The Independent voter

As a registered independent in Nebraska I find myself leaning farther left everyday. I'm young so I try to approach everything with an open mind. I voted for McCain in 2008, being a first time voter he seemed to be more inline with where I thought the country should go (not knowing what lay ahead), but there was major reservations because of his running mate. That said I will most definitely be voting for Obama this time around. I'll admit that I'm pretty ignorant to politics and I'm just now getting deeper into issues and how they will affect all of us, but the way the Republican party is unwilling to compromise or step outside their lines is ridiculous. I think I probably won't be voting for a Republican again unless Chuck Hagel or someone like him is running, I just want someone who isn't afraid to step out and do what is actually right for the country not do the rank and file thing to keep in favor with the party

After reading Bill Clinton's book Back to Work I find myself really agreeing with his ideas. He had some excellent ones for the future of the country concerning energy and the environment, and in turn those would help stimulate the economy. The one thing that really stuck with me from the book is what seems to be the Republican mindset, Jon Stewart briefly touched on it a few weeks ago when he was talking to Grover Norquist. The mindset is essentially this; If we're right then we can never be wrong, therefore no one else can be right, and if we don't get the results we want from our plan we double down and tighten our belts until we squeeze what we want out. You only need to look at taxes to see this sentiment, this is where Stewart's interview came in. Republicans argue till they're blue in the face that raising taxes will destroy our already fragile economy, but in fact the last time taxes were raise the economy continued to grow and flourish. So clearly an absolutist stance on lowering taxes is not the answer. And Republicans unwillingness to budge on this an other issues is a real turn off to someone like me who is you and impressionable.

• Fire 1

I'm a registered Independent. I'll be voting for Obama. My vote for Obama will also be a vote against what the Republicans have become. A Far-Right parody of what they once were. As a former Republican, I am horrified by what the GOP espouses today. It's 2012, not 1612.

Why are you surprised at what the Republicans have become after enveloping christianity? Actually what they are now is pretty reasonable outcome. Notice how most atheists or nonchristians vote for Democrats or Ind because both of those groups don't embrace religion as much.

:hellloooo

< ---- Recovering christian who votes Republican. I believe there is a "god" but that "god" is hateful, sadistic, f*** who laughs at, and thoroughly enjoys seeing people suffer. This "god" created the concept of the "devil" as an excuse to watch people suffer. In other words, "god" loves to watch people suffer, blames "the devil" so he can appear to be loving, kind and caring. It is 100% bs and anyone who falls for that tripe is well... :dumdum

:backtotopic

I know Ron Paul is a christian but he's also the most likely to actually follow through with what he says on the campaign trail.

As a registered independent in Nebraska I find myself leaning farther left everyday. I'm young so I try to approach everything with an open mind. I voted for McCain in 2008, being a first time voter he seemed to be more inline with where I thought the country should go (not knowing what lay ahead), but there was major reservations because of his running mate. That said I will most definitely be voting for Obama this time around. I'll admit that I'm pretty ignorant to politics and I'm just now getting deeper into issues and how they will affect all of us, but the way the Republican party is unwilling to compromise or step outside their lines is ridiculous. I think I probably won't be voting for a Republican again unless Chuck Hagel or someone like him is running, I just want someone who isn't afraid to step out and do what is actually right for the country not do the rank and file thing to keep in favor with the party

After reading Bill Clinton's book Back to Work I find myself really agreeing with his ideas. He had some excellent ones for the future of the country concerning energy and the environment, and in turn those would help stimulate the economy. The one thing that really stuck with me from the book is what seems to be the Republican mindset, Jon Stewart briefly touched on it a few weeks ago when he was talking to Grover Norquist. The mindset is essentially this; If we're right then we can never be wrong, therefore no one else can be right, and if we don't get the results we want from our plan we double down and tighten our belts until we squeeze what we want out. You only need to look at taxes to see this sentiment, this is where Stewart's interview came in. Republicans argue till they're blue in the face that raising taxes will destroy our already fragile economy, but in fact the last time taxes were raise the economy continued to grow and flourish. So clearly an absolutist stance on lowering taxes is not the answer. And Republicans unwillingness to budge on this an other issues is a real turn off to someone like me who is you and impressionable.

The left is just as guilty of this as well. I am very disappointed with both sides in regards to the budget, both say they want to cut spending, but when Defense, SS, Medicare, and Taxes (the raising of) are all considered non-starters, well, we will get nowhere. This attitude is what has pushed me away from the Republicans (although still registered), into more of a Libertarian. My current thought process is: Neither side is serious about spending, or deficit reduction, so they should be forced into a balanced budget amendment, with tax/spending tagged to GDP.

The left is just as guilty of this as well. I am very disappointed with both sides in regards to the budget, both say they want to cut spending, but when Defense, SS, Medicare, and Taxes (the raising of) are all considered non-starters, well, we will get nowhere. This attitude is what has pushed me away from the Republicans (although still registered), into more of a Libertarian. My current thought process is: Neither side is serious about spending, or deficit reduction, so they should be forced into a balanced budget amendment, with tax/spending tagged to GDP.

The bold isn't quite true.

A large compromise plan with entitlement cuts was actually proposed by the left.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-01/obama-s-grand-deficit-bargain-lost-out-to-2012-politics.html

I'll be voting for Obama because it's voting for the lesser of two evils, imo. I have no faith in either party doing something because it's good for the country. They do what's good for whoever lines their pockets. All they have to do to stay in office is trick the ignorant.

• Fire 2

I'm a registered Independent. I'll be voting for Obama. My vote for Obama will also be a vote against what the Republicans have become. A Far-Right parody of what they once were. As a former Republican, I am horrified by what the GOP espouses today. It's 2012, not 1612.

I feel the exact same way about the Democrats. In the words of Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Democratic party, they left me.

I feel the exact same way about the Democrats. In the words of Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Democratic party, they left me.

What changes do you see within the Democratic Party? That isn't a loaded question. I'm interested.

The bold isn't quite true.

A large compromise plan with entitlement cuts was actually proposed by the left.

http://www.bloomberg...2-politics.html

Yes, at the end of July, as the fight over the Debt ceiling was spiraling, and many Dems were themselves against raising taxes on the "rich". This was a political move, much in the same vain of passing a budget through the house that has zero chance of passing the Senate...

Yes, at the end of July, as the fight over the Debt ceiling was spiraling, and many Dems were themselves against raising taxes on the "rich". This was a political move, much in the same vain of passing a budget through the house that has zero chance of passing the Senate...

Political move or no . . . can you provide a similar example from the right?

What changes do you see within the Democratic Party? That isn't a loaded question. I'm interested.

The Democrats have:

1. Embraced the lunatic fringe green movement. It's not that I think we should pollute the environment for kicks and giggles, it's just that in the 4.6 billion years of this planet our climate has shifted from hot to cold multiple times without any contributions from humans ala the internal combustion engine.

2. Worked to abolish the 2nd Amendment entirely and have ever so slowly chipped away at our rights to even own firearms.

3. Sought to remove "god" from every aspect of our society and culture. I'm not religious and I think praying to "god" is a waste of time but it doesn't bother in the least to walk into city hall or a school and see a copy of the ten commandants. I simply ignore such displays because my freedom from religion does not trump anyone else's right to practice. And if a majority of people want those ten commandments displayed then that's okay with me.

4. Ensured that the federal budget has increased every year, more social welfare programs are added, more people are covered with the goal, at least from where I'm sitting, to get every single person sucking on at least one governmental teat. I'm not against helping people but welfare should be a helping hand up not a permanent way of life.

5. Ruined our education system. Every year our kids seem to get dumber, test scores, graduation rates, and overall scholastic achievement especially in critical subjects like math and science is on a downward spiral--or at least is far below where it should be.

http://www.huffingto...s_n_793185.html

6. Created a system where lazy deadbeats, and by this I mean the occupy crowd and those who have similar attitudes, think that they are owed a high paying job with a high six to seven figure salary with benefits. And if they don't get it then it is not their fault. It's because of the "evil" 1% who aren't taxed enough.

That's just a start of why I feel that the Democrats have left me.

The Democrats have:

1. Embraced the lunatic fringe green movement. It's not that I think we should pollute the environment for kicks and giggles, it's just that in the 4.6 billion years of this planet our climate has shifted from hot to cold multiple times without any contributions from humans ala the internal combustion engine.

2. Worked to abolish the 2nd Amendment entirely and have ever so slowly chipped away at our rights to even own firearms.

3. Sought to remove "god" from every aspect of our society and culture. I'm not religious and I think praying to "god" is a waste of time but it doesn't bother in the least to walk into city hall or a school and see a copy of the ten commandants. I simply ignore such displays because my freedom from religion does not trump anyone else's right to practice. And if a majority of people want those ten commandments displayed then that's okay with me.

4. Ensured that the federal budget has increased every year, more social welfare programs are added, more people are covered with the goal, at least from where I'm sitting, to get every single person sucking on at least one governmental teat. I'm not against helping people but welfare should be a helping hand up not a permanent way of life.

5. Ruined our education system. Every year our kids seem to get dumber, test scores, graduation rates, and overall scholastic achievement especially in critical subjects like math and science is on a downward spiral.

http://www.huffingto...s_n_793185.html

6. Created a system where lazy deadbeats, and by this I mean the occupy crowd and those who have similar attitudes, think that they are owed a high paying job with a high six to seven figure salary with benefits. And if they don't get it then it is not their fault. It's because of the "evil" 1% who aren't taxed enough.

That's just a start of why I feel that the Democrats have left me.

I see. I don't think much of that is correct but if you believe it then your choice doesn't surprise me.

If you ask teachers what the most damaging thing to our nation's schools has been they'll tell you it's No Child Left Behind - a Republican initiative. Not sure what you think the Democrats have done to damage the school systems. The article you cited is from 2010, and cites a three-year AFP study, meaning the bulk of the study you're pinning on Democrats came from George Bush's legislation.

The Federal Budget issues you're bringing up include pork from both parties, including George Bush's many wars.

You are vastly misrepresenting the position of the Occupy crowd by calling them lazy deadbeats. I'm certain there are lazy people in the crowd, but the majority of them work for a living.

• Fire 2

If you ask teachers what the most damaging thing to our nation's schools has been they'll tell you it's No Child Left Behind - a Republican initiative. Not sure what you think the Democrats have done to damage the school systems. The article you cited is from 2010, and cites a three-year AFP study, meaning the bulk of the study you're pinning on Democrats came from George Bush's legislation.

The Federal Budget issues you're bringing up include pork from both parties, including George Bush's many wars.

You are vastly misrepresenting the position of the Occupy crowd by calling them lazy deadbeats. I'm certain there are lazy people in the crowd, but the majority of them work for a living.

Our education system is in decline. It must be the fault of the left. Why? Because the right is . . . well . . . right.

• Fire 2

Most teachers I know don't agree with No Child left behind because it is very unrealistic. But if you ask them it isn't the most damaging, the most damaging are the parents to our nation's schools. If you look at any child you will be able to predict the outcome very accurately based on the child's home life. Those parents who take an interest in their child's education tend to flourish, those who are left to their own devices flounder. Those children who are neglected and come to school dirty and hungry; very seldom do you see them succeed. Those children who are verbally/physically abused or see their parents shoot drugs rarely care about school. They much bigger worries in their lives. Parents from what I have heard are the biggest indicator of success or failure of a student. :boxosoap

Most teachers I know don't agree with No Child left behind because it is very unrealistic. But if you ask them it isn't the most damaging, the most damaging are the parents to our nation's schools. If you look at any child you will be able to predict the outcome very accurately based on the child's home life. Those parents who take an interest in their child's education tend to flourish, those who are left to their own devices flounder. Those children who are neglected and come to school dirty and hungry; very seldom do you see them succeed. Those children who are verbally/physically abused or see their parents shoot drugs rarely care about school. They much bigger worries in their lives. Parents from what I have heard are the biggest indicator of success or failure of a student.

That's really nice, Johnny. We're talking about the damage that government has caused to schools, though.