The next step - April 11, 2012

I think the next 3 weeks are VERY important. Not everything can be solved at once, but there is an opportunity here to get better.

1) Coach Miles needs to get his staff solidified ASAP, so that they can evaluate and recruit with guns loaded.

2) I believe he can practice the team while the tourney is going on. That is an opportunity to evaluate the current players to see how they fit in his system. If some players don't fit, he will need to let them know where they stand and how much playing time they will get over their career. The sooner this happens the better for both players and coaches.

3) He needs to get some key signees.

A) I would rescind Fahro's LOI since he got kicked off his JUCO squad. This gets us back to 13.

B) I would put Christopher on Medical Hardship. Too many injuries and continued issues. I would go after Biggs so that they have an experienced PG that can guard in the B1G.

C) I would get an answer from Diaz on whether he will be back or not. Right now. If he is fully committed to coming back I would take a chance on the feet.

d) Evaluate current team. There could be a player or two that do not fit. That would allow an additional ship or 2

Interesting points. It may be complicated by the fact that we have had so much turnover, we might be in jeopardy with the ncaa .....unsure how exactly this works or might play out, but have heard we are close...

IF they can practice while the tourney is going on (first I've heard of this ??), that would be a no-brainer.

Agreee 100% on Diaz. Either in or out, but no summer long drama.

The Fahro boot was part of 11 players ALL getting the same punishment was it not??............I'd at least get his take on the circumstances.

Biggs has publicly stated he wanted to go to Nebraska............let him!

And of course, continue to pursue Agoy.......only to LIncoln, not Ft. Collins

Finally, utilize some of the 2 million we heard about for a head coach by putting it to the salaries of top assistants and recruiters.......Especially Coleman

Had to take a phone call...so I wan't quite finished.

E) Call other current LOI guys and tell them where they fit. If someone doesn't fit then grant them a release. IMO they will keep them all, outside of Fahro.

F) If you can't fill a ship with a quality player, then hold onto it for next year or try and get a transfer. It looks like he has done well with transfers.

Comish I definitely agree with paying some $ to keep/get top assistants.

Blackshirt's .....Make sure you wish for a tourney game next year! (Of course you may have waay to many candles to make it come true.

I think the press conference touched on a few of these items. They are going to do due diligence on the assistants and take whatever time they need. Sounds like they won't rush the process to account for the recruiting period. So I missed that one. Here is an article on the staff approach.

http://huskerextra.c...e9100664a4.html

I know he said he will focus on H.S. players. I wonder if that means he will not go for Biggs? You'd be putting a lot of pressure on Parker, Gallegos and Hilliard who was hurt a lot this year. I don't know if any of them are ready?? I guess it depends on the scholarship situation too. I also wonder if he will redshirt some of the freshmen who played this year. I expect there will be some shakeup.

Might have a schollie open up with Jerran Young. His tweets when Doc was fired was that he was going to look for a new school.

Sounds like he is committed to the coach rather than the University.I don't know if Coach Miles will try to resell. I think it will be a parting of the ways.

Coleman though wants to play for the U and I think will be a Husker. I am hoping Parker & Shields are solid too. Shields early on sounded like

he was committed to the University rather than the coach, don't know about Parker but I hope he is as I think he's a great player and fit. We need him.

With losing a ton of players to graduation, i dont think we are in the position to release warm bodies right now.

Returning players:

Almeida-Medical hardship/redshirt: This is huge to have back and will give Diaz some time to catch his breath and also play the 4 which will give him a size advantage. I think Almeida is KEY to this team being successful next year.

Diaz- Continued issues with legs/feet will make this a question mark. I dont know the extent, but if there is a surgery you can do on his feet, you need to do it to solve this

Fox- If we are a serious contender, he should not be playing. I like Fox but the kid is a benchwarmer at best.

Gallegos- He has lived in Docs doghouse for so long, i think that a new coach might be what he needs.

Hilliard- Young guy, who will have a chance to see some minutes with the mass exodus of guards.

Kurkowski- See Fox

Menke- See Fox

Moore- He will probably have a chance to start. Great young talent who needs minutes to grow/learn.

Niemann- Feel bad for the guy but he only should see time if Diaz/Almeida are hurt or if we are up/down by 40. Guys knees are in horrible shape and he cant be physcial which makes him useless.

Rivers- Has nice dreads... needs to put muscle/;weight on his body to be able to play with the big boys. He will have a chance to gain some minutes.

Talley- Has some skill but has Toney McCray like moments where he thinks he needs to shoot the ball 40 times. He will be a starter all year.

Tyrance- Probably a see Fox guy but we dont know because havent seen him play much/at all and we are weak at Guard

Ubel- Guy is a beast who works harder than every single other player. He should start at the 4 and be a captain/leader for this team. He doesnt have a ton of skill but he is a hard worker and a guy i think Miles will fall in love with.

Guys not returning:

McCray-Had all the talent in the world...had the mindset of a 6 year old.

Richardson- Kind of got tucked behind Bo... never became the leader i hoped for

Walker-sort of got lost in the shuffle this year but he was a sparkplug

Spencer-Loved his ability but no one around him helped him.

Dont know a ton about the incoming recruits, but i took a quick look on ESPN..

Shavon Shields seems like a guy who will be a strong player and get some good time.

Benny Parker will see time because of lack of help at the PG position

Fahro/Coleman will add much needed size

Young will add depth.

Best thing for Miles to do is work through the next 2 years and get his guys on this team. Hard workers and re-build this team.

Interesting points. It may be complicated by the fact that we have had so much turnover, we might be in jeopardy with the ncaa .....unsure how exactly this works or might play out, but have heard we are close...

Not sure what you r talking about here 'mish? Help me out.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Blackshirt's .....Make sure you wish for a tourney game next year! (Of course you may have waay to many candles to make it come true.

Wouldn't normally do this but just couldn't help myself.

C'mon FWF one too many A's one too few O's.

Sorry man as I said, couldn't help myself. :)

T_O_B

G>B>R

T_O_B

G>B>R

I thought I read fairly recently that you can be in scholarship trouble with the NCAA IF you have over a certain amount of team turnover..............again, not exactly sure how that plays out, but it seems like there is a rule to discourage running players off and you need to account for it..........

If somebody has more detail or can shed some light on this, please post....................(maybe I've got it wrong).........

T_O_B

G>B>R

I thought I read fairly recently that you can be in scholarship trouble with the NCAA IF you have over a certain amount of team turnover..............again, not exactly sure how that plays out, but it seems like there is a rule to discourage running players off and you need to account for it..........

If somebody has more detail or can shed some light on this, please post....................(maybe I've got it wrong).........

They interviewed the President of the NCAA earlier today and they discussed NCAA rules and how there is a need for reform and going to a rule book that is more common sense. He cited a rule that states it is OK to treat a recruit to a bagel, its considered a snack, but there is creame cheese on it its not OK because its considered a meal. There are way too many rule writers in the world who justify their jobs by writting incredibly stupid rules and oh yes laws, watch out Washington if this guy runs for President the whole country will vote for him.

T_O_B

G>B>R

We'll be OK because I don't think the NCAA knows that we are playing basketball here.

Wait a minute. We play men's BB at Neb. C'mon, we may have been putting 5 guys out on the BB floor but we haven't played BB in a long time. Please, please, please Coach Miles build us a BB team.

T_O_B

G>B>R