the same thing. That's how we are judged in Iowa.

While late to the party, perhaps this will help...

Pursuant to Graham v. Conner, 490 U.S. 386 (1987), determining whether an officer used excessive force - including the use of deadly force - requires an analysis under the Fourth Amendment's "objective reasonableness" standard. Citing Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985), the Graham Court specifically stated that in determining "objective reasonableness" one must look at the totality of the circumstances. The totality of the circumstances can include information provided through a 911 call (there are several hundred cases in support of this, so I won't bother citing all of them, but for anyone interested, you can start with Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), and work your way through all the refinements of subsequent decisions).

Therefore, the term "imminent threat" in cases of determining excessive force is not limited to just the circumstances or facts observed by the officer at the scene. It can include non-scene facts and circumstances that are known to the officer. This includes, but is not limited to, information from 911 calls.

Given the information in the 911 call, coupled with the facts and circumstances present at the scene, I'd have to say that this justified the use of deadly force, and does not constitute excessive force.

For what it's worth...

• Fire 2

Pursuant to Graham v. Conner, 490 U.S. 386 (1987), determining whether an officer used excessive force - including the use of deadly force - requires an analysis under the Fourth Amendment's "objective reasonableness" standard. Citing Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985), the Graham Court specifically stated that in determining "objective reasonableness" one must look at the totality of the circumstances. The totality of the circumstances can include information provided through a 911 call (there are several hundred cases in support of this, so I won't bother citing all of them, but for anyone interested, you can start with Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), and work your way through all the refinements of subsequent decisions).

Therefore, the term "imminent threat" in cases of determining excessive force is not limited to just the circumstances or facts observed by the officer at the scene. It can include non-scene facts and circumstances that are known to the officer. This includes, but is not limited to, information from 911 calls.

Given the information in the 911 call, coupled with the facts and circumstances present at the scene, I'd have to say that this justified the use of deadly force, and does not constitute excessive force.

For what it's worth...

And that ladies & gentlemen, is how you make a valid point...

I am not worthy

For what it's worth...

eyeswear2allthatsholy

AR, that's entirely too reasoned and sourced for a message board post. Please add several emoticons and semi-trolling comments. YouTube links would also be a plus. You'd think that someone who runs this place would know this stuff. ;)

Well done.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

AR, that's entirely too reasoned and sourced for a message board post. Please add several emoticons and semi-trolling comments. YouTube links would also be a plus. You'd think that someone who runs this place would know this stuff. ;)

Well done.

Don't forget to add several wikipedia links or other links....